Ever since I started looking into BlackBerry 10, I've been scratching my head looking for ways that I can afford to make the jump. My contract started over the summer, and here in Canada we're plagued with massive, three-year contracts - by the end of my contract, we'll probably be preparing for the launch of BlackBerry 12! So I looked through my family's phone bill today, and something hit me: my mother's phone has $70 remaining on its balance. My phone has $550. I think you can see where this is going...

So if my mother were to upgrade to BlackBerry 10, but then trade devices with me, would my 9810 SIM card work in the new phone (and vice versa), or would one of us need to get a different SIM card from our provider? I've heard something about my SIM possibly not working in an LTE phone, but I wanted to confirm this with you guys, as well as find out if the same applies the other way around.
    12-28-12 09:42 AM
    The BB10 device uses a micro SIM so you can't simply swap SIM cards. But you may be able to call TELUS and ask them to swap the devices on the account.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    12-28-12 09:57 AM
    The SIM size doesn't concern me much, seeing as you can trim down SIM to microSIM fairly easily, as well as put an adapter on microSIM cards to fit them in proper SIM slots. I'm just concerned that LTE might not work with my SIM card, since my 9810 only has "3G+". But if Telus is willing to swap devices on the account just like that, it would certainly be the most convenient way of doing it. I'll have to speak with them about that, thanks for the idea!
    12-28-12 10:32 AM
    The SIM size doesn't concern me much, seeing as you can trim down SIM to microSIM fairly easily, as well as put an adapter on microSIM cards to fit them in proper SIM slots. I'm just concerned that LTE might not work with my SIM card, since my 9810 only has "3G+". But if Telus is willing to swap devices on the account just like that, it would certainly be the most convenient way of doing it. I'll have to speak with them about that, thanks for the idea!
    TELUS has had three different SIM versions over history. They are typically denoted with a V# on the SIM itself. (It will either be at the front of the long number printed on the SIM, or the bottom). Only the V3 SIMS will work on the LTE network, unfortunately. You could go into your local TELUS location and pick up a new SIM to use in your new phone, but it might run you $10.
    Last edited by RDslva; 12-28-12 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Clarity
    LazyEvul likes this.
    12-28-12 09:20 PM
    TELUS has had three different SIM versions over history. They are typically denoted with a V# on the SIM itself. (It will either be at the front of the long number printed on the SIM, or the bottom). Only the V3 SIMS will work on the LTE network, unfortunately. You could go into your local TELUS location and pick up a new SIM to use in your new phone, but it might run you $10.
    Thanks for the tip, looks like my SIM is a V3 so I should be okay!
    12-30-12 08:57 AM
    hey guys,
    I have a similar question regarding 9900. I have the ability to order a MicroSIM my self and even do the SIM card programming my self. if I were to do that and get a Q10 or Z10, would I be able to utilize all the features like ActiveSync, CalDAV, CardDAV, etc.. on the BB10 devices using my current BIS data plan?

Reason I am asking is because I have an unlimited data plan on my 9900 now and would be nice if I can keep it. Other wise, I am stuck to switching to a 3GB plan, which I know for sure I`ll go over.

Thanks
    03-28-13 09:09 AM
    i could not make my old 9780 as a backup since the SIM size is different..even if i managed to make an adapter my carrier new BBZ10 contract does not include BIS anymore..might have to buy the home button phone maybe as a backup or even better i'll get a Q10 by end of 2013..
    03-28-13 10:01 AM
    Op I'm using my 9810 sim in my z10. Got it cut down and it works fine.
    The only thing to be aware of is that your 9810 had full BIS before to be able to use the z10. If you had bbm only or email only the z10 won't be fully functional

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 10:07 AM
    Just to add I only use hspa + and below. No 4g yet. 4G requires a new sim I believe

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-28-13 10:09 AM
    I can get the latest version (V3) SIM from Telus that allows LTE/4G. Of course the 9900 doesnt have either, but the Z10 does.

My data plan includes, email, web and BBM. Can that BIS plan be used with a BB10 device?
    03-28-13 10:27 AM
    I can get the latest version (V3) SIM from Telus that allows LTE/4G. Of course the 9900 doesnt have either, but the Z10 does.

