Hey everyone!

I know there are a lot of threads out there that are asking for feature requests, but this one is a bit different. I also know that we all love our Z10s, but is there anything we could request that could potentially clean up the aesthetics a bit or, perhaps, just make the OS look nicer. For me, there's a couple of things:

1. App icons on the bottom of the Active Frame: This was actually something that BlackBerry put in a lot of their pre-release photos (and even Dev builds of the OS) of BB10 and I'm actually a bit confused as to why these didn't make it into the release version of the OS. Here's what I'm talking about:
    Release Version:
    UI Aesthetic Changes/Requests?-9a9b0_bb10-active-framessansicons.jpg

Pre-Release Version:
    UI Aesthetic Changes/Requests?-bb10-homescreen-560-100icons.jpg
    I think they add a nice touch to the Active Frame and would like to see them on my own Z10.

2. Lock Screen Pattern: This was a change that I actually just noticed today.
    Release Version:
    UI Aesthetic Changes/Requests?-bb_z10_interface_1lockscreen.jpg

Pre-Release Lock Screen:
    UI Aesthetic Changes/Requests?-bblondon-300x300lockscreen.jpg

Pre-Release Concept:
    UI Aesthetic Changes/Requests?-bb10-lockscreen-notification.jpg
    While I love just playing around with the lock screen on my Z10, I liked the fading white bar on the Dev build OS lock screen. It gave the screen a bit more personality. I also liked the pre-release concept with the notifications being a bit higher (and the date not being abbreviated). I think the icons were moved to the left to correspond to the Peek gestures (and the movement of the Hub from the right to the left of the app grid). Still, it's just a preference thing.

3. Darker Borders and Frames: This one is up in the air. What do you think about this?

Final Release Version:
    UI Aesthetic Changes/Requests?-blackberry-10-active-frames-1-540x334.jpg

Pre-Release Photos/Concepts:
    UI Aesthetic Changes/Requests?-blackberry_10_active_frames-e1348651685539.jpg
    UI Aesthetic Changes/Requests?-blackberry-10-os-1.jpg
    Do you see in the pre-release photos how the borders under the Active Frames and the soft Phone, Search, and Camera apps buttons bar at the bottom are all a solid color (whether it be black or white) as opposed to the almost transparency they have the final OS release? I really liked that and I just think that it fits in with rest of the OS UI better than what we eventually got.

I really do love my Z10 and I just meant this to be a thread about different ideas about the UI and things BlackBerry could do to make it more attractive or complete.

What do you guys think about these?

Leave suggestions of your own!
    MoeR15 and anon5814103 like this.
    04-10-13 08:02 PM
    Great post, really enjoyed it. Thanks.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    04-10-13 08:23 PM
    I actually prefer the final version of every photo you posted.

- An icon on each active frame just wouldn't look clean... the UI is cluttered enough as it is.
    - I prefer the transparency over a solid black or white border/bars; It just makes the screen real estate appear larger.
    - The lockscreen in the pre-release concept looks pretty much the same with just the clock and notification icons placed differently.

I don't like every UI decision they've made the but the early concepts look really bad IMO.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    04-10-13 08:29 PM
    Good post and solid evidence to back up your wants. I would like to be able to customize things like that within the OS, that way everyone can be happy.
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    04-10-13 08:35 PM
    I actually prefer the final version of every photo you posted.

- An icon on each active frame just wouldn't look clean... the UI is cluttered enough as it is.
    - I prefer the transparency over a solid black or white border/bars; It just makes the screen real estate appear larger.
    - The lockscreen in the pre-release concept looks pretty much the same with just the clock and notification icons placed differently.

I don't like every UI decision they've made the but the early concepts look really bad IMO.
    Good points! I guess the UI team at BlackBerry had much of the same concerns that you raised here. I'm sure the changes were made for the best.
    04-10-13 10:03 PM