I hope so ........no ........ I Believe
    01-15-13 03:33 PM
    Nice thought but not a chance in h e l l

Jobs was an innovator, a creator...Thorsten is a manager. Big difference.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-15-13 03:40 PM
    Yes Jobs was a visionary and an innovator and Heins is a manager. However, he can still be like Jobs was to Apple by making the right decisions and bringing in the right people.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    01-15-13 03:51 PM
    Do you mean that Thor will spend the next seven years at a company other than RIM? If I recall Jobs only returned to Apple around 1997.
    01-15-13 03:52 PM
    Apple is/was Apple. RIM is RIM. Different companies, different circumstances. Comparing RIM to Apple is about as valid as comparing it to Palm; I wish people would just quit.
    01-15-13 03:55 PM
    No, he has a valid point. It's all about presentation. Jobs had the charisma and was able to create the OMG moments. That's how apple made it big. Thorsten also has the charisma, and judging from his recent presentations, he will be able to create that OMG moment for RIM on January 30th. At this point, innovation is still there for RIM, but not so for Apple (RIP Jobs). RIM doesn't need Thorsten to be innovating, just to be there as the poster boy, the one people will listen to. If RIM plays their cards right and pulls through on their plans, Apple will be dominated by this company. Working as a group (RIM) will always dominate a single individual (Apple's Jobs).
    Now, people may say that I an just blinded by RIM. But hear me out. I own both an iPod and BB phones. I choose to use both companies for their forte's. I have used all the devices before and in all honesty, Apple has peaked. There has been no WOW factor after Jobs left, and the marketing is downright horrible (let's sell iPad 4 a 3 months after iPad 3. Nice way to **** off customers. Not to mention iPad Mini. Facepalm)
    So that's my take. Don't count RIM out yet. They have potential.
    astraith and Shadowyugi like this.
    01-15-13 04:08 PM
    I don't dispute that Heins is an excellent presenter.

I vividly remember seeing Heins in his first substantial appearance after becoming CEO, when he opened DevCon Europe back in February last year. I was very impressed; he made no effort to blindly ignore the troubles that RIM was facing as a company. At the same time he expressed a quiet but very distinct optimism that the company was on the right track. The overall impression was one of realism, optimism, and incredible competence.

This has been an excellent face to project through a challenging time. I'm not sure that Heins is the same kind of detail-oriented control freak that Jobs was, and I suspect he's a much nicer person to work for. Completely different style, but an excellent one to be guiding RIM through this difficult time.
    01-15-13 04:21 PM
    That's asking a lot of Thor that almost no one can live up to.

How about accepting Thor for being Thor? :-) He's already shown he's good at operations. now let's see if he's good at product launch execution!
    01-15-13 04:24 PM
    In my view, Thorsten Heins can (and will) do for RIM what Steve Jobs did to Apple. Jobs, though, was a technical genius, no matter how obsessive. There's no denying that he was brilliant in his approach to software and hardware design. His quest for perfection was what put Apple on top. Even though he may not have been the most pleasant to work for, he did what he needed to do for his company. Jobs also was the face of Apple and had a great stage presence. He knew how to present his products in such a way that made it feel as though it was the first time you'd ever witnessed that piece of tech. It's a way that makes Tim Cook seem awkward on stage trying to emulate Jobs.

Heins is different in that he takes a more disciplined, more simple view, I feel. While Jobs was almost obsessed with owning every market his company entered, Heins is more realistic in his views. Heins, though, was the kind of personality RIM needed to win back mindshare. Compare Steve Jobs to former co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie. While Jobs would appear on stage in a turtleneck, jeans, and sneakers, you'd always see Lazaridis and Balsillie in suits. Now, there's nothing wrong with always being formal, though Jobs personified Apple in a way the former CEOs of RIM couldn't do. In addition to that, they just seemed more distant, more "out of touch" with the consumers than Jobs and Apple. You don't get that feeling from Heins. He gave RIM a face people can relate to, and his personality isn't the strict corporate-type like the former CEOs. He and his team personified RIM and made the journalists and media and consumers care about those behind the devices.

