Having moved to the 9900 and suffered the lack of UMA, then the introduction of the pseudoUMA (wifi calling) which is just unusable, I recently had the opportunity of using proper UMA again on a blackberry bold 9790.... It reminded me how good proper hardware UMA is and just reaffirmed how much I miss it on my 9900.

SO...the burning question in my mind is WILL BB10 devices have UMA hardware or will RiM make the same mistake again and not include it, or will they just do software UMA?

My hope is that they realised having failed to put it in the 9900 and then subsequently putting it in the 9790 that its one of the things that makes a blackberry great.

PLEASE RIM dont forget what is good about a blackberry and end up producing a flashy look and feel and ignoring function!
    bjw408h likes this.
    08-09-12 04:47 AM
    Wow 111 views and no one knows anything? To my mind uma in hardware is more important than nfc!!

Does anyone 'in the know' have a source at bb they can quiz on this? The hardware design for the new handsets is supposed to be finalised now, so it should be something that should be known internally perhaps?
    08-19-12 06:17 AM
    No one in the Crackberry forums knows anything more "authoritative" than the writers who put blog posts on the main page. Frankly, asking all these "Will BB10 have XYZ?" questions in the forums is a waste of time. All you'll get is rampant speculation and/or people just making stuff up.

The only community members who, today, might know more than Kevin or Bla1ze are developers. And as a result, we only know things that matter to us as developers of 3rd party apps. So if you're wondering what libraries we'll find in the latest BB10 SDK, we might know. But as far as anything user-facing about the system apps or the final devices? Well, RIM's been doing a very good job at keeping most of that completely under wraps.
    peter9477 and sonic_reducer like this.
    08-19-12 11:07 AM
    Thanks,

I guess thiswill be an underlying ability and not user facing as such.

My hope is by asking someone will ask the question of someone else maybe in rim and eventually the answer will come out..

Uma is one of those things you take for granted until its not there...let hope rim havent forgotten it too (as they did with the 9900)
    08-19-12 12:47 PM
    I do not have cellular service where I live, so UMA has been my main motivation when purchasing a phone. I really hope they do put it in. I have not tried the wi-fi calling...is it as bad as you describe? I just figured it was the same thing.
    12-09-12 12:59 PM
    I'm with u OP. I would love to see UMA in there. Its such a GREAT feature. I saved so much battery power from it, but I doubt you'll know until Jan 30th when they reveal everything
    12-09-12 01:49 PM
    I do not have cellular service where I live, so UMA has been my main motivation when purchasing a phone. I really hope they do put it in. I have not tried the wi-fi calling...is it as bad as you describe? I just figured it was the same thing.
    Wifi calling is useable, but the main drawback for me is that it does not do handoffs. If you leave the wifi range, the call drops. UMA will hand the call over to your carrier signal seamlessly.

There's probably more functional differences, but that's the one that always bites me.

I seriously hope UMA comes back with BB10.
    12-11-12 12:59 PM
    Agree. However, though my wife has UMA on her BB (which is the best), I have the Kineto version and though it does not allow hand-off it works great otherwise (Moto Defy). The latest IMS version has had some teething problems, but from what I'm reading on forums at T-Mo, seems to be working "better" now. So, even if BB10 has the IMS version I'll be very happy.
    12-17-12 10:20 AM
    At a minimum I hope that the BB will support WiFi calling, ideally UMA hardware implementation would be best. I need it because where I live, I cannot get a strong cellular connection!
    01-03-13 03:52 PM
    so anyone hear anything? I do not see UMA anywhere in the specs so I'm assume the worst.
    01-30-13 07:10 PM
    so anyone hear anything? I do not see UMA anywhere in the specs so I'm assume the worst.
    unfortunately, I think u should assume the worst
    01-30-13 08:23 PM
    Someone using a Z10 on a carrier that supports UMA would have to test for sure.
    I don't see any options for WiFi Calling anywhere. I am not on T-Mobile.
    01-30-13 08:25 PM
    I had UMA on my 9900 and moved to the Z10 on ROGERS... so far i see no UMA or WIFI Calling on the Z10.
    02-08-13 09:58 AM
    I'm with ee in the UK and they supported wifi calling and I have now a z10 and it's the worst.....no wifi calling. other than BBM calling.
    Paul.
    02-08-13 10:29 AM
    I realize this an old discussion...found it searching for answers about UMA and/or WIFI calling for BB10 on T-Mobile USA. I was told by tmo that it is not available here for Z10 and won't be for Q10 either. Like one of the comments, we have bad cell service at home and actually pay for tmo@home service just so we can use our phones inside our home. If this doesn't change, it will be a deal-breaker for me... but, there may be some good news: I started a discussion about it on Linkedin and one comment said they complained to tmo about it and they activated it on their devices. I am going to give that a try here and see if they can do it.
    05-26-13 11:34 AM
    Doesn't HD voice render UMA obsolete in my understanding it's they basically produce the same result but one is based on hardware as the OP said, the other is my assumption that it is software based technology, so blackberry is probably going for what is cost effective

- THE ZEDTROSPEKTIV
    05-26-13 11:43 AM
    I thought tmo has said uma will be available when they release the 10.1 update. It is software based, not hardware.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 05:50 PM
    UMA is coming to T-Mobile and most likely with 10.1

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 05:58 PM
    Wow, I gate this old thread resurrection thing. So confusing reading all this old speculation that has no relevance now. This clearly demonstrates the need for multiple threads on aligned subjects over time.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 06:49 PM
    Supposedly wife calling is coming to the z10 eventually for T-Mobile. That is from T-Mobile themselves via a T-Mobile support update site or something. There is no stated time frame though rumors say when the 10.1 update comes from them it'll be there.

Let's not confuse wife calling with uma. Uma is hardware based calling/receiving over wife with the ability to switch over from wifi to cell service while on a call

Wifi calling is software based calling/recieving over wifi with no switching to cell service. If you're on a call on wifi calling and wifi drops or you loose wifi signal you lose the call.

As far as anyone knows the z10 and q10 do NOT have the hardware built in for uma. But wifi calling is always a possibility for the phones as they are software based

Posted via CB10
    ZEDTROSPEKTIV likes this.
    05-26-13 07:33 PM
    Supposedly wife calling is coming to the z10 eventually for T-Mobile. That is from T-Mobile themselves via a T-Mobile support update site or something. There is no stated time frame though rumors say when the 10.1 update comes from them it'll be there.

Let's not confuse wife calling with uma. Uma is hardware based calling/receiving over wife with the ability to switch over from wifi to cell service while on a call

Wifi calling is software based calling/recieving over wifi with no switching to cell service. If you're on a call on wifi calling and wifi drops or you loose wifi signal you lose the call.

As far as anyone knows the z10 and q10 do NOT have the hardware built in for uma. But wifi calling is always a possibility for the phones as they are software based

Posted via CB10
    Cheers for the elaboration mate

- @ZEDTROSPEKTIV
    05-26-13 10:58 PM