Hi, I'm in the UK and hence do not have the issue regarding carrier pushed updates that is currently plaguing US bb10 owners. However, on the BlackBerry website, it gives information on how to update via Link. Assuming that the information is accurate, what precisely is the nature of the issue regarding updates in the USA? Simply plug phone into computer, run link, follow prompt on settings screen and you're done? Please enlighten me as it seems to be causing consternation to some people.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.2354 on O2 UK
    07-07-13 01:05 PM
    yes you can update via USB on the PC but it will still just be your carrier. You dont have an option to install any OS you want.
    07-07-13 01:19 PM
    Hi, I'm in the UK and hence do not have the issue regarding carrier pushed updates that is currently plaguing US bb10 owners. However, on the BlackBerry website, it gives information on how to update via Link. Assuming that the information is accurate, what precisely is the nature of the issue regarding updates in the USA? Simply plug phone into computer, run link, follow prompt on settings screen and you're done? Please enlighten me as it seems to be causing consternation to some people.

I'm in Canada so I'm in the same boat as you, I get OS updates in a timely and efficient manner and I've never worried about where or when the next one's coming from. The US issue is not a BlackBerry issue but rather the carriers' reluctance to release OSs and updates on time. Some updates were released months ago to the carriers and in many cases there has been absolutely no excuse for it taking as long as it has for the carriers to have done their thing then release the updates for OTA download. As the carriers haven't released it yet trying to load through Link would be a waste of time as there wouldn't be anything to download.
    07-07-13 01:26 PM
    I see, so if one were to attempt to update a Zed on Link without a sim, would Link then ask for a sim to be inserted in order to determine which update to apply? I only ask as it appears to be an increasingly common practice for certain people as far away as India to obtain UK Vodafone sims for the purpose of updating their Zeds. Obviously OTA is out of the question due to location, so I assume it would be through Link or WiFi. as WiFi is not location dependent but presumably would still require some sort of ping (even if roaming) through the network in order to establish type of device and whether an update is required, i suspect it is being done through link. In order to update over Link, is it not just a simple case of shoving a Tmo sim in the phone (if required) and updating over Link if an OTA is not possible due to coverage? Would this be a solution for those on Verizon or AT&T who did not want to install a leak? Or am i being extremely naive?

07-07-13 02:02 PM
    I see, so if one were to attempt to update a Zed on Link without a sim, would Link then ask for a sim to be inserted in order to determine which update to apply? I only ask as it appears to be an increasingly common practice for certain people as far away as India to obtain UK Vodafone sims for the purpose of updating their Zeds. Obviously OTA is out of the question due to location, so I assume it would be through Link or WiFi. as WiFi is not location dependent but presumably would still require some sort of ping (even if roaming) through the network in order to establish type of device and whether an update is required, i suspect it is being done through link. In order to update over Link, is it not just a simple case of shoving a Tmo sim in the phone (if required) and updating over Link if an OTA is not possible due to coverage? Would this be a solution for those on Verizon or AT&T who did not want to install a leak? Or am i being extremely naive?

If you have a corresponding SIM for a carrier that has updates available I see no reason why you couldn't download updates via Link or OTA. You'd need to make sure your phone is of the correct version as that carrier (including frequency) and that the device is unlocked. Perhaps Vodafone UK and Vodafone India use the same device version and frequency it would perhaps not need to be unlocked. But if you're on Vodafone and use a Virgin SIM, for example, you most likely would need to unlock the device.
    07-07-13 02:10 PM
    Excellent, so a workaround would be :

1. Unlock phone

2. Shove Tmo sim in

3. Run link if not able to get OTA

4. Install update?

U think we've cracked it for our American cousins?

07-07-13 02:17 PM
    Excellent, so a workaround would be :

1. Unlock phone

2. Shove Tmo sim in

3. Run link if not able to get OTA

4. Install update?

U think we've cracked it for our American cousins?

LOL! Perhaps but I would like to think someone's tried that already. What we need to take into account also is the carrier bloatware and whether it's compatible or counter productive when used with the device's ultimate carrier. The ultimate irony is that it's this bloatware that accounts for most delays with the US carriers.
    07-07-13 02:22 PM
    Oh well, worth a shot, i don't understand this bloatware. All we get over here is a splash screen briefly when we turn the phone on and even that changes with the Sim. I was in fact USA recently and i got a pre paid Tmo sim from BestBuy and that worked fine in my Z10STL100-2, i just got a Tmo splash. What is the benefit of carriers putting crap on your phone? And what type of crap is it? I thought the os was BlackBerry's intellectual property and it was illegal for third parties to fiddle with it. I could understand if it was open like Android but in a closed system like BlackBerry or Apple i would have thought that they'd be freaking out by now. Hopefully soon our American cousins will have a taste of the sweet freedom that we in less oppressed countries enjoy. Only today I drove my car on the left hand side of the road. Why America? Because I damn well can, that's why!

Haha just having some fun. Thanks for trying though, I love BlackBerry as they've served me well over the years and continue to do so. I hate it when they receive bad press for something that is not their fault.

07-07-13 04:37 PM