Will BB10 and the Z10 have any type of toast notifications? That's really the only thing I like about my current android phone,,,I like the fact that when I get a text message I get a pop up and can tap on it to instantly reply to that message and if I happen to be watching a video on youtube the video doesn't even pause,,,it keeps playing in the background.
    01-31-13 03:15 AM
    As it stands currently no. As a user I would love this too. As a developer Ive developed a few "toast" type apps for BBOS and wanted to do them for BB10 but due to system limitations I can't do them yet.
    01-31-13 07:48 AM
    The hub doesn't stop videos or anything in the background either they keep playing as you read or reply to text
    01-31-13 07:54 AM
    There was a patent for Cinnamon Toasts....what happened to that???
    01-31-13 12:19 PM
    The absence of any type of toast notification is almost a deal breaker for me. When I get an text on my android phone and get the pop up I can choose to tap it to get rid of it or slide down "not all the way just enough to enter a reply" with out ever leaving the app I'm in. With"Peak and flow" I would actually have to "leave" the app I'm in reply to the text and then return. Which is the exact oppisite of the "in and out" paradigm BB is trying to achieve.
    01-31-13 02:23 PM
    Which Android device is this? My Nexus 4 doesn't continue playing in the background...
    01-31-13 02:40 PM
    I have a Sidekick 4g from T-Mobile. If I'm watching a video say on youtube and I get a text messag I get a pop up with a preview of the massage along with a picture and name of the person,,,all I do is pull down to to reply,,,it takes up less than a � of the screen and the video continues to play the whole time.
    01-31-13 02:52 PM
    If I'm have a conversation through text this is a lot more convient than having to peak and flow into the hub everytime to reply to a text message.
    01-31-13 02:54 PM
    Im going to take a look at some of the APIs again tonight, maybe there's something I can do about this...
    01-31-13 04:07 PM
    I for one hate any kind of popup, peek is the perfect middle ground between classic bb blinking light and toast on android imo
    madx80h, yasmar and robkd like this.
    01-31-13 04:14 PM
    That's an interesting implementation, but if you expect your next phone to have it, you will be very disappointed. iOS can't do that, WP8 can't do that, and most Android phones can't. My Nexus 4 can't do that at all either.
    01-31-13 04:14 PM
    Thank you!!! That would be AWESOME and much appreciated. That is the only thing that might keep me from getting a Z10 as I'm a big texter and have multiple conversations going on at once while also browsing the web or watching videos. Having to flow in to the to reply to multiple conversations seams like it would horrribly inconvient and time consuming not to mention cumbersome. Thanks again and hopefully you can figure something out.
    01-31-13 04:15 PM
    There was a patent for Cinnamon Toasts....what happened to that???
    I would also like to know what happened to Cinnamon Toasts. I thought it was going to be the way we interacted with notifications on the lock screen in BB10.

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-tasty-...innamon-toast/
    01-31-13 04:44 PM
    Im going to take a look at some of the APIs again tonight, maybe there's something I can do about this...
    I've gone through them all, don't waste your time. There's no way to interact with the screen at all once your app is minimized.
    01-31-13 04:56 PM
    I was really looking forward to the cinnamon toast notification feature we've seen. It would have been truly innovative and set the tone for a good demo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Mr_F likes this.
    01-31-13 05:11 PM
    Maybe this Shao person can spot something you missed
    01-31-13 05:16 PM
    I prefer the icon with a number next to it like on previous BlackBerry's instead of a toast notification - I like my lock screen as clean as possible. But it's possible BlackBerry can add that as option in future updates if enough users request it.

One thing I would've love to see the see is the "glowing LED" in the corner of the screen in lieu of the actual LED light, like the PlayBook OS.
    01-31-13 05:23 PM
    Shao is WRONG!!! So Wrong. WRong Wrong WRong. Shao was wrong.

BlackBerry 10 does have toast notifications. They're just not implemented everywhere yet.

Do this:

Go to BlackBerry Messenger and start a chat. Attach an image to the chat. Then, hit the X to delete the attachment. At that point you get a toast notification pop up, confirming you deleted the attachment and allowing you do undo it. That's toast.

In the future you'll see more toast in BB10. I think they'll bring it to the email app, so you can more easily just delete/archive messages and then undo them if you want. Vs. now where it's a delete plus hard confirmation (assuming you have delete confirmations turned on).

Shao was wrong.
    playbookster and nigoinsnow like this.
    01-31-13 05:50 PM
    Shao is WRONG!!! So Wrong. WRong Wrong WRong. Shao was wrong.

BlackBerry 10 does have toast notifications. They're just not implemented everywhere yet.

Do this:

Go to BlackBerry Messenger and start a chat. Attach an image to the chat. Then, hit the X to delete the attachment. At that point you get a toast notification pop up, confirming you deleted the attachment and allowing you do undo it. That's toast.

In the future you'll see more toast in BB10. I think they'll bring it to the email app, so you can more easily just delete/archive messages and then undo them if you want. Vs. now where it's a delete plus hard confirmation (assuming you have delete confirmations turned on).

Shao was wrong.
    Right, but aren't those just in-app popups? If I'm understanding the question correctly, the OP is asking about system wide toasts, ie a popup or banner when you get a SMS or BBM message.

In app popups are all over the place, I used them in some of my apps.
    01-31-13 06:00 PM
    Yes,,,that's exactly what I was talking a bout,getting a pop up when a text message is received and being able to reply directly from the pop up and not having to flow in to the hub.
    01-31-13 06:10 PM
    Looks to be in the works or at least they're thinking about it.

01-31-13 06:20 PM
    If they add this, it will be a great feature.
    01-31-13 06:32 PM
    Well you need to clarify your original post more... (which i admit i skimmed quick).

No, toast popups on notifications for communications are not there yet... as in inbound communications. But a toast notification framework for popup messages is there.

I think you'll see more of this get rolled out everywhere. It's elegant and works.... I' thinking maybe BlackBerry 10.1. Would be nice a update to unveil at BlackBerry Live in May.

Ok, so maybe Shao wasn't fulllly wrong.
    yasmar and LazyEvul like this.
    01-31-13 06:33 PM
    But is this something that is possible with BB10 like in the form of a 3rd party app? If so I'm willing to get a White Z10 and wait till this is implemented either through an official update or or app.
    01-31-13 07:02 PM
    But is this something that is possible with BB10 like in the form of a 3rd party app? If so I'm willing to get a White Z10 and wait till this is implemented either through an official update or or app.
    No, there are no APIs that 3rd party devs can use to do this right now. BlackBerry could add these APIs in the future or implement the popups themselves, but currently there is no way.
    Darlaten likes this.
    01-31-13 07:06 PM
52 123