View Poll Results: Google Play Services a deal breaker for you?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Google Play a Must thinking about moving to Android

7 7.87%
  • Google Play would be nice but not needed.

38 42.70%
  • Google Play not Needed Happy with BB offerings.

47 52.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    How do you get older versions of Android Apps? I also bought Files and folders still the ease of use still not as good experience as a official Google Core App of course. Believe me I love my BB and have tried lots of solutions. Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. I will research the older version issue. Thunderbuck is opening my Android virgin eyes I always assumed Android meant everything works - of course I took that pill once before with iOS.
    07-04-14 01:04 PM
    How do you get older versions of Android Apps? I also bought Files and folders still the ease of use still not as good experience as a official Google Core App of course. Believe me I love my BB and have tried lots of solutions. Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. I will research the older version issue. Thunderbuck is opening my Android virgin eyes I always assumed Android meant everything works - of course I took that pill once before with iOS.
    "Android" is open source, so in theory anyone can use it, but there are two caveats:

1) The very latest API level (KitKat at the moment) is not open. It's released (I believe) when an even newer one comes out. That being the case, the BB runtime will never be perfectly in line with the latest. That really isn't a big problem, since developers don't support the very latest exclusively anyway.

2) Google Play Services is a proprietary layer ON TOP of Android. Only phones that are part of the Open Handset Alliance are entitled to run it. This is the reason why we'll never see Snap in BlackBerry World, by the way. By definition it violates Google's Terms of Service.
    07-04-14 01:20 PM
    There is an app called MapMyRide - GPS Cycling Tracking in the Amazon app store. The icon is a white silhouette of a bicycle and a + on a red background. Not sure if that's the app you're referring to, but seeing as its in the Amazon store, its safe to say it doesn't need Google Play.

As for older versions of apps, the best thing to do is a search within CB and see if anyone has an older version listed, or has an older working version that they'd be willing to share.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-04-14 01:26 PM
    I used to use G and android, but too much spyware and ads there, even more and more now. I left G b/c it's doing EVIL. Now I'm happy with a Z30 + onedrive combo which works better than andoid + G. (definitely better OS and you don't get blocked when you travelling to some foreign countries)
    07-04-14 02:33 PM
    OP: have you considered using Zoho? They offer a full suite of services similar to Google and have a lot of free offerings. I use them a lot for my small business needs. Their android apps downloaded via Snap run perfectly well.

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    07-04-14 02:43 PM
    Sorry to say i need to move on from BB10. More and more of my business and personal applications I need won't run without Google Play.
    I love my Z30 but if I can't run my apps I need a Android. Not to heartbroken up though; look what's out there or coming down the pipe. The G3 , possible Nexus 6, New Samsung Note ect. Soon the HUB being the only thing I might miss will be found on the Android platform is some similar form and the new clean architecture in the next version of Android L is very appealing. I was a apple fan boy woke up and seem to keep being pushed to a more open and flexible platform. Who else is thinking about leaving BlackBerry because of this and do you think Google Play will never come to BB? I believe if BlackBerry is truly focusing on the corporate user and feel that they do not need Google Services to support that client they are limiting who will buy the current and future generation BlackBerry phones. I look at the next generation of non touch screen phones and it does not do anything for me I can't type on a non touch screen keypad! But the lack of working on my google docs, google g-spreadsheets is my breaking point cant wait any longer.
    Well, if it does not work for you, then move on. I am not sure what apps you need, but my Z30 offers everything I need for my business and personal needs. No complaints or missing anything here.
    moyah8 likes this.
    07-04-14 03:18 PM
    Admittedly, I'm not an app hound but there were a few that I really wanted. Once 10.2.1 came out, pretty much all the banking apps worked natively using Snap to download them. However, a couple still didn't work correctly. The one I wanted the most was Strava. I used the Gmaps Patcher (search for the main thread on this), and it now works perfectly. I'm guessing you could do the same thing with MapMyRide. Prior to patching Strava, I used Fitness Tracker (a native BB10 app). I still use Fitness Tracker to log the ride (and automatically upload it to Strava) as it's a lighter app and easier on the battery. But for looking at my results, nothing's better than Strava.

