http://crackberry.com/how-access-eng...-blackberry-10

There you go. My Verizon Z10 gained 6+hours of battery life, just because I can now toggle LTE.

The Z10 is now the best device.
    05-30-13 10:52 AM
    Yep, I can turn off LTE on AT&T:

With LTE on:
    Attachment 166824

With LTE off:
    Attachment 166825
    lwaysluking and jrdba like this.
    05-30-13 01:05 PM
    WOW!!!!
    Thanks for this guys.
    I'm going to have to master the use of the engineering interface. I've been wanting an LTE toggle for my "imprisoned" ATT Z10 for exactly that reason!
    thenjustinsaid likes this.
    05-30-13 01:36 PM
    WOW!!!!
    Thanks for this guys.
    I'm going to have to master the use of the engineering interface. I've been wanting an LTE toggle for my "imprisoned" ATT Z10 for exactly that reason!
    No problem!

I've gained so much battery life. I can't believe this isn't mentioned more often lol
    lwaysluking likes this.
    05-30-13 01:44 PM
    No problem!

I've gained so much battery life. I can't believe this isn't mentioned more often lol
    I wonder if it's because it wouldn't be too hard to turn our phones into junkpiles with our misuse of "the force"! LOL
    05-30-13 01:56 PM
    Does this toggle stay on after a reboot or does it reset itself once the phone is restarted?
    05-30-13 01:58 PM
    I wonder if it's because it wouldn't be too hard to turn our phones into junkpiles with our misuse of "the force"! LOL
    Haha. That's a good point! That may be so
    05-30-13 01:59 PM
    Does this toggle stay on after a reboot or does it reset itself once the phone is restarted?
    That's a good question. I'm not sure. Anyone have the answer?

I'll try it later if no one answers soon
    05-30-13 02:00 PM
    Toggle stays on after reboot. Just rebooted mine.
    05-30-13 02:06 PM
    What is the difference between 4G LTE and just 4g?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 02:06 PM
    What is the difference between 4G LTE and just 4g?

Posted via CB10
    Speed.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 04:24 PM
    Speed.

Posted via CB10
    LTE is extra compression, right? If so, I don't want to suck down more bandwidth.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 04:35 PM
    Yeah I'm also a little confused, how exactly does removing LTE save battery?

@ChrisJaam
    05-30-13 04:58 PM
    AT&T:
    LTE on / Wi-Fi off:
    Attachment 166899

LTE off / Wi-Fi off:
    Attachment 166900

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 05:05 PM
    What is the difference between 4G LTE and just 4g

Unfortunately the concept of "4G" was bastardized for political reasons by carriers who wanted to make sales points and didn't like the "official" definition. So they twisted the arm of the standards-making body until it agreed with them.

So nowadays what "4G" means is basically anything with a download rate better than what you can get with "EDGE" on GSM/3GPP, or EVDO on CDMA/IS-95.

So that means one of the HSPA/HSDPA/HSPA+/LTE protocols, more or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Packet_Access

HSPA+, depending on the specific implementation, can give download rates close to first generation LTE. So AT&T calls that "4G", even though it doesn't meet the original definition of 4G. (I believe on most European carriers, when you are on HSPA or HSPA+ towers, the device will usually display "H" or "H+", instead of "4G" the way the North American carriers tend to do it.)

I don't know if they call HSPA-G1 or HSDPA "4G". But either one of them can provide download rates better than EVDO-Rev-A, which is the fastest version of EVDO commonly deployed. (ie by Verizon)

As far as battery life, it's nice to have the option. Though I could get great gas mileage on my car if I limited it to 35 miles per hour top speed, too.
    SteelGreek and dbollman423 like this.
    05-30-13 05:07 PM
    In theory, if you lived next to a few LTE cell towers, you would not see much difference in battery use. The problem is, LTE is not on every cell tower. Since some carriers won't let you turn it off, your phone is working harder to constantly try getting an LTE connection.

