Can anyone please tell me if BB 10 has UMA/UMALite? I have a 9900 that I rely soley on wifi calling at home because I'm in a Rogers deadzone. Without wifi calling (UMA Lite on the 9900) I would not be able send/receive text message or make/takevoice calls. I cannot find any information on this. If they dropped this on the BB10, how will any Rogers customers like me in deadzones communicate? I live in Toronto and still have reception issues. Can I assume that BBM Voice, via wifi, is UMA-ish? This is a 100% deal breaker for me to upgrade. I can't have a BB10 if I can't text/call at home.
    01-30-13 02:17 PM
    I received confirmation from Rogers at the Blackberry Experience Forum yesterday that the BB 10 device is full UMA.
    lactose likes this.
    02-05-13 10:48 AM
    I received confirmation from Rogers at the Blackberry Experience Forum yesterday that the BB 10 device is full UMA.
    Wow. That is really good news. I've missed UMA ever since I switched to the 9900 from the 9700. I'm stoked.
    02-05-13 10:51 AM
    Wow. That is really good news. I've missed UMA ever since I switched to the 9900 from the 9700. I'm stoked.
    Ditto for switching from the 8900. Loved UMA.
    02-05-13 11:47 AM
    I have a Z10 on the UMA network in the UK and can confirm there is no UMA. No Wifi calling. No nothing.
    And its not in the specs either.
    02-05-13 12:09 PM
    I have a Z10 on the UMA network in the UK and can confirm there is no UMA. No Wifi calling. No nothing.
    And its not in the specs either.
    It's probably enabled on a carrier-by-carrier basis.
    02-05-13 12:21 PM
    I called my carrier (Orange UK) and they said they do not have any settings at the moment, so they didn't say no at least
    Last edited by BB-Marcus; 02-05-13 at 12:28 PM. Reason: added carrier
    02-05-13 12:26 PM
    Took many months and an upgrade after the release of the Torch 9810 with OS 7 before Rogers was able to enable WiFi Calling (UMA Lite). So I woudn't be suprised if the same type of delay happens here as well. There would be no point in Rogers advertising the service from day one it if was not available on the Z10.

Key question is - 'will' they have it someday? I think so. WiFi Calling has always been a differentiator for Rogers and I don't see them giving up on it yet.
    02-05-13 12:56 PM
    I hope someone with some technical experience can answer this question...if I get a Canadian Z10 that works on the T-Mobile network, will I be able to get UMA, presuming the TMO version is released with UMA? Is this something that can be added later through a software upgrade?
    02-05-13 04:53 PM
    Accidental post.
    02-05-13 08:37 PM
    I hope someone with some technical experience can answer this question...if I get a Canadian Z10 that works on the T-Mobile network, will I be able to get UMA, presuming the TMO version is released with UMA? Is this something that can be added later through a software upgrade?
    UMA is a hardware feature. So it's independent of the carrier in the sense that you don't need them to provide any software based implementation (which WiFi calling is.) They do need to support UMA though. I have a Telus 9700 right now that I use as a backup device, and since all 9700s were made with UMA hardware, I can do UMA on it (although it took a bit of work to enable it.)

Re: WiFi calling, I cannot answer that since I've never had a non-UMA BlackBerry. I will say this though: I have a Wind GS3, and just cannot get T-Mobile to hook me up with whatever WiFi calling solution comes baked in to TMO GS3s.
    02-05-13 08:37 PM
    T-Mo usa has phones on UMA, Kineto and IMS (most recent). The Kineto version came as an app upgrade on many Android phones. I believe the current version -- IMS -- does not require a hardware setup the way UMA does.
    02-05-13 09:05 PM
    I will say this though: I have a Wind GS3, and just cannot get T-Mobile to hook me up with whatever WiFi calling solution comes baked in to TMO GS3s.
    Which means it would be prudent to wait for the official T-Mobile release if you really want UMA.
    02-05-13 09:11 PM
    Well now Rogers is saying "I am writing to confirm that UMA is not a feature of the Z10 BlackBerry device. It will also not be included in a future release of BB10 OS on the Z10 device." W T F. I NEED UMA! I have no signal at home!
    02-07-13 02:04 PM
    Well now Rogers is saying "I am writing to confirm that UMA is not a feature of the Z10 BlackBerry device. It will also not be included in a future release of BB10 OS on the Z10 device." W T F. I NEED UMA! I have no signal at home!
    Need to get further clarification - UMA may not be a feature, but what about WiFi calling? The 9810 doesn't have UMA, but it does support WiFi calling, which is an ok option for using the phone in areas with weak cell signals - like my house!
    02-07-13 02:38 PM
    Need to get further clarification - UMA may not be a feature, but what about WiFi calling? The 9810 doesn't have UMA, but it does support WiFi calling, which is an ok option for using the phone in areas with weak cell signals - like my house!
    WiFi calling depends on RIM "developing" the functionality and I guess the carrier releasing it to the customer base. See this for more information.

And are you sure the 9810 doesn't have UMA? I'm pretty sure I saw UMA on the official specs page.
    02-07-13 03:18 PM
    I knew people shouldn't get their hopes up for UMA. Seems like many carriers aren't really supporting it anymore. Such a shame cause for people like the OP, its essential. Great feature that i would love to see return
    02-07-13 03:27 PM
    I'm using "UMA-lite" on the 9900 with OS 7.1. As long as you have the feature on your line from Rogers and the OS is version 7.1 2108 you should be able to use wifi calling on the 9810.
    02-14-13 03:42 PM