Ok coded a little framework to capture incoming messages. I dont like the default notification boxes (I'm just using it now as a sample), but I'm going to keep working on it and see if I can actually make it work like a real toast. But it's looking more promising....

01-31-13 07:15 PM
    Ok coded a little framework to capture incoming messages. I dont like the default notification boxes (I'm just using it now as a sample), but I'm going to keep working on it and see if I can actually make it work like a real toast. But it's looking more promising....

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps5f805f0f.png
    Which APIs are you using to draw popups over the home screen?
    01-31-13 07:19 PM
    Which APIs are you using to draw popups over the home screen?
    NotificationDialog
    01-31-13 07:24 PM
    NotificationDialog
    Weird, I couldn't replicate that on the simulator. What sort of properties are you setting for it?
    01-31-13 07:29 PM
    Shao that's FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! You totally made my day!!! And thank again awesome job on sticking with it!!!
    01-31-13 07:29 PM
    It's great to see that it's possible for those who want it, especially since there are quite a few of you. But if they add it as a native feature, I hope they allow users to disable it. Personally, I prefer to just have my LED go off and check the message myself once I'm done with whatever I'm doing.
    01-31-13 07:38 PM
    Awesome work, Shao!

It's great to see that it's possible for those who want it, especially since there are quite a few of you. But if they add it as a native feature, I hope they allow users to disable it. Personally, I prefer to just have my LED go off and check the message myself once I'm done with whatever I'm doing.
    My sentiments exactly.
    01-31-13 07:47 PM
    Weird, I couldn't replicate that on the simulator. What sort of properties are you setting for it?
    Make sure you set this in your bar descriptor: <permission>post_notification</permission>
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-31-13 07:49 PM
    haha looks like they will add it to 10.1 update they are still working on.Really takes work to make an OS.I guess you want good product got to wait.
    01-31-13 08:06 PM
    Shao, maybe you and mike007 can coloborate and and come up with an amazing app =)
    01-31-13 08:16 PM
    Shao, maybe you and mike007 can coloborate and and come up with an amazing app =)
    I'll let Shao tackle this one, I'm taking a second look at the LED APIs...
    LazyEvul, Korepab and jakie55 like this.
    01-31-13 08:23 PM
    Thanks Mike007,,,you and Shao128 are AWESOME!!! Its interactions like this between people like yourselves and a person like myself that doesn't know the 1st thing about API's or developing an that will help BB10 succeed,,,,knowing there's people willing help is AWESOME!!!!
    npisano likes this.
    01-31-13 09:15 PM
    The absence of any type of toast notification is almost a deal breaker for me. When I get an text on my android phone and get the pop up I can choose to tap it to get rid of it or slide down "not all the way just enough to enter a reply" with out ever leaving the app I'm in. With"Peak and flow" I would actually have to "leave" the app I'm in reply to the text and then return. Which is the exact oppisite of the "in and out" paradigm BB is trying to achieve.
    Totally agree with you, this whole peek thing is pretty weird and not sure why all of Blackberry is so hung go about it. I would much rather have a way to quickly respond on the screen with some sort of a discrete control.
    01-31-13 10:28 PM
    Don't get me wrong I think the peek and flow gestures are GREAT if you want to reply to an older text or email with out leaving an app,,,,but having a way to reply to text instantly with out having to peak and flow would be really helpful.
    01-31-13 10:33 PM
    Somewhat sarcastic, but how long did it take Shao to do this and how long has BlackBerry been working on BB10? Oh but something like this might be coming soon in OS 10.1 you say. Is that after 60 days or 120 days? End sarcasm.

But seriously, great work Shao. BlackBerry should hire you.
    01-31-13 11:00 PM
    If you are having multiple conversations on BBM and you don't want to switch back and forth within BBM, try chatting with one person through BBM in the hub and also open up the BBM app. That allows you to have two BBM chats going on concurrently. If you want a third chat open, open up an app that has sharing. Try sharing something through the share framework, and you will have a third instance of BBM. Power of BB10!
    01-31-13 11:50 PM
    That sounds great,,,the only problem is this will be my 1st BB and none of my friends have them,,,,so until I can convert some of them over to BB BBM is pretty useless to me at the moment,,,,but I might be picking up my Girlfriend and myself up a pair of white Z10's =)
    02-01-13 12:10 AM
    I'd rather have a choice between toasts or not.

IMO it comes back to the target market that BlackBerry has chosen: heavy messagers. If heavy messagers were to have these toasts (excluding the phone being on standby) while using YouTube or messaging or the browser or whatever, I think the frequent toasts would be pretty annoying. Personally, I'm only a student and I actively use 5 email accounts, text messages, BBM + Group, Whatsapp + Groups, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn. So I definitely wouldn't want toasts like iOS and certain Androids do, I'd prefer the LED blinking all the colours for specific types of messages.

*EDIT: I DO think the toasts where you tilt the phone to see more of the message is awesome.
    02-01-13 12:12 AM
    I don't email a lot,,,mostly just texting. But on my phone I don't drag the pop screen ALL the way down,,,it only takes up the top � of the screen,,,maybe less. Its very non intrusive and very easy to have multiple conversation at once.
    02-01-13 01:05 AM
    I'll let Shao tackle this one, I'm taking a second look at the LED APIs...
    Ha, I'm doing that at the same time Same code base really...There's a couple hurdles to overcome which were quite confusing at first...Then I sorta got it working but there's one big issue with it, theres no way to stop it. You can set the amount of flashes, but thats kinda hacky, I haven't found a way to stop it once the user touches the device (which is what you'd want). I have some ideas, have to test them still however.
    Last edited by Shao128; 02-01-13 at 08:08 AM.
    turtle_z10 likes this.
    02-01-13 07:28 AM
    Ha, I'm doing that at the same time Same code base really...There's a couple hurdles to overcome which were quite confusing at first...Then I sorta got it working but there's one big issue with it, theres no way to stop it. You can set the amount of flashes, but thats kinda hacky, I haven't found a way to stop it once the user touches the device (which is what you'd want). I have some ideas, have to test them still however.
    Keep up the work brother.Let us know what you work out.
    turtle_z10 likes this.
    02-01-13 08:23 AM
    Love the idea of having a choice between Toast and just basic LED notifications. That stuff is part of the reason I use AosLED....however, eventually I had to turn the pop ups off. The major problem was...well imagine this...I get a BBM from Bob while surfing the web, i click to go straight to BBM and reply to Bob, and I start flying across the keyboard. However Since bob isn't one to complete a whole thought before hitting send, while I'm typing I get a new pop up....ie Bob says..."Hey Buddy", "What time will you be over tonight?", "I'll get the beer." In AosLED I get 3 pop ups... even while I'm IN THE APP. Now, because of short cut keys, instead of typing my msg, I've actually opened the Toast app "H"elp file and have searched for "ere around 5:30," since the H in "Be tHere around 5:30" actually opened Help in the first place....

Sorry, I don't mean to run on, and I have brought this up to AosLED, but nothing has been done about it.

What I'm getting at is people will or won't like toast notifications, and if you don't...we don't care all that much. Constructive criticism People!!! I'm sure Shao doesn't care to much if you don't use his app ideas...however I'm sure he wants to know what WOULD make you use/buy his stuff. I'm totally up for an App like this as long as it is executed properly.

So Shao...
    1) I would love it if your pop ups weren't redundant. ie No pop up for an app I'm already in, especially for a conversation I'm already having.
    2) Your quick demo screen shot was amazing, but if I could change it one bit, I would love 4 buttons, especially for email...Read/Reply...Ignore as "read"...Ignore as "Unread" and Delete. I'm sure everyone can see the uses for those 4 buttons to deal with unwanted msgs quickly.

Sorry for rambling...Keep up the Good work!!!
    02-01-13 08:58 AM
    Thanks for all the replies and answeres,,,I'm really looking forward to see what shao comes up with,,and to mike007's work on the LED
    02-02-13 02:39 AM
    I for one hate any kind of popup, peek is the perfect middle ground between classic bb blinking light and toast on android imo
    me too, isn't that what we love about blackberry? the light is there, it's either beeped or vibrated - i know it's there and i'll check it if i want to. now that there is the peek feature i think it's PERFECT for this whole idea, now we can take a little look and see if it's worth replying to. perfect.
    02-02-13 07:23 AM
    I posted this same question a week or two back, and someone who commented on it helped me realize that such toasts are almost a non-issue because of the peek gesture (I think someone else mentioned this here too). You can easily see a new message because of the LED and then peek quickly to see who it is and the beginning of it in the HUB.
    02-02-13 08:29 AM
52 123