*Bla1ze's discovery of the Parallax backgrounds in Kris' recent thread here, as well as the added commentary from users like BryanVilla, kwm1337, Mecca EL, khehl, Its Spade, and MasterOfBinary gave me inspiration to create this thread, so in a way, thanks to all of them!*

So I've been sitting on this idea for nearly a year now (seriously, first thought about it way back when Heins started talking about how old the "app carousel" had become), but finally decided to start a thread and post my idea.

So, from the very first smartphones available all the way to iOS7, ICS, BB10, and WP8, we've seen a relatively flat UI for the main "pages" displaying our mobile apps and homepage folders. It really hasn't departed very far from what we're used to seeing on a PC or Mac for the last two decades or so. But after Heins' comments about the app carousel, I asked myself, "How could you really display app/folder icons any differently?"

I then started thinking about our friends from TAT and all the cool UI features that they've demoed over the years, and I thought, maybe a 3D interface is the way to go?

By then we had already learned of the unified inbox's new name (the "Hub"), and that in conjuction with the BlackBerry App World being rebranded to just BlackBerry World made me come up with this:

**Disclaimer** Unfortunately I had to post this thread without access to a desktop/laptop (though my Z10 has held its own fairly well), so I had to grab these pics off Google. I claim no ownership to either image and will gladly remove them if required. That being said, any helpful members here with some graphical knowledge willing to draw up some mock images?

[User Idea] New 3D Homepage/App Carousel Idea for OS 10.3+-3d-model-globe-blue-background.2300.2352.jpg

[User Idea] New 3D Homepage/App Carousel Idea for OS 10.3+-201111_055.jpg

Essentially, the 'globe' would serve as your basic background, and through TAT's magic a background image you selected would be nicely superimposed on the spherical shape.

There would be specific areas or regions (smaller cubic areas as shown in the first pic, or even continental-like shapes) on the surface of the globe to represent an app icon and/or folders, and clicking on the area opens up said app/folder into a 'node' that projects off the surface of the globe (second pic). The apps or folders that were already 'active' (i.e. Active Frame) would remain in that 'node' so that it's highlighted and maybe even show a real time image of the media/data displayed, as is currently on the QNX OSes. The most recent app could project the furthest away from the globe with older apps positioned consecutively closer to its surface. Perhaps the user could even designate "favorites" that would permanently be displayed as a node, kinda like Kevin's 'pin to menu' request for current active frames.

If a user were to use the universal search function, perhaps the globe could spin to the designated spot where the specified app resides?

There would also have to be a way to open BlackBerry World, which may happen by tapping somewhere on the globe to expand it outward (think Tony Stark opening up the new Starkonium element in Iron Man 2) to open the marketplace from 'within' the spherical surface. Or, such an animation could be reserved for another more critical function.

Obviously a few issues arise:

1. How would BBRY seamlessly go from a 3D homepage to relatively flat UIs in pretty much every app on the platform? How would the 'phone' part of the smartphone work, camera, browser, lockscreen, etc.?

2. How would the Hub or other menus be integrated in such an interface? Would we still have the same gestures and would it be weird to 'peek' into the Hub from the homepage if it looked like this?

3. With all that graphical rendering, how much processing power and memory would be required? Could we expect the same smoothness we're seeing with each incremental update to 10.1/10.2?

4. Is this too far from what BBRY planned with the 'Peek & Flow' user experience that they've committed to with BB10? Could you still access your communications from anywhere in the OS (e.g. Use the search function to compose a Facebook status update or Tweet without opening the app/Hub?)

5. Is the average consumer ready for a departure from the standard app carousel and flat homepage UI?

Obviously my idea raises a lot more questions than it probably should, but I figured I'd throw this out there and see what others thought about it. (And if you have better ideas on how to bring novelty to homepage, please share!)

So what say you, CrackBerry?
    Last edited by 00stryder; 07-16-13 at 02:32 PM.
    anon(5818411) and icabb like this.
    07-16-13 07:36 AM
    Cool idea, but is this the BlackBerry way?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 08:18 AM
    Cool idea, but is this the BlackBerry way?

Posted via CB10
    Good question, I have no idea. I don't really think that they'd adopt something so radical, at least not right away with BB10 being so new to the public, but it is something to consider down the road. Because honestly, using the same homepage interface goes against what Heins seems to be focused on, getting people away from jumping in and out of apps.

Posted via CB10 on my white Z10 & lovin' it!
    07-16-13 12:08 PM
    I think it's a cool idea--but sort of gimmicky.

Would there be any real advantage in usability from such a thing? Or is it just for wow-factor?

