Not sure if this has already been discussed here, but checking out this video it's interesting to see how this new OS is getting good reviews even if it's not even ready or out. It does however have cool features such as toast like notifications and you can reply from right there, but many other features seem to have been borrowed from BB10 like gestures (no physical buttons)... what do you guys think? Do these guys seriously have a better chance than BB10 to succeed?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 02:56 PM
    Interesting concept, but, not likely to succeed without support from the hardware makers and I'm not seeing it...

Visit my BBM Channel at C00121065 for photography of the Great Pacific Northwest!
    09-07-13 03:13 PM
    If BlackBerry can't succeed on their own, there's no way in hell these guys can.

Now if they got a partner like, let's say Samsung, then that would be a different story. They would get the push that BB10 never had.
    09-07-13 03:13 PM
    Ubuntu? That's for people that are too stupid to understand Debian!

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 03:54 PM
    Interesting concept, but, not likely to succeed without support from the hardware makers and I'm not seeing it...

Visit my BBM Channel at C00121065 for photography of the Great Pacific Northwest!
    If they can develop hardware drivers like they do with regular computers they will be able to accommodate most hardware out of the box with a standard installation process.
    09-07-13 04:53 PM
    Hate to break it to you guys but I think BlackBerry borrowed from these guys. They had gestures way before even the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 05:08 PM
    Ubuntu? That's for people that are too stupid to understand Debian!

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what makes them stupid just because they chose to use a different os.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    09-07-13 05:17 PM
    I think they are going in the right direction with this. The Ubuntu community is very big so they will get a lot of quality apps with regular updates.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a genuine linux phone already. In very simple terms all was needed was a new window manager and a stripped out OS.

From my Q5
    09-08-13 02:51 AM
    Ubuntu is looking good, so is sailfish. The big two should be nervous as it looks like every Tom, **** and Harry is going to release their own OS.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 Uk
    09-08-13 04:04 AM
    Really? You starred a guys name?

len pothier likes this.
    09-08-13 04:04 AM
    Really? You starred a guys name?

Hhaha I think the forum has a setting to censor some words automatically. You can spell it "D!ck" or "D1ck" though.

Posted via CB10
    guygardner73 likes this.
    09-08-13 04:06 AM
    Hhaha I think the forum has a setting to censor some words automatically. You can spell it "D!ck" or "D1ck" though.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I guessed as much. Maybe I'll get another warning lol

09-08-13 04:22 AM
    Not sure what makes them stupid just because they chose to use a different os.
    Ubuntu is Debian for noobs, everyone knows that

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 04:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    And which is currently being developed for mobile phones and the general public?
    09-08-13 07:30 AM
    If they can develop hardware drivers like they do with regular computers they will be able to accommodate most hardware out of the box with a standard installation process.
    What I'm really trying to say is that I have yet to see anybody like Samsung or LG announce that they are building a Ubuntu phone. There will be some who will load the os on a phone they own, but, most want full support from the carrier and the manufacturer which won't happen if you load up your own os...

09-08-13 07:50 AM
    I consider myself a huge fan and enthusiast of Linux and maybe even a sometimes evangelist, but this does not look ready to compete. And I'm not talking about the lag due to no performance management.

Swipe from right to cycle through apps. That's so cumbersome!

Swipe left then tap a specific button to invoke home? Invoking hone should be the easiest thing in the os.

Swiping down from the top for a tray that slides left and right for various notifications seems like too much data in one place.

The colors loon drab and boring. The screen real estate is poorly managed. The way you answer the phone seems so out of date.

It did seem like the screen was waking based on movement. Is there motion detecting to wake the screen? That's actually a neat feature.

Overall though I can see what this is. A very faithful rendition of the Ubuntu approach to Linux delivered in the mobile format. It has a a lot of similarities including the toast notification, the friends app looks like gwibber. The app launcher on the left.

But this is not something that I would trade my z10 for, I wouldn't swap an iPhone for it. Maybe if I already had a nexus device I would install it for fun, but that's about it.

And I love Ubuntu. Think about the people who've never heard of it.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 07:59 AM

Rather than complain about you channel spamming, since I think we are going to have to deal with that for a while around here, I am going to say that BBM channels ids are cumbersome. I never liked the idea of having to tell someone a weird 8 digit combo for my BBM pin, and qr codes didn't fix that. I cannot remember c00121065 very easily. Maybe cb should start auto linking them to make it click able.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 08:02 AM
    Posted via CB10
    But because those people think different and use what fits their needs doesn't mean they are stupid. Don't you agree?
    Great to have a choice.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-08-13 05:39 PM
    This is the first of many shots across the bows of Android, iOS (yes iOS it's not indispensable) and Windows (Continuum looks pretty good btw), BlackBerry OS 10 is also great, but Ubuntu OS as something i don't believe BB does quite have now, please correct me if i'm wrong: They have an excited community who creating apps and scopes. Someone's is being cleaned for the writing to be put up. It's early days yet. Cheers !
    08-13-15 09:37 PM