So 12 years ago I started my own business in 2003 and immediately become a Crackberry addict. 20 or so devices later by Christmas 2011 I wanted to try Iphone which I did upto March 2013.

Then I came back swamped my Z10 for Q10 and felt bars apps this is the best smartphone in the world for business .for months now I have felt ultra productive and actually winning business by getting back to people with proper emails on the move faster as the keyboard is that good.

Then Tuesday evening I tried to load os update by Wednesday morning heading to work (after 6 hours updating) it was still stuck on 100%

All day Wednesday same issue so after 16 hours I did battery pull yesterday while travelling the device was simply not working for email sms or even calls as it seemed to have half loaded the OS. I missed calls that cost me the biggest contract of my life and last night had to wipe and re load everything.

As a heavy business user (blackberry target market) how can this happen?
    A simple OS update caused carnage for me (and more I am sure)
    It cost me a contract and twenty percent of my week.

Ios and android updates are always flawless.

I really really wanted Blackberry to be back but the truth is they are missing something and not sure what

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 05:53 AM
    call your carrier and complain to them about updates problems

ps it would be nice to know carrier info as to the problems your refering to it may be carrier related
    just a sugestion

good luck

Here Z10 on telus updated flawless ( ON WIFI) no prolems at all
    08-02-13 06:27 AM
    I'm with you in this, still trying to sort out my Z10 so it works again, away to reset it to factory settings & start from the bottom up. Been a real nightmare not having a connected device. No calls in or out, texts emails not coming through, contacts all to pot, weirdly CB app works but its one of the few that now does.

Now having problems with BlackBerry link as it doesn't so anything when I hit reload OS..headache just gets worse

I'm on O2 in UK by the way

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 06:32 AM
    Sounds to me a carrier issue. Since they are the ones who have to do tests and put their stamp of approval on it
    Complain to them first.
    All my updates went smooth.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 06:36 AM
    So 12 years ago I started my own business in 2003 and immediately become a Crackberry addict. 20 or so devices later by Christmas 2011 I wanted to try Iphone which I did upto March 2013.

Then I came back swamped my Z10 for Q10 and felt bars apps this is the best smartphone in the world for business .for months now I have felt ultra productive and actually winning business by getting back to people with proper emails on the move faster as the keyboard is that good.

Then Tuesday evening I tried to load os update by Wednesday morning heading to work (after 6 hours updating) it was still stuck on 100%

All day Wednesday same issue so after 16 hours I did battery pull yesterday while travelling the device was simply not working for email sms or even calls as it seemed to have half loaded the OS. I missed calls that cost me the biggest contract of my life and last night had to wipe and re load everything.

I really really wanted Blackberry to be back but the truth is they are missing something and not sure what

Posted via CB10
    Honestly sorry to hear about your experience.. and I would love to leave it at that, but there are a few things I couldn't let slide...

First, no updates are always flawless... so, there's never ever been a glitch on any iOS or Android update?? Nope, I just don't believe it.

Secondly, I realize phone calls may have been your main or established method of communication with this business partner, but I'd be more-than-shocked if they didn't have an email address as well for correspondence (accessing it from a desktop/laptop of course as u said emails on your device weren't working)... I know, it should not have had to come to this, but still, anybody worth doing business with has a work email these days...
    08-02-13 06:55 AM
    Well I know you're having problems. But the first 10.1 update was a gift from heaven! It stopped (mostly) the random reboots. To say it sums up BlackBerry as whole is a bit harsh I believe. (ps at least no Blackberries have exploded! ahem...iPhone *cough lol)

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-02-13 07:10 AM
    Software is never perfect.
    I didn't have any problems with my update, and it's unfortunate that you did.

I hope Blackberry does resolve the issue to prevent anything like this from happening again.

Posted via CB10
    Markus Mohr likes this.
    08-02-13 07:21 AM
    Indeed, start with the carriers. They want to be in the driver's seat on how and when they get released. This tends to lump the changes together since it is so difficult to get a change through the carriers. Also escalate to BlackBerry so they can gather all the information for each failure and track down the cause. I don't know If that is why some people had problems when most didn't or if there are other factors. My own phone updated without a problem and is now performing even better than before. I didn't even loose any SMS messages. Mind you I have some rules that I follow:

1. I back up frequently and before any major changes. Initial versions of Link were problematic but I haven't had any issues since the last update to it. Most of my critical data are backed up in cloud services as: mail, calendar, contact servers; Box.Com; Ever Note.

2. I never pull the battery. I have not once since I got this phone. Have never needed to. I ran a Dev Alpha A, with a fixed battery, as my daily phone for months with buggy beta OS code and never had to 'pull the battery'. QNX is not BBOS. You can't be sure that a battery pull two weeks ago left something inconsistent behind that will bite you a month from now. If you can't restart it by holding the power button down then there is enough of an OS still running to intercede. If for some hardware issue you really do have to pull the battery, you should probably also wipe and re-load the OS then restore a backup.

3. I never 'side load' software except my own development programs. Hundreds or even thousands of Android programs may port to the player and run fine... 'Side loading' uses facilities that are designed for developers to get software onto devices for testing. BlackBerry has made the process very easy to remove road blocks from application development. When you are 'side loading' software, you are being a beta tester for a developer that may not even know the software is being tested in that way. Occasionally bad, unexplained and random things happen to systems used for beta testing.
    08-02-13 07:23 AM
    Lesson learned, if you're expecting the biggest contract of your life, why update your phone?? If it wasn't broken, then why fix it. You could have avoided any headache and completed the update well after the contract was a done deal. Don't blame BlackBerry... all manufacturers have issues upon new released hardware and software and then took time to refine the experience. Use common sense, do updates when not in a critical situation
    . Swap Sims from tour new to old phone at the very least before updating to receive important calls.

Posted via CB10
    mattsfk and drewread like this.
    08-02-13 07:31 AM
    Same here! I lost all my text messages! I cannot believe how blackberry can screw up so badly on this!

I am on Vodafone UK

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 07:41 AM
    Honestly sorry to hear about your experience.. and I would love to leave it at that, but there are a few things I couldn't let slide...

First, no updates are always flawless... so, there's never ever been a glitch on any iOS or Android update??
    Glitch? You call what happened a glitch? What would constitute a serious problem according to your sliding scale, accidentally converting the phone into a micronuke?

Let's blame the carriers all through this post. Pathetic.

"Why did you update before an important meeting?" Because the update became available, obviously. If you can't assume that a bona fide carrier update is not going to trash your life why are we bothering? This is 2013 not Windows95.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Caymancroc like this.
    08-02-13 07:45 AM
    hate to break this to you Andorid updates arent flawless as you comment (cant speak to iOS) myself and a firned both have Nexus 7. I updated mine to 4.3 by downloading the stock rom on my pc and had no issues. My friend update OTA and has had no end of issues main one being he cant install any app updates
    08-02-13 07:47 AM
    Indeed, start with the carriers. They want to be in the driver's seat on how and when they get released. This tends to lump the changes together since it is so difficult to get a change through the carriers. Also escalate to BlackBerry so they can gather all the information for each failure and track down the cause. I don't know If that is why some people had problems when most didn't or if there are other factors. My own phone updated without a problem and is now performing even better than before. I didn't even loose any SMS messages. Mind you I have some rules that I follow:

1. I back up frequently and before any major changes. Initial versions of Link were problematic but I haven't had any issues since the last update to it. Most of my critical data are backed up in cloud services as: mail, calendar, contact servers; Box.Com; Ever Note.

2. I never pull the battery. I have not once since I got this phone. Have never needed to. I ran a Dev Alpha A, with a fixed battery, as my daily phone for months with buggy beta OS code and never had to 'pull the battery'. QNX is not BBOS. You can't be sure that a battery pull two weeks ago left something inconsistent behind that will bite you a month from now. If you can't restart it by holding the power button down then there is enough of an OS still running to intercede. If for some hardware issue you really do have to pull the battery, you should probably also wipe and re-load the OS then restore a backup.

3. I never 'side load' software except my own development programs. Hundreds or even thousands of Android programs may port to the player and run fine... 'Side loading' uses facilities that are designed for developers to get software onto devices for testing. BlackBerry has made the process very easy to remove road blocks from application development. When you are 'side loading' software, you are being a beta tester for a developer that may not even know the software is being tested in that way. Occasionally bad, unexplained and random things happen to systems used for beta testing.
    I find all this if-you-do-it-properly-you-wont-have-a-problem smugness midly irritating. It seems that whether or not people have problems is, for the large part, random.

My MR update worked but, like many, I lost all my SMS messages.

But,

1) I cannot backup my device as Link (for Mac) will not backup, despite my running all the latest software. In the same way Remember will not sync for me (I have sought and followed advice here as well as contacting Evernote but with no joy) so that is also a failed failsafe.

2) My calendar and contacts are on the Mac, but iCloud hasn't synced with BlackBerry for a while, so that wouldn't have helped. I did however set up a workaround using Google.

3)I have never battery pulled or sideloaded any Android apps.

So I consider I have been a careful Q10 owner who has taken the relevant precautions to protect my data and not taken any risks that may have compromised it or or my device. Yet the kind of comment above gives the clear impression the author considers it the users fault if they have problems.
    sonic_reducer and Caymancroc like this.
    08-02-13 07:53 AM
    Let's blame the carriers all through this post. Pathetic.
    If you can't assume that a bona fide carrier update is not going to trash your life why are we bothering?
    So if the carrier update doesn't work on the phone, its Blackberry's fault?... wouldn't it be the carrier, since you're assuming that the carrier tested the update to make sure it works without issue?
    08-02-13 07:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree on the part where for some reason BlackBerry 10 software updates are randomly bugging out on some devices but, iOS and Android are NOT always flawless! If anyone thinks that, it is pure ignorance. If you or anyone are suffering from this or any issues contact your carrier and BlackBerry to make sure they stay informed and the issues are rectified.
    08-02-13 07:55 AM
    I'm surprised that someone in business using a Cell as a primary means of communications apparently, would not have a backup device to throw their SIM in. I mean come on now have some common sense. Even me as a simple consumer has a backup device. Yesterday I tried reverting back from 810 to 443 without loading the 331 radio first. No phone calls possible cause the radio did not match. Yep, you guessed it, I threw my SIM into my 9800(SIM adapter) and carried on as if nothing ever happened till I was able to get back in front of my computer.

Any business operator without a backup device leaves me wondering what other corners are being cut?
    FCSC, laketrout73 and mattsfk like this.
    08-02-13 08:02 AM
    Very sorry to hear your story!
    I guess you get bad luck and bad timing there!

One of my best friends just send his new SG4 for warranty since he bugged hard on him after he did an android update that he was popoed to do so. The phone keeping restart until it canot again, and no wipe etc possible, hence he used his warranty/insurance to get that back.
    As a side note, I never encoutered any reboot since I get my q10 (around 3 weeks) updating it to last leak everytime.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 08:14 AM
    To me it seems the OP took the comments of a few people in other update threads and combined all the issues then concocted this lame story of a lost contract because of it. The whole thing really smells of flame bait.

If true, the OP should have contacted the customer to tell them his mobile was temporarily unavailable and provided them with alternate contact info. This "lost customer" did themselves a huge favour not dealing with guy.

Another side note, many people have complained about lost sms messages. While it is nice to have a record of text conversations, text messages should never be relied upon as a permanent record. They were never intended to hold the same level of permanency as emails.

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.1.0.4181 | Bell
    FCSC and MobileMadness002 like this.
    08-02-13 08:25 AM
    As a business owner, i always carry 2 phones. My z10 and the other one is a "dumb" phone where i put my main cellphone in. The z10 use the private number that only my families and close friends knows about it. I can register my main number into the whatsapp in my z10 so my z10 acts as a messaging work horse and entertainment, and the dumb phone only for phone calls (a small nokia phone, doesn't take a lot of space in my pocket).

That way, on weekend i can have a private time by turning off the main number and if there's someone looking for me thru the main number, they can always leave a message thru whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    08-02-13 08:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    First of all 2003 - 2013 not sure how you get 12 years from that. Right thier not being able to do grade 1 math really makes your post questionable.

Second apple updates flawless LMAO!!! right they didnt put out an update that screwed up email for days but i guess thats ok its only apple who screwed up there no big deal (at least that the way media acts). Android update go flawless because by the time the udate is available the majority of android users have moved on to the newest model due to lack of updates.

Third carriers decide an update is safe and won't cause damage. They test them long enough.

I am sorry you lost the contract over this but it is not a BB only issue. apple and google have them too. Just for some reason when it happens to apple or google everyone doesnt blame them or says they arent perfect give them a break, but since it was BB that it happened to everyone says they are the worst blah, blah, blah. For some reason BB is suppose to be perfect with everything while other companies are allowed to make mikstakes.
    08-02-13 08:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Samsung Kies updates are flawless? Really? I never got that memo. Here I thought they were the greatest headache I've ever experienced on a mobile device.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 08:35 AM
    As a business owner, the only time I blame my phone for losing business is when it's my procrastination causing it.

Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4651 via CB10
    08-02-13 08:38 AM
    I have found in the past software updates over wifi on the device are not as reliable as using the desktop link. I too updated this last MR via wifi. I had no issues, however I did do a full back up on link the night prior to both my PC and Mac. I make a habit of this from past experiences.

Posted Via my Z-10
    08-02-13 08:41 AM
    I think every in date no matter the platform will have its hi cups. But I will say that the MR update was less than spectacular. I mean text messages apparently come back after re indexing but still.
    08-02-13 08:41 AM
    To me it seems the OP took the comments of a few people in other update threads and combined all the issues then concocted this lame story of a lost contract because of it. The whole thing really smells of flame bait.

If true, the OP should have contacted the customer to tell them his mobile was temporarily unavailable and provided them with alternate contact info. This "lost customer" did themselves a huge favour not dealing with guy.

Another side note, many people have complained about lost sms messages. While it is nice to have a record of text conversations, text messages should never be relied upon as a permanent record. They were never intended to hold the same level of permanency as emails.

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.1.0.4181 | Bell
    Well his math skills are not that great either 2003 to 2013 is 12 years to him and not the 10 years and 7 months(the most it can be being the begining of august) it actually was.
    08-02-13 08:43 AM
46 12