Also, if some users have had issue with making a transition from the old BlackBerry OS to BlackBerry 10, would something so wildly different turn people away?

I think the idea could work, but would probably be much farther off than 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    07-16-13 01:07 PM
    I think it's a cool idea--but sort of gimmicky.

Would there be any real advantage in usability from such a thing? Or is it just for wow-factor?

Also, if some users have had issue with making a transition from the old BlackBerry OS to BlackBerry 10, would something so wildly different turn people away?

I think the idea could work, but would probably be much farther off than 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    See, you pretty much summarized the main issues I myself have with this idea. While new and innovative, I can agree that it would sorta be gimmicky if not refreshing, and I can definitely see people unable or unwilling to deal with the learning curve. That's part of the reason it took me so long to write this post; I've been thinking about a better way to implement such a change.

So, is there a better way out there to breathe new life into how the app carousel is presented? Or are we stuck for now until the public is more open to such radical UI changes?

07-16-13 02:29 PM
    Me likey

I agree it's a pretty radical change and one that some people would want to turn off.

*Bla1ze's discovery of the Parallax backgrounds in Kris' recent thread here, as well as the added commentary from users like BryanVilla, kwm1337, Mecca EL, khehl, Its Spade, and MasterOfBinary gave me inspiration to create this thread, so in a way, thanks to all of them!*

So I've been sitting on this idea for nearly a year now (seriously, first thought about it way back when Heins started talking about how old the "app carousel" had become), but finally decided to start a thread and post my idea.

So, from the very first smartphones available all the way to iOS7, ICS, BB10, and WP8, we've seen a relatively flat UI for the main "pages" displaying our mobile apps and homepage folders. It really hasn't departed very far from what we're used to seeing on a PC or Mac for the last two decades or so. But after Heins' comments about the app carousel, I asked myself, "How could you really display app/folder icons any differently?"

I then started thinking about our friends from TAT and all the cool UI features that they've demoed over the years, and I thought, maybe a 3D interface is the way to go?

By then we had already learned of the unified inbox's new name (the "Hub"), and that in conjuction with the BlackBerry App World being rebranded to just BlackBerry World made me come up with this:

**Disclaimer** Unfortunately I had to post this thread without access to a desktop/laptop (though my Z10 has held its own fairly well), so I had to grab these pics off Google. I claim no ownership to either image and will gladly remove them if required. That being said, any helpful members here with some graphical knowledge willing to draw up some mock images?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d-model-of-the-globe-on-a-blue-background.2300.2352.jpg 
Views:	2079 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	183096

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201111_055.jpg 
Views:	2077 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	183095

Essentially, the 'globe' would serve as your basic background, and through TAT's magic a background image you selected would be nicely superimposed on the spherical shape.

There would be specific areas or regions (smaller cubic areas as shown in the first pic, or even continental-like shapes) on the surface of the globe to represent an app icon and/or folders, and clicking on the area opens up said app/folder into a 'node' that projects off the surface of the globe (second pic). The apps or folders that were already 'active' (i.e. Active Frame) would remain in that 'node' so that it's highlighted and maybe even show a real time image of the media/data displayed, as is currently on the QNX OSes. The most recent app could project the furthest away from the globe with older apps positioned consecutively closer to its surface. Perhaps the user could even designate "favorites" that would permanently be displayed as a node, kinda like Kevin's 'pin to menu' request for current active frames.

If a user were to use the universal search function, perhaps the globe could spin to the designated spot where the specified app resides?

There would also have to be a way to open BlackBerry World, which may happen by tapping somewhere on the globe to expand it outward (think Tony Stark opening up the new Starkonium element in Iron Man 2) to open the marketplace from 'within' the spherical surface. Or, such an animation could be reserved for another more critical function.

Obviously a few issues arise:

1. How would BBRY seamlessly go from a 3D homepage to relatively flat UIs in pretty much every app on the platform? How would the 'phone' part of the smartphone work, camera, browser, lockscreen, etc.?
    You probably couldn't have everything 3D, but it would be cool to have menus and such superimposed on top of it: like a glass screen.

2. How would the Hub or other menus be integrated in such an interface? Would we still have the same gestures and would it be weird to 'peek' into the Hub from the homepage if it looked like this?
    Hub might be kinda weird.

3. With all that graphical rendering, how much processing power and memory would be required? Could we expect the same smoothness we're seeing with each incremental update to 10.1/10.2?
    It's definitely possible. Games run smooth right? Battery life would be a big issue though.