So, yeah, Jobs and Heins are quite different in their approaches to their leadership roles. However, there is no "right way" to bring a company back. Jobs' method worked for Apple, and, from my view, Heins' approach is working for RIM. Perhaps one day, we will reflect not upon the next Steve Jobs, but on the next Thorsten Heins.
    01-15-13 04:40 PM
    I think that Thorsten will be highly credited for turning RIM around but there is no way that he can be directly compared to Steve Jobs. My opinoins of Apple have shifted over the past 2 years but there is still no doubt that they showed the ability to repackage existing technologies to turn the company around.
    01-15-13 04:43 PM
    Whilst Heins is indeed a manager, people forget that Jobs was obsessive (as flashflare was saying) and it was this management that led to the products being successful in his question for perfection. His charisma and stage presence also helped Apple's success. I'd put his inventive skills low down on the list of reasons he was top - he had a lot of very talented people helping to produce these products (Sir Jonny Ive being one of the most important), granted he picked them out and carefully managed and directed their work but still.
    01-15-13 05:07 PM
    Thorstem Heins is gonna be Thorsten Heins.Just like the top german cars he will be bring elegance and effeciency to RIM.
    01-15-13 05:07 PM
    Thorstem Heins is gonna be Thorsten Heins.Just like the top german cars he will be bring elegance and effeciency to RIM.
    As long as I am not replacing message notification LED's like I was replacing headlights and every other bulb there was that could and did possibly burn out repeatedly when I owned my Jetta I don't have a problem with that! lol
    01-15-13 06:16 PM
    Guys, Thor is used to turning companies around.
    He was a BIG part of turning around Siemens.
    He is experienced, and this (and many other factors) is most likely why he was chosen to become the CEO...
    01-15-13 07:01 PM
    No shots at Thorsten, but you can't name many CEO's that's in the same class as Steve Jobs. Love him or hate him his name and impact will be talked about for the next century. Steve is an Icon.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Admorris likes this.
    01-15-13 07:13 PM
    I personally feel Thor is better then Jobs. No disrespect to Job, He was good at what he did, but I saw him as a motivational speaker, people would believe every word he said. Thor on the other hand has been upfront, he he knows what RIMs problems were and are and is trying to fix them, also he believes in BB10. Thor does not seem to want to want a cult that just listens to the leader, and follow him around like lost puppies.
    Last edited by big bb; 01-17-13 at 08:04 AM.
    Sansu94 likes this.
    01-16-13 08:22 AM
    I think Thorsten is an innovator. I also think he has a spark like Jobs did. Watching him talk about BB10 was inspiring. Reminded me watching the first iPhone keynotes Jobs did.
    01-16-13 09:14 AM
    That's asking a lot of Thor that almost no one can live up to.

How about accepting Thor for being Thor? :-) He's already shown he's good at operations. now let's see if he's good at product launch execution!
    I just have to say ... If we call him Thor, then he has to live up to being a god ... Lol jk
    Shadowyugi, z1nsane and Sansu94 like this.
    01-16-13 09:17 AM
    thanks guys for all replies for my post, the time will show all.
    02-03-13 04:17 PM
    Thorstein is doing a far better job, then the relatively new CEO at the other fruit company.
    02-03-13 04:20 PM
    Thorstein is doing a far better job, then the relatively new CEO at the other fruit company.
    Did you miss Apple's earnings report?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-03-13 04:33 PM
    Did you miss Apple's earnings report?
    You have a good point, but imo Apple is nothing without Jobs.
    Cook is mooching off of Apple's prior releases, and not releasing anything that is major.
    They are playing it safe, and not overhauling iOS, which is what BlackBerry did with BBOS.
    Hopefully, iOS 7 brings some changes but I'm not expecting anything new.
    02-03-13 05:50 PM
    NO Thor's gonna be who he is Thornstein heins.
    02-03-13 06:02 PM