I notice that useless apps have begun to infiltrate BlackBerry World.

For example, there is now a Root Checker app. There is also a data traffic monitoring app, coolhiNet, which is not functional in BB10 environment. Obviously, both of these have been ported from Android. How they can be included in BlackBerry World for downloading and installation to BB10 devices is mind-boggling and alarming. What is happening to BlackBerry World? Or, more accurately, what is happening to BlackBerry?!

Useless Apps Filling BlackBerry World-bbw-rc.png
    Last edited by pcuser; 12-26-13 at 07:59 AM.
    12-26-13 07:12 AM
    There are many android port apps which only works in android and also there are many native apps which is useless.
    I think BlackBerry should not let this app to BlackBerry app world.
    We dont want many apps but usefull proper native app

My personal opinion is that BlackBerry s android port app strategy is very wrong

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 07:25 AM
    Sure they are. But I don't know how they can allow even useless apps that don't work.
    12-26-13 07:40 AM
    I can be fairly certain that the BB people will ensure that the Android apps won't be able to touch the critical parts of BB10 when the official OS comes out.

Based on my experience with the 1055 leak OS, however, it seems BB10 has not been able to keep Android apps in check, so far. And, as you can see from my experience, the possibility of a slip worries me. It should you.
    12-26-13 07:59 AM
    It appears that no one is checking the apps for quality before they get released in BBW.

Posted via CB10
    oystersourced likes this.
    12-27-13 07:47 AM
    It appears that no one is checking the apps for quality before they get released in BBW.

Posted via CB10
    I very much agree, I really like BlackBerry really, that's why I'm staying in spite of all these, but one can not deny that apps are their main problem, they may not be able to provide better apps compared to ios and android, but at least form a quality assurance team to remove useless apps or some double takes perhaps.

Anyway hope they hear us now

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 08:44 AM
    I notice that useless apps have begun to infiltrate BlackBerry World.

For example, there is now a Root Checker app. There is also a data traffic monitoring app, coolhiNet, which is not functional in BB10 environment. Obviously, both of these have been ported from Android. How they can be included in BlackBerry World for downloading and installation to BB10 devices is mind-boggling and alarming. What is happening to BlackBerry World? Or, more accurately, what is happening to BlackBerry?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBW-RC.png 
Views:	3225 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	233450
    There are those that are sideloading Google apps to run on OS 10. Also, it is reported that soon we'll be able to direct load Google apps via yet to be released OS updates. I believe there's already a leak.

CB10 via Z10 on 10.2.0.429
    12-27-13 09:41 AM
    There are many android port apps which only works in android and also there are many native apps which is useless.

My personal opinion is that BlackBerry s android port app strategy is very wrong

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my opinion as well. Kind of like mixing oil and water, you can force them into the same cup but in the end, nope. I will never understand how someone first come up with the notion "hey, let's take one of the world's more secure platforms, relied upon by many corporations and governments worldwide, and give it the ability to run non-standardized applications from the most insecure and fragmented platform currently on the market!"

I don't mind being told I'm wrong, but that is just how it looks to me and will likely not change. I'm just not a fan of having BlackBerry's OS run apps coded for an entirely different platform and OS. Why didn't they start with their own codebase instead of trying to support someone else's? QNX and Linux are different beasts.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    12-27-13 12:49 PM
    People complain about not enough apps...now too many useless ones. Good grief. Don't download if you don't want it.

Posted via CB10
    howards, bungaboy, ams083 and 5 others like this.
    12-27-13 12:54 PM
    People complain about not enough apps...now too many useless ones. Good grief. Don't download if you don't want it.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly...

12-27-13 01:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Quality control was somewhat stricter at launch time, when there was some effort made to at least make sure stuff would launch.

Less effort likely IS being made now; I'm sure that native-coded apps are evaluated fairly well (and I'd really hope that all paid ones are, too), but once we have native-APK installation available for all users there will be little incentive for Android devs to even bother porting over.

Honestly, there's always been a lot of noise in BB World, though both iOS and Android also have a fair share of garbage in their app stores. I'd like to think that BB10 users are at least a little knowledgeable and are quite capable of filtering garbage on their own.
    Sarek1701 and bungaboy like this.
    12-27-13 01:41 PM
    There are those that are sideloading Google apps to run on OS 10. Also, it is reported that soon we'll be able to direct load Google apps via yet to be released OS updates. I believe there's already a leak.

This has nothing to do with the op, since a blackberry can not be rooted what would a root check app do? Nothing! The apps that are side loaded have a use.

? AT&T Z10 STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 ?
    12-27-13 02:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Totally missed the point.

12-27-13 02:42 PM
    I get the point. That's why BlackBerry has the "Built For Blackberry" distinction.

Posted via CB10
    ams083 likes this.
    12-27-13 02:43 PM
    Inevitable problem.
    12-27-13 02:46 PM
    I get the point. That's why BlackBerry has the "Built For Blackberry" distinction.

Posted via CB10
    The point is that an app that has no function on a platform should not be in their store. There are plenty of ported apps that function good so only choosing bfbb apps isn't the solution (maybe for those totally opposed to a port). That's like having the bfbb app of something in iTunes.

12-27-13 03:02 PM
    Most people are opposed to ported apps....because most people don't know how to install them.

Posted via CB10
    ams083 likes this.
    12-27-13 03:04 PM
    Most people are opposed to ported apps....because most people don't know how to install them.

Posted via CB10
    A ported app installs like any other app in bbw. You might be thinking side load?! Which is a whole different ballgame and not ported but rather converted from apk to bar.

12-27-13 03:06 PM
    So what exactly is the problem with "useless" apps? 95% of the apps are useless to me. What's the difference?

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and ams083 like this.
    12-27-13 03:20 PM
    This has nothing to do with the op, since a blackberry can not be rooted what would a root check app do? Nothing! The apps that are side loaded have a use.

Well...OP identifies two specific apps that have been ported from Android. So it DOES have something to do with him. Anyway, wouldn't a BB WORLD thread be a better place for this?

12-27-13 03:22 PM
    The point is that an app that has no function on a platform should not be in their store. There are plenty of ported apps that function good so only choosing bfbb apps isn't the solution (maybe for those totally opposed to a port). That's like having the bfbb app of something in iTunes.

True but the same can be said for all platforms. Fart apps anyone?

Z10 Running 10.2.1.1925 Take that Mr App Gap!
    12-27-13 03:27 PM

I get it, if it doesn't function at all it shouldn't be in there, sure, but hardly seems worth making a federal case. How many people are actually going to download this stuff?

If it were a paid app, I'd probably be more concerned, but for free stuff? I honestly couldn't care less.
    ams083 likes this.
    12-27-13 03:32 PM
    So what exactly is the problem with "useless" apps? 95% of the apps are useless to me. What's the difference?

Posted via CB10
    The difference is that most of the apps that you find useless still function as described. The root checker app doesn't function on a BlackBerry, period.

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-27-13 05:07 PM
    So what? Don't download it.
    The difference is that most of the apps that you find useless still function as described. The root checker app doesn't function on a BlackBerry, period.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    ams083 likes this.
    12-27-13 05:24 PM
    Clean up has to happen sooner or later. Clean up = removal of scat.

Some might retort that cleanup can be delayed indefinitely, or never done-- after all, in a digital world you can just circumvent it.

Others hope for a clean up.
    12-27-13 06:14 PM
59 123