If I put in a local SIM while traveling internationally (to use data locally without data roaming charges), will my data "accounts" (email accounts, BBM communications) continue to work on my device the same as at home? I know obviosly phone calls and texts won't. When I put the new SIM in, will there be anything I need to do to make this work, such as having to reenter my BlackBerry ID?

If this works, what is a good way to get my BlackBerry unlocked? My carrier won't do it until the phone is paid off. I don't mind paying a nominal amount.

I have a Q10, based in USA, with T-Mobile, traveling to several countries in Asia and Europe this summer.

Thanks!
    -BJ

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 07:41 PM
    If I put in a local SIM while traveling internationally (to use data locally without data roaming charges), will my data "accounts" (email accounts, BBM communications) continue to work on my device the same as at home? I know obviosly phone calls and texts won't. When I put the new SIM in, will there be anything I need to do to make this work, such as having to reenter my BlackBerry ID?

If this works, what is a good way to get my BlackBerry unlocked? My carrier won't do it until the phone is paid off. I don't mind paying a nominal amount.

I have a Q10, based in USA, with T-Mobile, traveling to several countries in Asia and Europe this summer.

Thanks!
    -BJ

Posted via CB10
    This is a tricky question given how carriers in other countries charge for their data plans. TECHNICALLY speaking, yes your data will all work with just a regular data plan because of the fact that BB requires no specific data plan any more. However, some of those regions still force customers onto specific plans in order to use BB services. You really need to look at what carriers you plan on using while there and see what their specific offers are but again, technically speaking, as long as the SIM is data provisioned, everything should just work. As for unlocks, well... http://crackberryunlocking.com
    06-23-13 07:49 PM
    My carrier won't do it until the phone is paid off.
    Are you stating this as a general rule, or something specific to your situation?
    06-23-13 07:52 PM
    This is a tricky question given how carriers in other countries charge for their data plans. TECHNICALLY speaking, yes your data will all work with just a regular data plan because of the fact that BB requires no specific data plan any more. However, some of those regions still force customers onto specific plans in order to use BB services. You really need to look at what carriers you plan on using while there and see what their specific offers are but again, technically speaking, as long as the SIM is data provisioned, everything should just work. As for unlocks, well... CrackBerryUnlocking.com ? BlackBerry Unlock codes, BlackBerry Unlocking, Unlock BlackBerry 10
    If he is using a Q10 as he just said, There is no-way *any* carrier can force him to opt for BB services.
    06-23-13 07:52 PM
    If he is using a Q10 as he just said, There is no-way *any* carrier can force him to opt for BB services.
    No. There still are a few carriers requiring BIS for even BB10 devices. Carriers such as those in the Middle East.
    06-23-13 07:58 PM
    Thanks all. The countries I'm visiting most are Singapore, Indonesia, and France. If I get a SIM that has data compatible with my Q10, will I need to reenter my BlackBerry ID upon startup with the new SIM (or do anything else) or should it just *work*?

As for my unlocking situation, I'm on T-Mobile's new style plans which are $99 down for the phone plus $20/month for 2 years. They won't unlock it until I pay it off (now or later).

Just curious if I'll need to take any action other than just putting in the new SIM.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 08:09 PM
    Thanks all. The countries I'm visiting most are Singapore, Indonesia, and France. If I get a SIM that has data compatible with my Q10, will I need to reenter my BlackBerry ID upon startup with the new SIM (or do anything else) or should it just *work*?

As for my unlocking situation, I'm on T-Mobile's new style plans which are $99 down for the phone plus $20/month for 2 years. They won't unlock it until I pay it off (now or later).
    If you haven't requested a code within the last 90 days and have been a customer for 40 days, you can request a code.

SIM Unlock your phone | Support
    06-23-13 08:13 PM
    Thank you, but I think that is outdated and does not apply to their new plans. Note one of the conditions is being "under a 24 month service contract". With the new plans, there is no service contract, per se.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 08:22 PM
    Thank you, but I think that is outdated and does not apply to their new plans. Note one of the conditions is being "under a 24 month service contract". With the new plans, there is no service contract, per se.
    Well TMO still does have customers with the two year service contracts: those who already are in two year contracts (signed before the SC plans started,) and third party contracts (through Best Buy, Amazon, etc.) Plus if you check the date on that Support KB article, it's May of this year--post-SC transition.
    06-23-13 08:35 PM
    OK, I'll see if I can get an exception. So how do I disable automatic email downloading on my personal email accounts so that I can use BBM before I find a local SIM?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 11:19 PM
    Wasn't unlocking made illegal for phones in USA?

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    06-23-13 11:49 PM
    Wasn't unlocking made illegal for phones in USA?
    Well...somewhat. Within the DMCA (the law that had unlocking as always illegal,) there was an exemption in place for unlocking. Now, that exemption is gone.

But...you can still buy unlocked phones. Or unlock with the carriers' permission. Also, if your phone was bought before January...26th, you can still have it unlocked without any penalties.
    06-23-13 11:57 PM
    That's not true at all. They CAN force you to take whatever plan they want. Some carriers still maintain sep. plans even though it's not required, I said as much in the post. :/

Posted via CB10
    06-24-13 05:13 AM