^^ They have strengths in different areas.

Your suggestion is better suited if you're looking to play / find / launch a specific song. Reason being, it will list every instance of your search term. Entering the name of an artist will result in all of their individual songs being listed as search results. This is great if you're looking for a particular song by that artist.

The 'Play' feature comes into its own if you're looking to play all of the songs by a particular artist (in order). Using the same example as above - instead of being shown all of the individual songs thumbnails, you'll be shown an option to play all songs by that artist. It's a quick way of launching all of their songs in album order.

The 'Play' feature can also be used to search for and play individual playlists. This cannot be done by just searching for it.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    07-10-14 09:02 AM
    BlackBerry need to make this universal search landing page more clear to user. Put some little hint on the bottom or via a button or something..
    Normal users need to see the command

And one more thing, please add feature or option to able to close the search app once we click the intended command.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    07-10-14 09:13 AM
    Here's a tip on how to find more:

In universal search, select "actions" from the overflow menu (3 lines icon to left of search box). Then type the first letter of each a-z and it will suggest available actions.
    Things you can do with Universal Search-img_20140710_091741.png

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2947 CB10
    JTon likes this.
    07-10-14 09:18 AM
    BlackBerry need to make this universal search landing page more clear to user. Put some little hint on the bottom or via a button or something..
    Normal users need to see the command

And one more thing, please add feature or option to able to close the search app once we click the intended command.

Posted via CB10
    Ironically, you can use the Universal Search to learn more about Instant Actions. Just enter 'Instant Actions' as a search term and then tap the Help Icon (which will be shown as an Extended Search item). Clicking on the top entry will take you to the relevant help page.
    07-10-14 10:06 AM
    Universal search is far more powerful than I initially thought when I started this thread. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 01:21 PM
    Yeahh

Posted via Q10Bold
    07-10-14 02:10 PM
    You can use it to launch other search engines in the browser ... This saves me from having to open the browser, then select the site from my bookmarks or change the search engine ...
    Can also type "google" [insert text], to search Google

Or replace it with bing or yahoo
    You can perform these type of searches without typing 'Google / Bing / Yahoo' first - you just have to enable them in the Extended Search section.

To customize your Extended Search options - Open Universal Search > swipe down from top bezel > tap 'Settings' > then tap on the 'Extended' tab.
    How do you do this? I only have Google on mine. For example, when I type something like "blackberry" into Universal Search and click the browser icon, it gives me google and the results for the search on BlackBerry. If I type "bing blackberry" or "yahoo blackberry" and click the browser icon, it still only gives me google and its results. I looked in Search settings, and I only have Google, no other search engines, available to be checked in the Extended Search tab. I've also tried to change my default search engine to yahoo or bing, but only google is available. How do I add these other search engines to Universal Search options and/or default browser search options?
    07-10-14 02:18 PM
    Edit: for the browser search engines - this was posted on another thread:
    "In your BB10 browser, visit mycroftproject.com. Search or find the search engine you want. Click the link and accept. It's that easy!"

Edit: After you add them as browser search engines they will be available in the extended search.

Posted on my awesome Z10 (STL100-3, 10.2.1.3247)
    Last edited by Stef007; 07-10-14 at 05:23 PM.
    07-10-14 05:11 PM
    How do you do this? I only have Google on mine. For example, when I type something like "blackberry" into Universal Search and click the browser icon, it gives me google and the results for the search on BlackBerry. If I type "bing blackberry" or "yahoo blackberry" and click the browser icon, it still only gives me google and its results. I looked in Search settings, and I only have Google, no other search engines, available to be checked in the Extended Search tab. I've also tried to change my default search engine to yahoo or bing, but only google is available. How do I add these other search engines to Universal Search options and/or default browser search options?
    Open the browser and type in the search engine of choice (ie bing.com) - then tap the overflow menu (3 dots in the bottom right hand corner) and select 'Add Search'. Doing so will make that particular site available for selection as an option in the Extended Search (as well as a separate search filter in the Browser).

Things you can do with Universal Search-img_20140711_010822.png

You can do this for all of the search providers and database websites like Wikipedia and IMDb.

Source - http://www.berryreview.com/2013/02/0...rsal-search-2/
    07-10-14 07:24 PM
    Edit: for the browser search engines - this was posted on another thread:
    "In your BB10 browser, visit mycroftproject.com. Search or find the search engine you want. Click the link and accept. It's that easy!"

Edit: After you add them as browser search engines they will be available in the extended search.

Posted on my awesome Z10 (STL100-3, 10.2.1.3247)
    Alternatively, go to the search engine of choice and tap the overflow menu. Select the 'Add Search' option and you're done.

This also works for sites like Wikipedia and IMDb.
    07-10-14 07:30 PM
    Open the browser and type in the search engine of choice (ie bing.com) - then tap the overflow menu (3 dots in the bottom right hand corner) and select 'Add Search'. Doing so will make that particular site available for selection as an option in the Extended Search (as well as a separate search filter in the Browser).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140711_010822.png 
Views:	518 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	284318

You can do this for all of the search providers and database websites like Wikipedia and IMDb.

Source - Search BerryReview From Your BlackBerry 10 Browser & Universal Search - BerryReview
    Thank you. I was confused (and I'm still at a loss), because I don't have the "add search" option on mine.
    07-10-14 08:32 PM
    I'm using this more all the time...is it similar on other platforms??

Posted via CB10
    07-10-14 10:35 PM
    Most used is for phone calls (call name) texts (text name or sms name) and BBM (BBM name).

But help it help you: if I want to call "John Fritz" I would start entering "c-a-l-l f-r-i-t-z" instead of "c-a-l-l j-o-h-n" as the search is progressive. As I enter the -f-r-i portion of the command, it zeroes in on that contact. If I enter -j-o-h-n - at this point I still see EVERY contact that has "john" in the name, including Johnson, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

There is also an easier way, grasshopper! I just use "call JF" - here's how:
    Did you know you can add nicknames in the contacts app? Open the contact, choose edit, tap Add Field icon at bottom then Name Details. Toggle dropdown menu to Nickname and enter and save. I use real nicknames if applicable but if not, for KEY contacts I'll enter first initial / last initial : "JF" for John Fritz, for example.

Now I can "text jf" via Universal search.

***** can also use initials / partial spellings : "call J f-r-i" narrows the search progressively and I avoid all the "johns". Try it - type "text f (space) l" were f=first initial and l=last initial.

####### THIS THING ROCKS ONCE YOU START USING IT!!!!

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    Q10Bold likes this.
    07-11-14 12:12 AM
    How about typing in 'blackberry marketing sucks'
    Too bad so many don't know about how great it is. I learned a few new ones in this thread too.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 12:29 AM
    What if we can make the universal search works like the hub. Currently, the search launch an app..so annoying.

we dont need new window ..simply built it in search icon on the bottom. Once user click a result..the search page automatically hide it self.

Click the search icon again will show the previous result. So it's more efficient and elegant.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 01:38 AM
    ... I just use "call JF" - here's how:
    Did you know you can add nicknames in the contacts app? Open the contact, choose edit, tap Add Field icon at bottom then Name Details. Toggle dropdown menu to Nickname and enter and save. I use real nicknames if applicable but if not, for KEY contacts I'll enter first initial / last initial : "JF" for John Fritz, for example.

Now I can "text jf" via Universal search ...
    This is a good idea. Here's another way, how I do it. As per your example, if I often call John Fritz, I'll have "JF" in the first name field after "John."

First name field will show: John (JF)
    Last name field will show : Fritz

That way, no matter what I type, call john, jf, or fritz, Search will give me what I'm accustomed to doing.

This also works well if I have more than one contact with the same name. For example, I have two contacts named Ken, one whom I call much more often than the other. What's worse is the one I call least has a last name that come first alphabetically, so Search always returns him first. Here's what I did:

First name for the contact I call less: Kenneth (Ken)
    First name for the contact I call more: Ken

I don't call either of them Kenneth -- I just call both of them Ken -- but this way when I type "call ken" into Search, it always returns the one I call more first. If I really want to call the other one, I still type "call ken," and Search still returns his contact as a result, but as anticipated it's not the first one.
    07-11-14 07:57 AM
    Do the Kens have different and unique last names? That was what I mentioned specifically in the first part of the post - just use the last name instead!
    Yes - I like your "JF" method, too. The only drawback for me with that would be with contacts being sync'd to desktop, I use merges to send mail lists with the first name used as a greeting block for the email!

All - keep in mind, Search has a history at the top as soon as you open it. It basically makes it a near version of speed dial on touchscreen phones : tap Search, up comes the search screen and recent actions/searches, etc. So to call John Fritz, if he's a frequent or search/action - I don't even have to type anything! All I have to do is tap his icon, which brings up his Contact entry - then I can tap Call Work, Call Mobile, Text Mobile, Email Work, Email Personal, tap the address for BB Maps to open and navigate, etc. Same for other search / action icons.
    07-11-14 10:23 AM
    Do the Kens have different and unique last names? That was what I mentioned specifically in the first part of the post - just use the last name instead!
    Yes - I like your "JF" method, too. The only drawback for me with that would be with contacts being sync'd to desktop, I use merges to send mail lists with the first name used as a greeting block for the email!
    They do have different last names, but the last name of the one I call least comes alphabetically before the one I call most, so it shows up first if I search by first name. Though using the last name would certainly work, I don't think that way -- these guys are both just "Ken" to me -- so I won't be typing "call (last name)." Also, I don't sync with a desktop, so that doesn't really play into it for me, but I can see how it would add a level of complexity.

All - keep in mind, Search has a history at the top as soon as you open it. It basically makes it a near version of speed dial on touchscreen phones : tap Search, up comes the search screen and recent actions/searches, etc. So to call John Fritz, if he's a frequent or search/action - I don't even have to type anything! All I have to do is tap his icon, which brings up his Contact entry - then I can tap Call Work, Call Mobile, Text Mobile, Email Work, Email Personal, tap the address for BB Maps to open and navigate, etc. Same for other search / action icons.
    Good to remember. I myself am on a physical keyboard, so I never use the search/magnifying glass icon. I just start typing. I do clean my Search history now and then, along with browser history, cookies, and cache.
    07-11-14 10:46 AM
    ChubTrub - looks like both of us are masters of the Universal Search!

Once I discovered all it could do on my Z10 (after ignoring it for the first 6 months) I literally forces myself to start using it as much as possible. If I caught myself opening the Contacts app, searching for a contact, then about to dial or text, I'd close the app, then force myself to use Universal Search, same with browser, navigating to folders/open folder/open app, etc!

None of that now. If I want to open app ATP/WTA Live, I just tap Search then start entering app name : "a-t" and that's all it takes for the app to pop up, tap and I'm there. Try it with any of your apps! Another example: "p-a" gets this for me, based on my installed apps, etc:

Things you can do with Universal Search-img_20140711_123614.png

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    07-11-14 01:30 PM
    Universal search + keyboard combo is probably one of the main reasons I'm still rocking a blackberry.

Previous posts have said about adding searches from websites. To save on the legwork you can go to
    http://mycroftproject.com/search-engines.html
    and search for the search string to add it into universal search so it loads up in your browser instead.

So no need to type google... or bing... just type what you want to search for and tap your search engine to go. Google, Amazon, ebay and Imdb seem to get the most use.

Things you can do with Universal Search-img_20140711_222532.png

Big thing missing for me is that it lacks Level 2 detail on what it shows from the remember app-
    Ie only title and no body text where as messages has subject and body and browser had title and web address.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 04:59 PM
    To text or others, type text the the 1st initial, space then the last initial.
    07-11-14 11:31 PM
46 12