So I see from the press release they are saying trend Micro scans the apps before being aloud in BlackBerry World. I'm just wondering is this an exclusive agreement. Do apple and Android do this too?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 05:12 PM
    I am unable to tell you whether it is an exclusive agreement but it's worth noting that most problems with security on devices lies with the user vulnerability to phishing attacks or giving away their personal data when installing apps (with excess permissions granted to devs).

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 06:01 PM
    I am also unable to comment on Apple or Android stores. But it is more than just a scan before being allowed in, applications are looked at very closely with an eye to protecting user data. Here is a BlackBerry knowledge base article that details the evolution of one such incident. In this particular instance the data transfer was deemed to be a problem not because it occurred, but because it was not fully disclosed in the privacy statement.
    02-21-14 08:46 AM
    So apart from the viruses etc they make sure that the apps aren't abusing our privacy etc when we download and give permissions to these apps or are they just looking at if it is written into the privacy policy properly and then we still have to read each one?

Also, I never understood, why do we not get a choice with any android apps what we can allow and deny. Isn't that a privacy concern on its own that just to play angry birds I have to give them access to my texts and pictures too (just an example, don't recall what permissions angry birds asks for)

Posted via CB10
    02-21-14 08:46 PM
    It is a privacy concern having to allow everything on Android apps, hopefully this is something BlackBerry can work on in the future.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 03:42 AM
    Im switching from norton to trend micro anti virus.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    03-02-14 01:09 AM
    So apart from the viruses etc they make sure that the apps aren't abusing our privacy etc when we download and give permissions to these apps or are they just looking at if it is written into the privacy policy properly and then we still have to read each one?

Also, I never understood, why do we not get a choice with any android apps what we can allow and deny. Isn't that a privacy concern on its own that just to play angry birds I have to give them access to my texts and pictures too (just an example, don't recall what permissions angry birds asks for)

Posted via CB10
    Because you can't choose permission on an android phone right? Permissions are introduced by BlackBerry 10, no?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 01:16 AM
    Im switching from norton to trend micro anti virus.

And suddenly your computer runs twice as fast. Wouldn't be the first time.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    03-02-14 04:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    If an application, say a chat app, offers to find out who on your contact list is also a user of the app by uploading phone numbers from your contacts list that would be a reasonable action, if you wanted that. An application that uploads phone numbers, but no reason is ever given nor the user given a choice would be unreasonable. So there is some onus on the user of the phone to be familiar with what the application is going to do. But if the application acts behind the users back Trend Micro (for Android) and BlackBerry Guardian (for native) should detect it.
    03-02-14 10:05 AM
    And suddenly your computer runs twice as fast. Wouldn't be the first time.

Interesting statement. Ive read the reviews online and the two are closely matched. Ive always used norton but if BlackBerry believes trend micro knows their stuff so do i!

03-02-14 02:01 PM
    Interesting statement. Ive read the reviews online and the two are closely matched. Ive always used norton but if BlackBerry believes trend micro knows their stuff so do i!

Hi there, Q10Nutter and fellow Q10 user!

Reviews are a good thing, but those rather synthetic tests will no way reflect the app's /program's real world or everyday performance.

I have removed Norton from quite a few computers, and put Trend Micro on. Suddenly, the computer was usable again or ran considerably faster.

Why do you think Norton manages and regularly runs the Windows Defragmenter in the background? That's a band-aid solution to mask their programs performance issues, I believe.

(not my intention to badmouth a program, just passing on my observations)

03-02-14 03:45 PM
    Hi there, Q10Nutter and fellow Q10 user!

Reviews are a good thing, but those rather synthetic tests will no way reflect the app's /program's real world or everyday performance.

I have removed Norton from quite a few computers, and put Trend Micro on. Suddenly, the computer was usable again or ran considerably faster.

Why do you think Norton manages and regularly runs the Windows Defragmenter in the background? That's a band-aid solution to mask their programs performance issues, I believe.

(not my intention to badmouth a program, just passing on my observations)

Thanks for that will definitely give it a shot.

03-02-14 04:43 PM