I'm a mobile phone enthusiast and came on the scene after Blackberry's reign. I've been following BB10 and specifically the Z10(Gorgeous device) but I left iOS because it was boring and I want to know what BB10 offers that iOS does not? Just from looking at videos and photos, the OS looks a lot like iOS. Anyway, thank you for giving a newbie some info
    01-06-13 04:49 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-bb10-761032/

A good read/place to start. Once your done that read up on QNX. Thats the nuclear fusion that holds it all together. No joke!
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-06-13 05:02 AM
    Ok, so the only thing blackberry has for it to differentiate itself is a predictive keyboard and a hub? While still looking like iOS?
    01-06-13 06:50 PM
    Different OS, and different way of handling tasks. You'd also have the RIM/BBM ecosystem.

I don't see too many similarities outside the physical appearance, frankly.
    01-06-13 06:56 PM
    Ok, so the only thing blackberry has for it to differentiate itself is a predictive keyboard and a hub? While still looking like iOS?
    Hmmm, that sounds rather dismissive, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Benefits of BB10 over iOS:
    • True multitasking
    • Easier navigation between running programs
    • Easier management of running programs
    • Expandable memory
    • Time-shifting camera
    • Constant ability to monitor incoming messages
    • SERIOUSLY cool keyboard

That keyboard goes somewhat beyond "predictive". First off, the keys are much wider than those on iOS, particularly in portrait mode. Much easier to type on, even without the new features. Second, the prediction scheme is apparently more adaptive, and pays more attention to the way you write as an individual. Third, the ability to "flick" words into the output is frankly brilliant, and I can confirm it's a game-changer. It's an honest productivity-booster.
    01-06-13 07:23 PM
    Rumored screen sharing will also be a differnce also the time shift camera.
    01-06-13 08:19 PM
    Removable battery
    HDMI out
    Better HTML5 compliance
    Higher ringmark score
    01-06-13 09:33 PM
    Why do you have a troll face? I can not take you seriously.
    meganVee and 8lackberry8 like this.
    01-06-13 09:45 PM
    Genuine curiosity, mathking606. I have some friends that really love Blackberry and I was wondering what it set itself apart from the current offerings. BB used to be on top and then got stupid(I assume like Google and Apple are doing now) and fell. I've been looking at the preview videos and such. While Thunderbuck's answer as to what Blackberry has and iOS does not, I can only assume the average consumer will look at both and choose the iPhone because it is familiar and will have the bigger app store. I'm seriously not trolling or anything. I was interested because I wanted to get the z10 and have never had a blackberry before.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-07-13 12:06 AM
    Genuine curiosity, mathking606. I have some friends that really love Blackberry and I was wondering what it set itself apart from the current offerings. BB used to be on top and then got stupid(I assume like Google and Apple are doing now) and fell. I've been looking at the preview videos and such. While Thunderbuck's answer as to what Blackberry has and iOS does not, I can only assume the average consumer will look at both and choose the iPhone because it is familiar and will have the bigger app store. I'm seriously not trolling or anything. I was interested because I wanted to get the z10 and have never had a blackberry before.
    I think some consumers will certainly see it that way. I don't think all will. In fact, I think there are many current iPhone users who will seriously consider the Z10. I've spoken to several who got quite excited over the keyboard, for instance, and then ranted on at length about how much they hated the iOS keyboard.

And as for sheer numbers in an app library, we're starting to hit a bit of a wall. There really are only so many "good" apps out there. Both iOS and Google Play have their share of garbage apps that will never see a download. They're crowded markets and there's getting to be less and less incentive for devs to stay in (particularly with Android--what version do you even target anymore?). We've seen instances where developers were able to port iOS and Android apps over to the Playbook and immediately saw better sales just because they didn't have as much competition. BB10 is going to blow that right open, since even with mediocre sales it will increase the QNX device pool from about 2 million devices today (all Playbooks) to perhaps 20 million a year from now.

What's even better, an awful lot of the apps for iOS are what I'd call "2nd tier". They're decent, localized apps, maybe for a furniture store or a media outlet, and the odds are very good that such apps are coded in HTML5. The vast majority of those apps can be ported almost instantly, and if BB10 does decently well there will be pressure on such businesses to do so.
    01-07-13 12:59 AM
    Well tbh these are only the features that RIM has shared with us and I have a feeling that they have a few big announcements come January 30th. Oh and JD thanks for giving BlackBerry a shot and at least taking a look to see what it offers beforing dismissing it.
    01-07-13 01:16 AM
    BB10 is going way beyond phones. That's why I suggested you read up on QNX.
    There's a good chance we are at an inflection point with m2m connectivity QNX is going to drive that market. As others attempt to get in they just might notice their OS is just not equipped!
    Let's not forget about NFC. Apple made a mistake not having that in ip5. But I guess they only want their customers To continue to upgrade.
    01-07-13 05:20 AM
    i wouldnt say it looks like ios.. at all..
    meganVee likes this.
    01-07-13 07:18 AM
    Lest we forget, another huge difference is RIM security. Then there's data compression. Neither is BB10 exclusive, but make it distinctively BlackBerry.
    01-07-13 08:15 AM
    OP,

As there have been many answers to your question I won't go over them again. However my wife is an "average" IOS user. She has some apps but mostly does browsing and social media stuff. She likes her IOS.

