My first couple of days with a Samsung Galaxy S III has enlightened me one of the "killer apps" of mobile phones: Taking great photos and then quickly sharing them with friends and family.

I've obviously known about this use case for a long time, but having such a great camera built into the phone with such an efficient share UI has really brought this use case to life for me.

It was always hampered previously by either super-crappy or at best mediocre image quality. For example, taking photos indoor with a PlayBook almost always yields either poor or mediocre results. To be fair, the Galaxy S III doesn't solve the problem faced by mobile cameras in low light, but because I'm out-and-about with the camera, I'm usually in good light, and even when I've been indoors, so long as there is a window nearby, the image quality is still pretty good.

The summary is this: If you can combine a killer camera in a mobile phone, and make it incredibly easy and fun to share photos to Facebook (etc), then you have delivered something huge.

That's why I'm really, really hoping that RIM has something up their sleeve for the BB10 camera. At the very least, I hope it's not a mediocre smartphone camera. And, I'm hoping that the share UI for BB10 is killer.

If you ask me, this is a *very* high value target for RIM to hit.
    08-19-12 03:27 PM
    BBOS from OS6 on is probably the best OS on the market for "sharing" pictures. Take the pic, press the BB button or long press the screen (click #1), Click "send to" (Click #2), the pick Facebook, Twitter, BBM, SMS, email, etc to choose with one. Done. BB10 will be as good or better (better camera).
    08-19-12 04:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD