Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. rav813's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Global Posts
    590 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Unlocking BB10

    With the announcement and all the excitement around BB10, it got me reminiscing of the good ol' days. I remember thinking, "doesn't matter which carrier gets it, because I'm going to buy it and get it unlocked."

    Now, obviously not much can be said about the BB10 capability, but I hope RIM realizes/remembers that one of its selling points was that it was easily unlockable for world-use…a fully functional and upgradable unlock…unlike the iPhone's software unlock which couldn't be updated to the next OS. Weak.

    So RIM, please keep up the great momentum, but also do not forget the little things, like easily unlocked so I can buy mine from any carrier and use it ASAP!

    BlackBerry by Choice.
  2. Bobcat665's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    395 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Man... I hope that RIM doesn't mess around with that. Having Apple messing around with unlocking is bad enough...
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same!
    Storm 9530 -> Pearl 9100 -> Torch 9860
  3. chrysaurora's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,219 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rav813 View Post
    With the announcement and all the excitement around BB10, it got me reminiscing of the good ol' days. I remember thinking, "doesn't matter which carrier gets it, because I'm going to buy it and get it unlocked."

    Now, obviously not much can be said about the BB10 capability, but I hope RIM realizes/remembers that one of its selling points was that it was easily unlockable for world-use…a fully functional and upgradable unlock…unlike the iPhone's software unlock which couldn't be updated to the next OS. Weak.

    So RIM, please keep up the great momentum, but also do not forget the little things, like easily unlocked so I can buy mine from any carrier and use it ASAP!

    BlackBerry by Choice.
    +1 for unlock. But I think you are missing something: BlackBerry has always required two kinds of unlock. One is device unlock/sim-unlock. So, you can put any carrier's sim card in it. And the other is PIN-unlock/PIN-release. And that has always been a bitc*. For eg: when I travel internationally, I am able to swap SIM cards on my Bold because I have it unlocked but I still can not use data because for that I have to call my original carrier and have them release the pin. And that's seldom possible.
    So, yes, RIM should take care of both these issues.
    1. SIM unlock should be easy.
    2. PIN locking should NOT be there in the first place. But if it is there, it should not require calling the carrier. Just authenticate with your BB ID and switch SIM cards or something along those lines.
    ------------------------
    Dear BlackBerry::

    ---------------------
  4. FrankIAm's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,828 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    2. PIN locking should NOT be there in the first place. But if it is there, it should not require calling the carrier. Just authenticate with your BB ID and switch SIM cards or something along those lines.
    What are you talking about, I've used data with other SIMs... Maybe you are on an a**hole carrier
  5. chrysaurora's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,219 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankIAm View Post
    What are you talking about, I've used data with other SIMs... Maybe you are on an a**hole carrier
    No, this is actually a well known issue with BlackBerrys.
    ------------------------
    Dear BlackBerry::

    ---------------------
  6. npisano's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    179 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    No, this is actually a well known issue with BlackBerrys.
    I'm a little confused here too, I must admit. I recently (a few months ago) travelled to Australia with my unlocked Rogers 9810. I put in an Optus (Australian) sim card and had full access to data (internet, gps mapping, BBM, email, sms, etc). What is this well-known issue with blackberries, as I've never encountered it? I've been able to do this with other blackberries too. Am I just lucky?
  7. acrogenesis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    125 Posts
    PIN
    282ed6fe
    #7  

    Default

    i have a rogers 9900 i use it with my telcel sim (mexico) in mexico and usa no problems.
    fyi you can unlock iPhone without software sites like unlockmyiphone.us do that
    Unlock your BlackBerry INSTANTLY at Fixaberry.mx use COUPON "crackberry" and unlock any BlackBerry for $4.95
    Z10 Unlock Any Network - Not Found codes. Only at Fixaberry.mx
  8. anon3740332's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    25 Posts
    PIN
    2900AE70
    #8  

    Default Re: Unlocking BB10

    Not a bad idea if done right
  9. chrysaurora's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,219 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Hmm.. I see. Okay, let me explain:

    BlackBerry service is tied to BIS and/or BES accounts. Usually, when you unlock your phone, you can insert another carieer's sim card. But with BlackBerry's, unlocking of a phone will just allow you to insert somebody else's SIM card and make phone-calls. But it won't release you from your BIS/BES account. So, you'd have to call your (old) carrier and ask them to release your PIN. And then you'd call your new carrier and ask them to create a BIS account for you. Then you'd configure it etc. and your data would start working.

    It appears that with BB OS 6/7 things have changed a bit. Now, email setup works with BlackBerry id. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can explain these changes with PIN release procedure vs. BB ID in new OS 6/7?

    By the way, there are a few other threads that are discussing similar BIS/PIN locking issues. For eg:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...re-bis-755049/
    Removing BIS account
    Just deactivated my BB Service, Have one question
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...e-pins-693677/ (this guy mentions "I've read hundreds of threads where people have to get the carrier to release PINs before you change SIM cards")
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ed-pin-731707/
    ------------------------
    Dear BlackBerry::

    ---------------------
  10. bmercer94's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,033 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    Hmm.. I see. Okay, let me explain:

    BlackBerry service is tied to BIS and/or BES accounts. Usually, when you unlock your phone, you can insert another carieer's sim card. But with BlackBerry's, unlocking of a phone will just allow you to insert somebody else's SIM card and make phone-calls. But it won't release you from your BIS/BES account. So, you'd have to call your (old) carrier and ask them to release your PIN. And then you'd call your new carrier and ask them to create a BIS account for you. Then you'd configure it etc. and your data would start working.

    It appears that with BB OS 6/7 things have changed a bit. Now, email setup works with BlackBerry id. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can explain these changes with PIN release procedure vs. BB ID in new OS 6/7?

    By the way, there are a few other threads that are discussing similar BIS/PIN locking issues. For eg:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...re-bis-755049/
    Removing BIS account
    Just deactivated my BB Service, Have one question
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...e-pins-693677/ (this guy mentions "I've read hundreds of threads where people have to get the carrier to release PINs before you change SIM cards")
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ed-pin-731707/
    Actually never had this issue, my 9300 was a bit slow, i got a 9700, unlocked the 9700 on-the-spot before i purchased it, i did not contact the original carrier, just inserted my SIM and went with it. I then sold my unlocked 9300 to someone, who inserted her SIM and had data immediately. Maybe it's carrier dependent?
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
  11. JIVE8900's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    It won't be that easy to unlock bb10 devices. I've heard that the phones will lockup again after being unlocked. That's a feature being requested by the carriers to stifle the grey market.
  12. LiLAzNNewB's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Hi folks

    Don't know if its possible to post links to other sites here, but I've been reading and seeing a lot of shared links. I don't post often either...! But N4BB confirmed that they will support the unlocking of BB10 devices as they claim it should be similar to the 4G LTE Playbook.

    Take a look here: BlackBerry Z10 and X10 Unlock Codes - N4BB
  13. JIVE8900's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    37 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    See more and more the January 30 launch date make sense. On January 26 it will be illegal to unlock carrier locked devices
  14. shlammed's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    365 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    Hmm.. I see. Okay, let me explain:

    BlackBerry service is tied to BIS and/or BES accounts. Usually, when you unlock your phone, you can insert another carieer's sim card. But with BlackBerry's, unlocking of a phone will just allow you to insert somebody else's SIM card and make phone-calls. But it won't release you from your BIS/BES account. So, you'd have to call your (old) carrier and ask them to release your PIN. And then you'd call your new carrier and ask them to create a BIS account for you. Then you'd configure it etc. and your data would start working.

    It appears that with BB OS 6/7 things have changed a bit. Now, email setup works with BlackBerry id. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can explain these changes with PIN release procedure vs. BB ID in new OS 6/7?

    By the way, there are a few other threads that are discussing similar BIS/PIN locking issues. For eg:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...re-bis-755049/
    Removing BIS account
    Just deactivated my BB Service, Have one question
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...e-pins-693677/ (this guy mentions "I've read hundreds of threads where people have to get the carrier to release PINs before you change SIM cards")
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ed-pin-731707/
    I've heard of something like this....maybe in 2004

    get with the times brah!
  15. LeeNguyen7488's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrysaurora View Post
    +1 for unlock. But I think you are missing something: BlackBerry has always required two kinds of unlock. One is device unlock/sim-unlock. So, you can put any carrier's sim card in it. And the other is PIN-unlock/PIN-release. And that has always been a bitc*. For eg: when I travel internationally, I am able to swap SIM cards on my Bold because I have it unlocked but I still can not use data because for that I have to call my original carrier and have them release the pin. And that's seldom possible.
    So, yes, RIM should take care of both these issues.
    1. SIM unlock should be easy.
    2. PIN locking should NOT be there in the first place. But if it is there, it should not require calling the carrier. Just authenticate with your BB ID and switch SIM cards or something along those lines.
    Was your phone locked to Wind Mobile or Mobilicity?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
  2. Will we get BB10 unlocked and all frequencies like Neus?
    By kraski in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM
  3. BB10 vs nexus 4 Pricing $349 unlocked!!!
    By BB10Apps in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
  4. passwords and unlock for BB10?
    By gjohnsto in forum BlackBerry 10 OS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 05:10 AM
  5. Unlocking BB 8100
    By loconite in forum BlackBerry Unlocking
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions