Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By currentodysseys
  • 1 Post By currentodysseys
  • 1 Post By Cloverdale4
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default voice control only works on data

Hi all. I had a look in the forums and saw a couple of relevan mentions but nothing confirming it:
    voice control on bb10 only works using data, this is a fact (pic attached).

For sure some / many of you already know but I guess that some others might be in my place of ignoring this fact and in order to avoid them finding out the hard way like I did, I thought it useful to post.

Also if anyone knows what kind amount of data the app uses for basic functions (eg is it a voice generated command that leaves the phone to the server or voice data and approx what consumption this might make) would be greatly appreciated if informed here.
    It is a great functionality, works very well and is super useful (especially when driving) but not knowing its consumption makes it hard to use unless on wifi in my case.

Please if you know details and can enlighten all feedback is much appreciated!

Thank you very much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails voice control only works on data-img_00000054.jpg  
    Common logic was introduced in order to balance the absurdity of common perception, then we invented marketing and messed it all up again.

BarBerryan by choice
    CrackBerry Master

not sure if the Z10 has a built in sound processor, but if it doesnt understand a command, it will prompt you to search the web.
    Bold 9000 -> iPhone 5 -> White Z10 -> Passport
    Playbook 16GB
    Thanked by:
    currentodysseys (02-24-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

What happens is that initiating the app if you have data off it will directly prompt for Internet connection, so I guess it is all data based.

Thanks for your commenting!

Posted via my Z10 using CB10
    Common logic was introduced in order to balance the absurdity of common perception, then we invented marketing and messed it all up again.

BarBerryan by choice
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    779 Global Posts

Default voice control only works on data

So is every other service as well. That's just way too much stuff and probably hardware intensive for the phone to crunch. So you're waiting for it to send it to the server and crunch it and return the info to you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thank you for your comment!
    My thoughts refer to more to the simpler stuff, like calling someone through voice control. No doubt this could work locally. This I mention because the voice command to make calls is quite important (eg calling when you drive over bluetooth) and did work locally in previous OSs. I know this is a whole new generation for BB voice control and that the whole programming is different but it would be very valuable to be able to perform basic functions like making a call through voice when no internet connection is available imo.

BarBerryan by choice
    Cloverdale4 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Arrgh man that sucks.All these voice things suck they all reliant on some server somewhere.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by RECOOL View Post
    Arrgh man that sucks.All these voice things suck they all reliant on some server somewhere.
    My Torch had a non-sophisticated voice recognition call on the handset and was super useful. The voice control in the Z10 is very useful and quite nice but the fact remains: no data no voice recognition software operation and that is something I personally consider to be a downside as to minimum be able to call using voice (as explained in previous post).

Another thing I would like to know is the data consumption that comes in using the features of the voice recog. soft on the Z10, at least I like to know what resources I use as my plan will not be unlimited since BIS is not supported and I need all data I can get for my mail. (the other day I had about 100mb in 24 hrs while on Bis my max consumption in 3 years in a month was 650mb.... so every little data usage counts for me now... (I still really love the Z10 though!).

BarBerryan by choice
    lactose likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Totally agree. It is understandable that some functionality must operate externally but simply using voice to call someone or create a voice note (ie. simply record speech), that should be able to be performed within the device and without downloading an app. As you stated, the simpler voice commands seemed to operate locally on previous OS's.
    Thanked by:
    currentodysseys (03-10-2013) 
    currentodysseys likes this.