My data plan includes, email, web and BBM. Can that BIS plan be used with a BB10 device?
    As long as it was unlimited.
    If you had a say 100mb monthly limit then no.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 10:34 AM
    As long as it was unlimited.
    If you had a say 100mb monthly limit then no.

Posted via CB10
    It is unlimited (which is Awesome)

So it'll work just fine?
    03-28-13 10:36 AM
    It is unlimited (which is Awesome)

So it'll work just fine?
    Yeah. Just get it trimmed to micro size and you are good to go.
    Beware though the z10 eats data compared to the bold
    So hopefully you have a lot of normal data allowance as well as blackberry data

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 03:00 PM
    Yeah. Just get it trimmed to micro size and you are good to go.
    Beware though the z10 eats data compared to the bold
    So hopefully you have a lot of normal data allowance as well as blackberry data

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. just a clarification then. if I have unlimited Blackberry data plan (BIS), would that still be Unlimited when using it on a BB10 device? regardless if i setup Email via active sync, Email through imap, caldav, carddav, listen to Slack Radio on there, etc...

Thanks
    03-28-13 07:02 PM
    Thanks. just a clarification then. if I have unlimited Blackberry data plan (BIS), would that still be Unlimited when using it on a BB10 device? regardless if i setup Email via active sync, Email through imap, caldav, carddav, listen to Slack Radio on there, etc...

Thanks
    Your unlimited bis only allows you access to BlackBerry services like bbm. Any actual data usage no longer gets run through bis so using bbm or email or any app that uses the Internet will use normal data allowances.
    It is worth noting that if you had no bis you would still be able to use BlackBerry services as normal in exactly the same way.
    For whatever reason existing bis users have to have unlimited plans or it will not work. But other than that you should ignore the word unlimited as all data usage will be through your regular data allowance.

So for example. I had unlimited blackberry data with 1 gig of Internet data usage. The unlimited BlackBerry data used to be my email and bbms and my normal Web use came out of the 1 gig.

Now I have a z10 the unlimited BlackBerry data means there is nothing really and all bbm, emails and Web usage comes out of that 1 gig.

If I had had limited BlackBerry data, say 100mb and 1 gig of data, then i wouldn't have been able to use blackberry services like bbm on my z10. I would be had to have upgraded from unlimited BlackBerry data plan or drop BIS altogether and get a normal data plan.

I'm not sure why it works like this but it just does lol

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:20 PM
    Your unlimited bis only allows you access to BlackBerry services like bbm. Any actual data usage no longer gets run through bis so using bbm or email or any app that uses the Internet will use normal data allowances.
    It is worth noting that if you had no bis you would still be able to use BlackBerry services as normal in exactly the same way.
    For whatever reason existing bis users have to have unlimited plans or it will not work. But other than that you should ignore the word unlimited as all data usage will be through your regular data allowance.

So for example. I had unlimited blackberry data with 1 gig of Internet data usage. The unlimited BlackBerry data used to be my email and bbms and my normal Web use came out of the 1 gig.

Now I have a z10 the unlimited BlackBerry data means there is nothing really and all bbm, emails and Web usage comes out of that 1 gig.

If I had had limited BlackBerry data, say 100mb and 1 gig of data, then i wouldn't have been able to use blackberry services like bbm on my z10. I would be had to have upgraded from unlimited BlackBerry data plan or drop BIS altogether and get a normal data plan.

I'm not sure why it works like this but it just does lol

Posted via CB10
    ok. I see how it works. Thanks for explaining it. Maybe i'll give Telus a call and investigate some more. See, my plan is a government plan. Working for the Government gives us the ability get those plans/discounts for personal use. So at the time, i got this and I remember asking and I was told its "unlimited" data. So i can browse the internet, send emails, listen to music. all part of the unlimited. But like i mentioned, i'll call and check it out some more.

Cheers
    03-28-13 07:29 PM
    ok. I see how it works. Thanks for explaining it. Maybe i'll give Telus a call and investigate some more. See, my plan is a government plan. Working for the Government gives us the ability get those plans/discounts for personal use. So at the time, i got this and I remember asking and I was told its "unlimited" data. So i can browse the internet, send emails, listen to music. all part of the unlimited. But like i mentioned, i'll call and check it out some more.

