We've been hearing a lot about the features that will be bundled in BB10 and how tightly the core communications functionality will be integrated into the OS. We've seen leaks of hardware and screenshots of proposed software functionality. We've heard about back-end development that will allow the enterprise to manage BB10 as well as legacy OS 5 and higher. The only thing that I have not heard about, so far, is the plan to migrate critical OS 5, 6, and 7 data to BB10.

When BB10 comes out, I will be disappointed if I'm left at ground zero in terms of being able to migrate (easily) my messages, contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes to a new BB10 device. I'm hoping that along with BB10 developemnt, the DM development team is working on functionality to convert data from 'legacy' OS to a format that can be easily imported into BB10.

Has anyone heard anything about RIM's proposed migration path from OS 5, 6, and 7 to BB10?
    09-10-12 11:13 AM
    Nobody's heard anything because, I believe, they've said nothing... yet.

I agree it's a big concern for many, but I totally expect a solution, probably involving some synchronization through the Desktop program. Maybe through BB Protect...
    09-10-12 11:19 AM
    I've switched BB devices only 3 times, so migrating my contacts etc, has been an interesting process. Not being very proficient at it, I would agree enhancements to DM to enable the transition to be a bit easier would be great.
    09-10-12 11:29 AM
    Good Question. . .I'd love to see more consolidation of things in the cloud. . .BB protect does some sort of OTA back up and it's through you BB ID so i think the makings for simple device stitching is there. . . who knows. . .
    09-11-12 09:49 PM
    since we can bridge and get all our messages on our playbook and the next 2.1 and bridge will be able to bridge text messages i'm sure migrating from java OS to BB10 will be more or less the same
    09-12-12 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD