Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Urgent: OMG how do I update Gmail on the device after PW change?

WTF? Im puzzled.

I just changed my Gmail password on the browser on a PC.

However, the BB still gets emails. I expected them to prompt me for the new password at least.

Add on to more mystery, I goto the accounts section under settings and there is no prompt for passwords.

Wow, so how do I change the password on the device? Is it required?

A leading worry is, if my device gets stolen, then there is no way to 'shut the device out' then is there?
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K9K9K9K9K9

Had a look at mine and I don't think your password is saved on your device but transmitted to your gmail account so no worries.

Only if you delete and re-add your account or when updating your OS will you have to log on again.

If your device is stolen, you can locate or wipe it thru the BB Protect website. Make sure to turn it on under System Settings on your phone.

BlackBerry Protect Login - Download BlackBerry Protect and Sign In - US

Keep in mind, a thief with probably remove your battery and sim card right away so you'll probably be pooched anyways.

If you Password Protect your phone, which you should, it will wipe after 10 tries.
    I like hanging around dealerships, telling satisfied customers they bought the wrong car.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by frfghtr View Post
    Had a look at mine and I don't think your password is saved on your device but transmitted to your gmail account so no worries.

Only if you delete and re-add your account or when updating your OS will you have to log on again.

If your device is stolen, you can locate or wipe it thru the BB Protect website. Make sure to turn it on under System Settings on your phone.

BlackBerry Protect Login - Download BlackBerry Protect and Sign In - US

Keep in mind, a thief with probably remove your battery and sim card right away so you'll probably be pooched anyways.

If you Password Protect your phone, which you should, it will wipe after 10 tries.
    Yeah thats my point and also something I want to confirm.

Basically once you've set up your gmail on your BB, thats it. It has access forever. Right?

But the problem is not everyone set up BB wipe, or that its effective. What if the first thing the thief does it turn it off in the settings. That means he will FOREVER have access to the emails without possible recourse against it. Cause guess what, changing your gmail password does NOTHING. Is that right?

If so, WOW. They definitely need to change this. It should be set up so if you change your gmail password, your device no longer has access.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Delete gmail in settings then add again to bring it back to your blackberry, you will be prompted to put your new password. To turn off blackberry protect you will be prompted with your blackberry id password.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by powerdrive View Post
    Delete gmail in settings then add again to bring it back to your blackberry, you will be prompted to put your new password. To turn off blackberry protect you will be prompted with your blackberry id password.

Posted via CB10
    I know.

Im just wondering what is another way to cut off the phone from getting the emails.

From what I understand you cant cut the phone out once it has access.

This is problematic. Say someone steals your phone and they can read your emails for life, theoretically. You cant cut the phone off, even with a password change.

Is there something that can be done on the gmail end? or the hotmail end etc?

With all the talk of good security this is a major lapse in judgement I think.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K9K9K9K9K9

Quote Originally Posted by cbcbcb123 View Post
    Yeah thats my point and also something I want to confirm.

Basically once you've set up your gmail on your BB, thats it. It has access forever. Right?

But the problem is not everyone set up BB wipe, or that its effective. What if the first thing the thief does it turn it off in the settings. That means he will FOREVER have access to the emails without possible recourse against it. Cause guess what, changing your gmail password does NOTHING. Is that right?

If so, WOW. They definitely need to change this. It should be set up so if you change your gmail password, your device no longer has access.
    That's why you Password Protect your phone.

They can't use your phone for anything other than making an emergency call or receiving a call, unless they know or figure out your phone password. If they input the wrong phone password 10 times, the phone will security wipe itself. Don't believe me? Set up a password and try it your self.
    I like hanging around dealerships, telling satisfied customers they bought the wrong car.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,259 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cbcbcb123 View Post
    WTF? Im puzzled.

I just changed my Gmail password on the browser on a PC.

However, the BB still gets emails. I expected them to prompt me for the new password at least.

Add on to more mystery, I goto the accounts section under settings and there is no prompt for passwords.

Wow, so how do I change the password on the device? Is it required?

A leading worry is, if my device gets stolen, then there is no way to 'shut the device out' then is there?
    You can remotely wipe or remotely lock your lost or stolen phone from a computer with Internet access on BlackBerry.com

Trusted Member Genius
    Rockin' a Black STL100-4...Z10 10.3.1.1154, Debug Token ...on Verizon, 64 GB WiFi Playbook.
    HP Elite M9340f Quad Core, OCZ 64GB Vertex 3 SSD +1TB HDD, Vista SP2 Media Center Edition, 6GB Ram,
    Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel with Pedals and Shifter.
    CrackBerry Genius

Yes, there is a way to 'shut it out'... Gmail treats it as a 'trusted application', so all you have to do is go into Gmail, click on accounts, then 'Password and Security', then 'Connected sites & Apps' {edit permissions}, and you will see a list of all the stuff you've logged into with gmail/google.... Including "BlackBerry", you can then just hit "Revoke Access".

Urgent: OMG how do I update Gmail on the device after PW change?-img_00000714.png

Posted via CB10