Hey guys,
    As a Q10 user with charging bundle my Q10 rarely sees a charger, I just swap the battery once a day, charge the empty one somewhere and keep going (blabla lasting a day blabla, I prefer having my phone wireless even when I'm sleeping).

What I wonder, does any of you know if it's worth turning off the phone instead of just pulling the battery out? So far I only did the pull twice and didn't notice any issues. I'm just curious if I might run into longer bootup time or even some Hub issues (because I receive a message shortly before or something like that) or any other problems.

Any experience or opinions on this?

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 06:07 PM
    Never ever just pull the battery out. It can damage the OS. Shut the phone off and replace the battery.
    06-03-14 06:52 PM
    Treat a modern smartphone as you would a laptop. Run it through the proper process before removing the battery, like you would if you were shutting down a Windows Laptop for instance. Just pulling the battery or incorrectly shutting down can lead to OS corruption and more problems than it's worth.
    Though sometimes this is unavoidable as you might get a complete freeze but that would be an exceptional circumstance and the OS will most likely already be in a loop so a battery pull or aggressive power down is required.

In your case, power down properly first
    06-03-14 07:03 PM
    It only takes an extra 30 seconds to do a proper shutdown. Why tempt fate?
    06-03-14 08:38 PM
    If your switching your battery put airplane mode on then power down and then take the battery out.

Z30 best ever
    06-03-14 08:58 PM
    I was told pulling it out is like putting someone to sleep by hitting them in the head with a bat. Sure, they may wake up just fine...eventually but at what cost? Do it more than one time and your just asking for even more trouble.
    06-03-14 09:06 PM
    The only difference I noticed is initialization of the OS when not shut down properly takes slightly longer and it is getting hotter during the process.....

I mean until Everything (hub, android and so on) are responsive as usual....

However: All that can happen from my experience is losing unsaved data.... I have never worried about it on my Laptop/ PC and never saw the purported catastrophic failure....

Your milage may vary since I have yet to be struck by lighting around 100 times before I win the lottery.

(sorry.... currently doing statistics @ University)

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 09:09 PM
    Haha ok the opinions seem to be pretty consistent (except the statistics guy, but I don't want to be hit by 100 lightnings before winning the lottery).

I know it's only an extra 30 seconds, and if the 30 seconds would be after inserting the new one I would be fine with it.
    The problem (or disadvantage) right now is if I'm at the car/my desk/wherever I can't just pop in the new battery, I have to stand and wait there for the phone to power off before I can put the new one in, the old in the charger and move on. Pulling the battery, putting it in the charger and moving on would take 10-15 seconds and therefor would be more convenient.

But I will just live with the power down (is there a faster way than holding the button?), don't want to corrupt anything.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 01:38 AM
    There is nothing from BlackBerry to warn agains pulling a battery out, if fact it always has been recommended as a fix for OS problems.

Please let this myth die. If it was a problem BlackBerry themselves would advice against it.

Don't compare this to a laptop, most laptops have HDD drives that can get damaged, your phone doesn't have one of those.
    jpvj and Warlack like this.
    06-04-14 02:50 AM
    Belfastdispatcher, I like you! The minimal

Posted via CB10
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    06-04-14 04:22 AM
    Battery pull and switch are the same.
    The only way you could brick your phone is when loading a major kind of backup or an os and you pull out the plug/cord/cable in the middle of the progress.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-14 04:37 AM
    Because of the recently added comments (and the "BlackBerry tells you to do it" argument seems good for me) I will offer myself for a test. I will stop turning it off, in case it bricks or shows some problems I will note them here
    #I'mAGangsterIPullMyPhonesBatteryWithoutShuttingIt Down

Posted via CB10
    Warlack likes this.
    06-04-14 02:52 PM