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    05-30-13 05:10 PM
    In theory, if you lived next to a few LTE cell towers, you would not see much difference in battery use. The problem is, LTE is not on every cell tower. Since some carriers won't let you turn it off, your phone is working harder to constantly try getting an LTE connection.

True, but actually LTE also just tends to be more demanding of the battery in general, either because it is running in parallel with another radio (like with Verizon in the USA), or because of the general efficiency of the LTE radio. (The fact that it has higher bandwidth capability, in general, all other factors remaining the same, would imply higher energy usage, at least when transferring at those high speeds.)
    05-30-13 08:16 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I have VZW and my 4GLTE signal sucks at work and kills my battery. Toggled to 3G...will see if this helps because if it doesn't. I can always change it back. ;-)

On my sweet Z10 with CB10!
    05-31-13 12:09 AM
    I just tried this and my phone told me that this mode isn't available. It asked if I wanted to use global settings. I put it back to "None" on "Enable RATs" and my phone is working on LTE.

Posted from my most awesome Z10
    05-31-13 12:59 AM
    I just tried this and my phone told me that this mode isn't available. It asked if I wanted to use global settings. I put it back to "None" on "Enable RATs" and my phone is working on LTE.

Posted from my most awesome Z10
    Mine is on global too, instead if 3g/4g.that is fine.
    05-31-13 06:43 AM
    I hear many complaints about LTE reducing battery life. The fact of the matter is that it really doesn't make that much difference. The main difference comes from the quality of the network. What kills your battery is when your phone has to work to acquire a network connection.

If your in an area with full LTE coverage, your phone will just stay on LTE, but if you have weak LTE coverage, and your phone is set to LTE, what will happen is it will step down to 4G, or lower, and then will constantly scan to pick up the higher networks, and this is what causes the phone to lose battery, because it it constantly is looking for the better networks because that's what has been set in the options. I'm on Rogers and i have pretty solid LTE connection everywhere i go in Ontario, now I'm in Montreal and it's still pretty solid here too, i never turn LTE off. I'm guess that if you have 2 Q10 phones, and 1 is set to LTE all the time with solid LTE coverage and the other set to 4G and has solid 4G coverage, the battery life will be fairly similar, but the LTE will probably die slightly quicker as you are able to get more done in the same amount of time as a 4G network.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 09:59 AM
    I hear many complaints about LTE reducing battery life. The fact of the matter is that it really doesn't make that much difference. The main difference comes from the quality of the network. What kills your battery is when your phone has to work to acquire a network connection.

If your in an area with full LTE coverage, your phone will just stay on LTE, but if you have weak LTE coverage, and your phone is set to LTE, what will happen is it will step down to 4G, or lower, and then will constantly scan to pick up the higher networks, and this is what causes the phone to lose battery, because it it constantly is looking for the better networks because that's what has been set in the options.
    The same thing happens in any weak signal area, whether or not the device supports LTE, 4G, or 3G for that matter.

But in general, the battery usage when having to constantly seek for LTE signals seems to be generally worse because in general the LTE radio on most devices is more power-hungry than the 3G radios, or (it seems) the "4G" variant of 3GPP. (ie HSPA+)
    05-31-13 04:30 PM
    I'm am tempted to try this out, but I have taken a liking to still having data while I'm on calls. Not sure if I want to give that up just yet.

How much of a difference are some of you seeing I'm battery guys?

Posted on my Z10
    06-01-13 07:48 AM
    I'm am tempted to try this out, but I have taken a liking to still having data while I'm on calls. Not sure if I want to give that up just yet.

How much of a difference are some of you seeing I'm battery guys?

Posted on my Z10
    Ever since I turned my LTE off I'm getting on average 4-5 more hours. So all together my vzw z10 lasts about from 8am-8pm with medium to heavy usage.
    06-01-13 08:13 AM
    This is why I LOVE the forums! Thanks guys! I'm going to tinker right now.

Posted with a flick of my thumb via CB10
    06-01-13 10:23 AM
42 12