I think this third party solution is the best we're going to get right now and it make my Z10 perfectly usable. I have a ton of respect for BlackBerry and their security focus. That's why I'll continue to stick with them even if there are a couple of apps that don't work. With 10.2.1, Snap, and the Gmaps Patcher, there aren't many that don't work great.

As for finding older versions of Android apps, you can try the Good Reader site to see what they've got. For me, I keep all of the Android versions that I download from Snap. In fact, I have Snap download the app directly to a Dropbox folder so I always have the original versions available. This is helpful if I decide I want to downgrade and continue using the older version. I did this recently with Tinder because I can't stand the newer version.

But, if none of this works for you, it sounds like Android or iOS are the only options.

Good luck!
    sasky likes this.
    07-04-14 03:40 PM
    To be honest if any android device had a qwerty portrait slider I would be gone. But after typing on glass for a year and a half with the Z10 and Z30 I really hate it.

I wish we had google play and that android ran better. My future with BlackBerry is uncertain. I may just have a Classic and an android touch screen.

If I liked typing on glass I'd have left for android too. Good luck man. I understand what it's like to love BlackBerry but feel like you're being forced out. It sucks.

I won't say goodbye and let the door hit you on the way out because whether I like talking to a person has nothing to do with what phone they use. And you bring up legit points. I felt ya.

Z30 / STA100-5 / 10.2.1.3247 / T-Mobile USA
    07-04-14 03:50 PM
    Bye bye

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 04:32 PM
    Sorry to say i need to move on from BB10. More and more of my business and personal applications I need won't run without Google Play.
    I love my Z30 but if I can't run my apps I need a Android. Not to heartbroken up though; look what's out there or coming down the pipe. The G3 , possible Nexus 6, New Samsung Note ect. Soon the HUB being the only thing I might miss will be found on the Android platform is some similar form and the new clean architecture in the next version of Android L is very appealing. I was a apple fan boy woke up and seem to keep being pushed to a more open and flexible platform. Who else is thinking about leaving BlackBerry because of this and do you think Google Play will never come to BB? I believe if BlackBerry is truly focusing on the corporate user and feel that they do not need Google Services to support that client they are limiting who will buy the current and future generation BlackBerry phones. I look at the next generation of non touch screen phones and it does not do anything for me I can't type on a non touch screen keypad! But the lack of working on my google docs, google g-spreadsheets is my breaking point cant wait any longer.
    Trade ya either a nexus 5 or sg4 for your z30?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 05:09 PM
    Skype is android port, i use but it doesnt require google services. In fact now i have no android apps and my Q10 is performing better.
    Had a Z10, loved how i could use android apps but apparently once i had access to android apps, that i realised i dont need them. I had an android tab, but android apps to be honest dont appeal.
    I dont know about what other OS people do with so many apps, games etc. Put it for sake of putting and never use again??

No one can convince you to keep using bb. In fact i would rather recommend you do shift. In time you will realise you actually traded (not upgraded) for nothing new. Rather bb swipe gestures and keyboard has more appeal than that even ios cant have.

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 likes this.
    07-04-14 05:45 PM
    Why are people compelled to yell others thier leaving BlackBerry if to not only get attention from others who like/love the brand. If the phone doesn't do what you need/want it to do change phones and leave the forum. You won't be missed and we'll be happy to see you return if you ever do.

The use of forums I find is following the social media trend and moving away from bring helpful and skidding in to propagating negativity.

I honest get almost as much news from the legacy news group system and no where near the negativity and silly comments that gets our attention like, "I'm leaving this brand and wanted all who still use this brand to know about it".

Sorry for the rant, rough day I guess.

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    07-04-14 06:15 PM
    BYE BYE!!!!
    07-04-14 06:50 PM
    What are you doing here anyway????
    07-04-14 06:55 PM
    Why would all your devices have to be homogenous? My desktop is GNU/Linux. My laptop is a MacOS. My netbook is GNU/Linux with Windows 7 in a virtual machine. My tablets are webOS with Android and PlayBook OS. My phones are BlackBerry.