Cheers
    Sounds like you should be ok if you're using the phone for personal use and it isn't a work phone
    If it is work phone you may be on BES which is beyond my limited understanding lol

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:41 PM
    ok.. called up Telus support and spoke to them. I can do what I've asked about above, BUT, it'll cost me big $$$

the way the support rep explained it to me is that BB10 and other devices like that (iPhone, android, Windows, etc..) use a completely different data plan than legacy blackberry devices.. and if i use my current data plan on a BB10 device, it will be considered tethering. Since my data plan doesn't have tethering, i will get charged $8/MB.

Just imagine my bill near the end of the month. haha. With my current 9900, i do about 800MB to 1GB a month. with a BB10, that'll be around 3-4GB. I am sure Telus would love to come after me for my bill. haha

cheers guys
    03-28-13 07:42 PM
    ok.. called up Telus support and spoke to them. I can do what I've asked about above, BUT, it'll cost me big $$$

the way the support rep explained it to me is that BB10 and other devices like that (iPhone, android, Windows, etc..) use a completely different data plan than legacy blackberry devices.. and if i use my current data plan on a BB10 device, it will be considered tethering. Since my data plan doesn't have tethering, i will get charged $8/MB.

Just imagine my bill near the end of the month. haha. With my current 9900, i do about 800MB to 1GB a month. with a BB10, that'll be around 3-4GB. I am sure Telus would love to come after me for my bill. haha

cheers guys
    He's talking out of his backside. Fact is you have the z10 data plan already in your price plan. The legacy one he refers to won't be used and is useless.
    But all legacy price plans have regular data plans and is in no way tethering.
    The regular data plan is what will be used.
    By his logic if I took a sim card out of a s3 and used it in a HTC one, that would be tethering. Utter nonsense

Posted via CB10
    03-28-13 07:55 PM
    By his logic if I took a sim card out of a s3 and used it in a HTC one, that would be tethering. Utter nonsense

Posted via CB10
    I think hes talking about using my current BB9900 data plan on a BB10 device. because BB10 devices use a different APN and dont require Blackberry services like a BB9900 does.

thats how I understood it.
    03-28-13 08:57 PM
    There was a lot of wordage so I'll say it up front that I skimmed over things so I might be repeating information that has already been given. Anyways, to answer your question, yes.

The 9810 uses a Standard sized SIM card and you'll need to get a new micro SIM for the Z10. You may need an adapter to make it fit when put back into the 9810. Or just fiddle a bit and ensure the metal contacts on the card touch where it needs to.

Thanks to BlackBerry ID, when you switch devices it will notice this and usually ask you to reconfirm your BlackBerry ID login so that BlackBerry knows where to start routing data to. Other than possibly reconfirming email passwords, BBM and everything should switch to the device you're using.

As for data plan, as long as you had a proper data plan which gave you web access and all that, not just Facebook and Twitter, then you're fine. If the SIM doesn't automatically program the proper APN for you when inserted, you can always change it in the settings.

It's true that BB10 works without having a proper BIS plan like the older BlackBerry devices, but you're going to need to keep that type of plan so that your 9810 works. The Z10 will still work on a BIS plan though. Just look at Bell Mobility customers. For whatever reason, people there must have a BlackBerry plan to get the Z10 and it works for them.
    03-29-13 12:43 AM
    I think hes talking about using my current BB9900 data plan on a BB10 device. because BB10 devices use a different APN and dont require Blackberry services like a BB9900 does.

thats how I understood it.
    I think it's more that they monitor for tethering and you changing phone will play havoc with that monitoring so it's easier to charge you then to develop a better system for checking for tethering.
    What you would be doing is not tethering at all though.
    Also virgin UK haven't bothered me at all over me using my 9810 plan in my z10. But the UK is different I guess, it seems our ofcom has more bite then your fcc?

Posted via CB10
    03-29-13 05:20 AM
    I think it's more that they monitor for tethering and you changing phone will play havoc with that monitoring so it's easier to charge you then to develop a better system for checking for tethering.
    What you would be doing is not tethering at all though.
    Also virgin UK haven't bothered me at all over me using my 9810 plan in my z10. But the UK is different I guess, it seems our ofcom has more bite then your fcc?

Posted via CB10
    Hey guys,
    so after multiple phone calls to Telus Corp tech support, I was able to change my current data plan to a data plan that is for sure confirmed to work with the BB10 devices, which also includes tethering. New plan is 6GB with tethering.

Cheers
    04-03-13 11:09 AM