This thread is a spin-off from my other thread regarding OS10.3

So far I'm leaning towards the LG Nexus 5 (Nexus 6 is outrageously too big)
    Does anyone have any input or experience with the device?

What are some of the Pros / Cons
    04-23-15 03:28 PM
    The device is great. Very popular. A lot of people have it.

I like Android just fine, they focus on visuals and stuff, which is nice.

My issues tend to be everything running in the background with no permissions, and Google taking all your data.

However, as a consumer facing OS, it does the job fine, and the Nexus5 is a great device.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 03:39 PM
    Where are you getting the Nex5. They aren't being produced any more which is why even used ones on Swappa/Ebay fetch relatively high prices. Battery life is just okay although you get Google Android without any skins and you get updates from Google instead of waiting months for carriers. 5.1 with apps updated with Material Design are really nice looking, but YMMV some think its too loud. If you are into customization being a Google device there are every kind of custom rom imaginable. You'll get the most out of the device if you are already tied into all the Google apps but thats the case for native apps on any platform.

You won't have the HUB which I think is the superior interface for dealing with alot of emails. BBM hardly anyone in the States uses it but if you do the Android version isn't that great but has come a long way from the abomination of its debut.

You may want to look that GSMArena battery test lists if battery life is important to you . I use a Z30 and an LG2 and they both have great battery life.
    04-23-15 03:59 PM
    Where are you getting the Nex5. They aren't being produced any more which is why even used ones on Swappa/Ebay fetch relatively high prices. Battery life is just okay although you get Google Android without any skins and you get updates from Google instead of waiting months for carriers. 5.1 with apps updated with Material Design are really nice looking, but YMMV some think its too loud. If you are into customization being a Google device there are every kind of custom rom imaginable. You'll get the most out of the device if you are already tied into all the Google apps but thats the case for native apps on any platform.

You won't have the HUB which I think is the superior interface for dealing with alot of emails. BBM hardly anyone in the States uses it but if you do the Android version isn't that great but has come a long way from the abomination of its debut.

You may want to look that GSMArena battery test lists if battery life is important to you . I use a Z30 and an LG2 and they both have great battery life.
    Interesting. I had never heard of the G2 before, after looking this one up I might go with this one.
    It has very good reviews
    04-23-15 04:14 PM
    You should probably check out android central. They would probably know better than a BlackBerry fan site

Posted via CB10
    nyfinch and Lawrie Sherratt like this.
    04-23-15 04:28 PM
    True, but I'm looking for the input of BB users (as that's all I've used for the last 12 years.)
    04-23-15 04:31 PM
    But most of us are biased :-) I say pick a passport lol

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 04:33 PM
    I use a OnePlus One as well as a Passport. The OPO runs CyanogenMod, a derivative of Android, but they also have a new OS available, called Oxygen, which is very close to stock Nexus-y Android. Switching back and forth between OPO and Passport gives me a good feel for the good and bad in both.

The main point I want to make is that it's possible to use Android without using Google everything, with a bit of thought. I use Outlook.com mail, calendar, and contacts and it all works. Google Now insists on using Google apps, but there are alternatives, such as Dragon Assistant.
    imirza likes this.
    04-23-15 04:48 PM
    My issues tend to be everything running in the background with no permissions, and Google taking all your data.
    What? You don't have much experience with Android, do you?
    04-23-15 05:56 PM
    I use a OnePlus One as well as a Passport. The OPO runs CyanogenMod, a derivative of Android, but they also have a new OS available, called Oxygen, which is very close to stock Nexus-y Android. Switching back and forth between OPO and Passport gives me a good feel for the good and bad in both.

The main point I want to make is that it's possible to use Android without using Google everything, with a bit of thought. I use Outlook.com mail, calendar, and contacts and it all works. Google Now insists on using Google apps, but there are alternatives, such as Dragon Assistant.
    I think you have changed my mind again. I checked out the OnePlus One, and that's a GREAT looking phone with GREAT reviews AND specs. How do you find the transition from BB to that device?
    04-23-15 07:26 PM
    What? You don't have much experience with Android, do you?
    Tell me how you can disable app permissions on 5.0 without a custom rom.

Also tell me how Google doesn't just gobble up all your data?

Posted via CB10
    raino, tmf06 and CerveloJohn like this.
    04-23-15 08:00 PM
    The one plus is also a good phone

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 08:02 PM
    No intention of leaving blackberry looking forward to the slider but I kinda like the specs on the s6
    04-23-15 08:08 PM
    I think you have changed my mind again. I checked out the OnePlus One, and that's a GREAT looking phone with GREAT reviews AND specs. How do you find the transition from BB to that device?
    It's not hard. I sometimes find myself double-tapping to wake the Passport, but no big deal. CM has three shortcut swipes from the bottom of the screen that you can customize. If you want an almost BB10 feel you can assign the Recent Apps to it, so you swipe up to switch between "active" apps.

It's not perfect but it's a lot of phone for the money. Passport has better speaker quality but the OPO might be a tad louder. The OPO camera app is poor but you can sideload the ColorOS one, which is pretty good. I use MailWise for a unified email experience but AquaMail is also good. And there are other options.
    04-23-15 08:24 PM
    I've had the Nexus 5 and now the Nexus 6 (I love the size). The only issue I had with the Nexus 5 was battery life. But it still beat my Z10. The Nexus 6 is awesome in my opinion.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-23-15 08:29 PM
    Google's data mining caused me to dump my Nexus Android device last year. I got a z10. I've been happy with it. I will never go back to a Google device .