4. Is this too far from what BBRY planned with the 'Peek & Flow' user experience that they've committed to with BB10? Could you still access your communications from anywhere in the OS (e.g. Use the search function to compose a Facebook status update or Tweet without opening the app/Hub?)
    I don't know.

5. Is the average consumer ready for a departure from the standard app carousel and flat homepage UI?
    I'm imagining my dad getting a phone with this kind of UI... nope. I'm sure I would love it, but I and most people here aren't the average consumer.

This could be made into a prototype though, minus the fancy integration.
    00stryder likes this.
    07-16-13 02:58 PM
    Me likey

I agree it's a pretty radical change and one that some people would want to turn off.

You probably couldn't have everything 3D, but it would be cool to have menus and such superimposed on top of it: like a glass screen.

Hub might be kinda weird.

It's definitely possible. Games run smooth right? Battery life would be a big issue though.

I don't know.

I'm imagining my dad getting a phone with this kind of UI... nope. I'm sure I would love it, but I and most people here aren't the average consumer.

This could be made into a prototype though, minus the fancy integration.
    Thanks for the feedback! A choice between UIs... that's a very plausible possibility, especially with something not as radical as this. Would be like how themes were installed on BBOS, though I know BBRY is moving away from OS themes now.

The battery would definitely take a hit, but with regards to the required processing power I was asking if having the homepage background constantly rendering a 3D image and any animation elements that are thrown in there would eventually become taxing for the GPU? Especially after a user decides to open up a few apps and play games or view media simultaneously.

meltbox360 likes this.
    07-16-13 03:37 PM
    3D user interfaces have been tried before. The problem seems to be that they attempt to

• represent something that isn't 3D (a file, document, app, menu option)
    • as a 3D visualisation
    • on a 2D surface
    • with 2D controls

We've also all seen 3D Excel charts of 2D data, where 2D would be just as effective. The third dimension may look pretty, but makes the chart harder to read and understand.

3D can be very effective for 3D data (such as Google Earth) but not so much for 2D data or abstract concepts. Especially when it's really only a perspective rendering on a 2D surface such as a smartphone screen, and even more so when the controls are only 2D, such as the touchpoints of the touch screen...
    00stryder likes this.
    07-16-13 08:52 PM
    The battery would definitely take a hit, but with regards to the required processing power I was asking if having the homepage background constantly rendering a 3D image and any animation elements that are thrown in there would eventually become taxing for the GPU? Especially after a user decides to open up a few apps and play games or view media simultaneously.
    Not really. The rendering is done on the GPU already anyway, even for 2D stuff. Vectors only need to be recalculated on movement, and these simple shapes would be no problem for a modern GPU. Things that are most taxing for a GPU are switching context, uploading textures and downloading buffers.
    00stryder likes this.
    07-16-13 09:00 PM
    3D user interfaces have been tried before. The problem seems to be that they attempt to

• represent something that isn't 3D (a file, document, app, menu option)
    • as a 3D visualisation
    • on a 2D surface
    • with 2D controls

We've also all seen 3D Excel charts of 2D data, where 2D would be just as effective. The third dimension may look pretty, but makes the chart harder to read and understand.

3D can be very effective for 3D data (such as Google Earth) but not so much for 2D data or abstract concepts. Especially when it's really only a perspective rendering on a 2D surface such as a smartphone screen, and even more so when the controls are only 2D, such as the touchpoints of the touch screen...
    Thanks for the feedback! So, I guess the Parallax living wallpaper-like UI is the closest thing we can expect to see for the next little while?

I guess the better question to ask is, are we tired enough of the current 2D layout to even accept anything radically different?

07-16-13 11:54 PM
    Talk maybe BlackBerry 11/ 12 not 10.3 :P

Posted via my Z10 using the CB10 app
    07-17-13 04:38 AM
    Talk maybe BlackBerry 11/ 12 not 10.3 :P

Posted via my Z10 using the CB10 app
    What can I say, a guy can dream...

But, really by 10.3 and hopefully even with 10.2, I really hope BlackBerry decides to unleash the TAT so to speak and knock people's socks off with their animations and UI ideas. It'd be a shame of BBRY never used their talents to their greatest potential (yes, I am aware that TAT is largely responsible for the Cascades development environment).

07-17-13 05:21 AM
    The only way out of an app carousel would be something like we have already where we can start typing from the home screen to complete actions.

What is needed is a way for the device to distinguish between commands to launch an app and normal typing--otherwise, you could never be in an app and launch another app. Voice programs like Dragon are able to do this to a limited extent. A dedicated command button might achieve such a thing.