So from her point of view whats the incentive to switch?

1. Browsing experience= faster and better.

Those 2 things right there may "convert" a lot of people because the number 1 issue I think on mobile is the web experience.
    01-07-13 08:31 AM
    maybe the OP is looking for a more WOW factor...?? but lets try to help win him over ; >

iOS is just plain boring.. everytime my Mom has an issue with her iphon4s and she comes to my house she asks me to fix it..it's the same crap as when i had the iphone 1... but u already know this..

i think for me what really gets me excited is really a new way of using a phone.. you REALLY have to use BB10 in order to fully understand HOW it is different and i think that'll be RIMs biggest challenge.. yes you can show the HUB and PEEK and FLOW.. but how beautifully everything REALLY truly flows and integrates itself into the the UX is just awesome!

the gesture based controls are intuitive but yet fun to use.. the no more home button or back button to get back to apps, what you were doing etc etc is the thing of the past! the keyboard is probably theeee best touch screen one on the market.. it's not only predictive but it LEARNS everything you type.. the more you type the more it recognizes and knows what u want to type next.. i have Swift Key 3 on my nexus 4 and yes it does a great job, but not as well as the BB10 keyboard..having the option to swipe up words it just awesome.. i know the keyboard is built on the swiftkey engine, but what RIM did with it to tweak it really out performs swiftkey 3.

i really do hope we get some of the major apps on BB10.. but other then APPS everything is different from iOS.. but yet because all these smartphones try and accomplish the same thing (i.e. organizing your life into one device) you cannot help to have similarities..
    01-07-13 08:57 AM
    The visual appearance of any phone says nothing about usability, features and functionality, stability, performance (or lack of these critical areas).
    meganVee likes this.
    01-07-13 09:11 AM
    Yes, security, security, security... I travel in security unfriendly places, like Saudi, India and the United States, BB is my first choice.
    01-07-13 09:55 AM
    I'd add a few things that BlackBerry already does;
    -easily attach files, ect to email
    -NFC
    -Apps run in the background (i.e. when using evernote on iOS, you need to leave it open long enough for it to sync, with BlackBerry, I can close it and move on (as long as I leave it running in the background)
    01-07-13 02:58 PM
    If apple can market do not disturb I'm sure RIM will have some distinct things about BB10.
    01-07-13 04:10 PM
    Read this link, any questions after that I'd like to here them.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...phones-761294/
    01-07-13 07:09 PM
    I would choose a smart phone because I prefer the format and because it has the apps that I need (not because it has the most).
    ctuffy and Branta like this.
    01-07-13 07:15 PM
    You'll have to watch the Launch on January 30th to see what differentiates itself from the other options!
    01-07-13 07:30 PM
    If apple can market do not disturb I'm sure RIM will have some distinct things about BB10.
    and look how well taht turned out!
    01-07-13 07:34 PM
    I think some consumers will certainly see it that way. I don't think all will. In fact, I think there are many current iPhone users who will seriously consider the Z10. I've spoken to several who got quite excited over the keyboard, for instance, and then ranted on at length about how much they hated the iOS keyboard.

And as for sheer numbers in an app library, we're starting to hit a bit of a wall. There really are only so many "good" apps out there. Both iOS and Google Play have their share of garbage apps that will never see a download. They're crowded markets and there's getting to be less and less incentive for devs to stay in (particularly with Android--what version do you even target anymore?). We've seen instances where developers were able to port iOS and Android apps over to the Playbook and immediately saw better sales just because they didn't have as much competition. BB10 is going to blow that right open, since even with mediocre sales it will increase the QNX device pool from about 2 million devices today (all Playbooks) to perhaps 20 million a year from now.
    What's even better, an awful lot of the apps for iOS are what I'd call "2nd tier". They're decent, localized apps, maybe for a furniture store or a media outlet, and the odds are very good that such apps are coded in HTML5. The vast majority of those apps can be ported almost instantly, and if BB10 does decently well there will be pressure on such businesses to do so.
    You have a terrific way of explaining things so even a simple rookie like me can totally understand. I always look forward to your posts. Thank you.
    01-07-13 07:39 PM
51 123