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 08:36 PM
    Google's data mining caused me to dump my Nexus Android device last year. I got a z10. I've been happy with it. I will never go back to a Google device .

Posted via CB10
    I can respect that. The University I work at has adapted google apps as their standard. So I had to accept it. It doesn't bother me as much as it once did.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-23-15 08:47 PM
    Phones are tools, and BlackBerries love multiple mail accounts, and a workaholic style of life. If your needs change, your phone needs to change too.

I'd recommend you a Moto X instead, but Nexuses are great machines, all of them.
    04-23-15 08:52 PM
    Tell me how you can disable app permissions on 5.0 without a custom rom.

Also tell me how Google doesn't just gobble up all your data?
    If there is a will, there is a way. First, you accept the permissions when you install the app. Second, App Ops is already available for Lollipop (some versions require root). Third, flash a custom ROM, if you need individual permissions control badly. There are many options for popular Android devices.

If you have concerns about tracking and data collection, first disable all you can. If you still don't agree to Google's Privacy & Terms policy, just don't use their products. Simple. Better don't use any devices that send and receive data - phones, tablets, computers, credit cards, not even Bluetooth headphones. They are all very dangerous and can destroy your life in seconds. Don't use post services as well, ever. Post offices collect your address, credit card information, contact information and they know exactly where your package is going. Truly a nightmare. Better deliver whatever you have yourself, at night and with no headlights. Do you pay taxes? Don't! Revenue agencies know everything about you. Better move to the nearest mountain, dig a bunker and never go out. The world around is a dangerous place, very dangerous.
    04-23-15 09:26 PM
    I knew it would happen; a shill for Google found this thread.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 11:20 PM
    Mainly, mr. vbd, people who want some control over how much information is broadcast about themselves through their phone like that BlackBerry exists as a choice. Obviously there are BlackBerry users here who are not concerned about those points. You sound like you think only lunatics are concerned about their privacy at all.

Excessive data usage disappearing when i switched to BlackBerry was just the icing on the cake, but some nice thick icing it is!

I love the privacy and security and the way it works, and i had the big LG phone first, i could not stand all the stuff about that phone that had nothing to do with what i wanted. I really dont understand how that is something that people can go back to, but if there are android options that do not hijack ownership of your phone that is good. Not for me, tho.
    04-24-15 12:31 AM
    A friend of mine had a nexus 5. Had an issue with echoing while using speaker phone. Seems to be a hardware issue as his second nexus 5 did the exact same thing after the first was sent back for replacement.

He ended up getting a nexus 6 and it works well for him, no more echoes while using speaker phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 01:05 AM
    If there is a will, there is a way. First, you accept the permissions when you install the app. Second, App Ops is already available for Lollipop (some versions require root). Third, flash a custom ROM, if you need individual permissions control badly. There are many options for popular Android devices.

If you have concerns about tracking and data collection, first disable all you can. If you still don't agree to Google's Privacy & Terms policy, just don't use their products. Simple. Better don't use any devices that send and receive data - phones, tablets, computers, credit cards, not even Bluetooth headphones. They are all very dangerous and can destroy your life in seconds. Don't use post services as well, ever. Post offices collect your address, credit card information, contact information and they know exactly where your package is going. Truly a nightmare. Better deliver whatever you have yourself, at night and with no headlights. Do you pay taxes? Don't! Revenue agencies know everything about you. Better move to the nearest mountain, dig a bunker and never go out. The world around is a dangerous place, very dangerous.
    So... flash a custom rom. Which I knew you could do and control app permissions that way. But very few people go through the process.

If people don't bother with autoloader, which are literally click and go, then the process of unlocking a bootloader and flashing a custom rom is far too overwhelming.

And don't get me wrong, I love Google services. But I can decide when to use them, not completely being used in the background.

I know I can just flash a custom rom with no Gapps and avoid all that. But that's not something the average consumer will do.

Work Wide and Prosper
    04-24-15 01:58 AM
    And don't get me wrong, I love Google services. But I can decide when to use them, not completely being used in the background.
    You say Google collects ALL your data. What exactly? Have you noticed the ridiculous permissions apps on BlackBerry World ask for? How many users go back in Settings to restrict permissions and how many just tap on Agree without even reading that they agree to? Security and privacy depends mostly on how devices have been used. BlackBerry phone outside BES using same 3rd party online services as Android phone is no more secure.
    LuisCast likes this.
    04-24-15 05:24 AM
    So... flash a custom rom. Which I knew you could do and control app permissions that way. But very few people go through the process.
    And very few people care about Google's data mining in the first place.

But even without flashing a custom ROM you can minimize your use of Google services, and thus Google data mining. You don't have to use Gmail, or its calendar, or its contacts. You don't have to use Google search on an Android phone. You don't have to keep your search or location history turned on, and you don't have to use Google Maps. And you don't have to root and flash a custom ROM to do any of these things.
    kbz1960, Witmen, vbdwork and 1 others like this.
    04-24-15 07:25 AM
69 123