My cameras are Sony and Panasonic. Why should I be compelled to buy an Android Samsung camera if I decide to go Android with my phone?
    07-04-14 07:01 PM
    So this supposed business app you need which uses google play is google drive?

Like really?

Google drive is probably the most vulnerable cloud service there is. On top of that google is scanning every file you put in there, if I were a multi billion dollar company I wouldnt allow anyone to use google drive.

At least microsoft has finally caught on and increased security on their cloud.

Its box, mega or one drive all with 256-bit encryption everything else out there is a risk.

Dont believe me? Here: http://lifehacker.com/the-best-cloud...riva-729639300

Differentiate or Die
    PHughes and jojo beaconsfield like this.
    07-04-14 07:08 PM
    Why are people compelled to yell others thier leaving BlackBerry if to not only get attention from others who like/love the brand. If the phone doesn't do what you need/want it to do change phones and leave the forum. You won't be missed and we'll be happy to see you return if you ever do.

The use of forums I find is following the social media trend and moving away from bring helpful and skidding in to propagating negativity.

I honest get almost as much news from the legacy news group system and no where near the negativity and silly comments that gets our attention like, "I'm leaving this brand and wanted all who still use this brand to know about it".

Sorry for the rant, rough day I guess.

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    It's been that way forever here. Or the 4+ yrs I've been dropping in.
    I find it comes and goes. It's been relatively quiet these days regarding the "I'm leaving" threads.
    Just about time for them to start popping up again

Posted via CB10. Over my carrier's data connection due to "Limited WiFi"
    07-04-14 07:08 PM
    Could you name the applications you'd need to work without Google Play services?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 08:10 PM
    Before you buy your android, try this!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=917129

I've not tried it, but try to find the latest version, would have tried to find out for you, but gave up after the first few pages.

BB10 is a brilliant OS, we just need to get work this work-around for it, I'm going to decompile some of the APK's which are Google play service dependant, have a little look if it's possible to be changed (Tomorrow nights tasks).

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 08:18 PM
    I'd rather get rid of Google play from my work flow. I had enough of Google keeping tabs on what I do.
    Agreed.

And I want a Street (Speed) Triple.
    07-04-14 09:22 PM
    To be entirely honest if you think that BlackBerry has problems wait until you have to endure Android for a while. Email management is simply atrocious and not getting better. There isn't even a resemblance of any sort of unified inbox or communication view. Even the most rudimentary stuff isn't properly supported, like visual voicemail. Many apps crash at random times (anyone who says otherwise is a gigantic liar or barely uses their phone). The keyboard difference is astounding. The best that Android can offer for a keyboard is SwiftKey that, while good, does not come even close with how well the BlackBerry virtual keyboard is implemented. This is coming from a user who is typing this from one of the top of the line Android devices, the LG G2.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-05-14 12:22 AM
    LOL!
    Attached Thumbnails Time to move on unfortunately. No Google Play-not-shit.jpg  
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    07-05-14 12:22 AM
    Who else is thinking about leaving BlackBerry because of this and do you think Google Play will never come to BB?
    Quite the opposite as I may leave BlackBerry if Google hooks itself any further into BB10. You may not value your privacy, but many of us do. You are not the only one running a business here. And if you indeed are running a business, to say that your security needs are zero means that you are running a business that I certainly would not want to do business with.
    07-05-14 03:27 AM
    Was not my intention to focus my point about leaving, more of a question if anyone else feels they need Google Play services to make the BB10 a workable eco system to the average Joe.
    To answer your question, no, I do not think that the Google services are necessary for a workable eco system.

From my usage, the only Google service I use is for actual "Googling". Other than that, I was forced to create a Gmail account in order to use my Youtube account, but I never bothered to actually use the Gmail account as I found the interface too distracting compared to the Microsoft Outlook. The only Google account that I use is for Youtube and it works fine on bb10.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    07-05-14 03:56 AM
    No need to start a new thread to announce you're leaving. Post in here http://forums.crackberry.com/general...thread-260887/ and be done with it.

So long, farewell, au wiedersehen, goodbye
    Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
    Goodbye
    I think we will leave it at this thread. Thanks OP and good luck
    07-05-14 04:21 AM
50 12