Another way out is a peripheral device that uses AI to determine what you're trying to do. Google Glass may become an example of this, but it has a long way to go methinks.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 06:26 AM
    07-17-13 08:16 AM
    The only way out of an app carousel would be something like we have already where we can start typing from the home screen to complete actions.

What is needed is a way for the device to distinguish between commands to launch an app and normal typing--otherwise, you could never be in an app and launch another app. Voice programs like Dragon are able to do this to a limited extent. A dedicated command button might achieve such a thing.

Another way out is a peripheral device that uses AI to determine what you're trying to do. Google Glass may become an example of this, but it has a long way to go methinks.

Posted via CB10
    I like the idea of an expanded universal search/Q10 functionality of launching apps and completing tasks straight from the homescreen by typing in input, though I agree that it would be hard to implement everything and have a way for the system to differentiate between user actions. I think down the road when we can talk to our devices and they respond back (hate to use another Iron Man reference, but like Jarvis), we'll see much more innovative methods of handling tasks and app management.

Or something like this.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?sa=X&ei...ved%3D0CBEQqwQ

Posted via CB10
    That looks awesome, I can't believe it's 2 years old and I've never heard about it! Did Android users not take onto it very well, was it too expensive? That looks like a great way to jump in and out of 2D vs. 3D elements on the screen without making the experience feel too disjointed.

07-17-13 02:47 PM
    Would the carousel use more battery?
    07-17-13 03:37 PM
    Would the carousel use more battery?
    The current carousel or what I suggested in the original post? If you're talking about my idea, I thought so, but another poster said it's not necessarily the case.

07-17-13 04:11 PM
    I like the idea and I think it is cool. I do however think that BlackBerry should file this one for when BB10 has its more pressing issues worked out.

Edit: Best be added as an option.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    07-18-13 06:51 PM
    Sounds like android... the size of the sections sounds like windows... this is an awesome idea though... doubt blackberry will implement this tbh

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    07-18-13 07:28 PM
    I really liked spb's 3d desktop on my old ipaq a few years ago. I don't know why someone doesn't adopt that as the main interface for a phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 07:51 PM
    Sounds like android... the size of the sections sounds like windows... this is an awesome idea though... doubt blackberry will implement this tbh

Posted via CB10
    Which part sounds like Android? Just asking out of curiosity, not interrogating or anything.

Like others have said, it was probably too ambitious to suggest this for 10.3 or anytime soon, but I really do hope that BlackBerry is seriously considering revamping the homepage user experience.

I really liked spb's 3d desktop on my old ipaq a few years ago. I don't know why someone doesn't adopt that as the main interface for a phone.

Posted via CB10
    I'm wondering myself, I guess it just didn't catch on. Which probably means something like this won't either, not any time soon at least.

07-18-13 08:41 PM
    Or something like this.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?sa=X&ei...ved%3D0CBEQqwQ

Posted via CB10
    I used to use this on my HTC hd2.

Posted via CB10 using my flick-ity keyboard .
    07-18-13 09:04 PM
    amazing idea. I to find it rather odd that they went from WebOS on steroids looking UI to a flat design. I watch that video in your OP and then I look at BB10 now; that is a huge leap. I guess they didn't want this whole 3D thing because Blackberry has always aimed for enterprise whether they know it or not (especially with this OS) and they didn't want it to be too gimmicky.
    Hence why we didn't get cinnamon toast (BlackBerry Patents Cinnamon Toast and Predictive Keyboard - N4BB) /
    Tilt API
    (apparently arriving in Github soon for developers)

or anything else TAT has created in the past.

I have no idea what Blackberry is doing. With 10.2 which has mostly every base API minus customization like themes etc(no idea why). It seems like Blackberry is hiding or waiting for something. Maybe they wanna go private then come out with a bang with 10.3 (since maybe it was their plan all along). I have no idea. I've been wondering about it since launch when I got my Z10 and my Q10. Now they come out with a media consuming device like Z30, there has to be something hiding. I'm anxious to find out...
    We need a damn road map and I personally think they are waiting to launch it right when they go Private. Since we are almost at the 10.2MR before late 10.0 and early 10.1 (Blackberry Jam in May) they had the full roadmap for the end of 10.2. 10.2.1 is a complete mystery to us right now and it's bugging me.
    Walking by BB R&D building in Waterloo is like walking by an armed fortress; security guards everywhere 24/7 (I live in the loo) They gotta be hiding something!!!

Sorry that I kind of went off topic a bit haha
    Last edited by khehl; 10-07-13 at 01:23 AM.
    10-07-13 01:01 AM