View Poll Results: Did you lose Mobile Data Connectivity?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • You did nothing at all - completely innocent - it just stopped working

5 55.56%
  • It happens after the install of a normal update

1 11.11%
  • It happens after the install of a leak/beta (10.1 or 10.2)

1 11.11%
  • It happens after side-loading something (DDPB, Sachesi, Chrome methods).

0 0%
  • It might occur after trying to use LINK to restore a backup from another BB10 device

0 0%
  • you were mucking around in the Engineering Screens and screwed something up

2 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    There is a rare problem under BlackBerry10 where a device can lose Mobile Data. Every other part of the device works well: It acts as a phone, can connect via WiFi, text messages etc. Just that it no longer can see mobile data.

It never gets fixed. It's permanent. It never comes back. #Heartbreaking.

The symptoms are that the device will show "lte" instead of "LTE" or "4g" instead of "4G" etc. Also - the little BlackBerry symbol for connectivity to BlackBerry services will not display. Connecting to WiFi makes it work again.

There are at least two other occurances of this here in the Forums: PLEASE read the first one, at least, to get an idea of the issue.

1) http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...du-uae-813020/ (UAE) <BEST example>
    2) http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...etwork-828105/ (AUSTRALIA)

What I am trying to survey here is the Cause and Cure.

Currently there is a work-around (as the first thread shows) wherein one goes into the Engineering Screens and does a "PS Attach" from the 3GPP radio screen. This only lasts until the radio is turned off (Airplane Mode, Reboot/restart, etc). It is not permanent.

There are several possible pre-conditions I think:

1) You did nothing at all - completely innocent - it just stopped working
    2) or It happens after the install of a normal update
    3) or It happens after the install of a leak/beta (10.1 or 10.2)
    4) or It happens after side-loading something (DDPB, Sachesi, Chrome methods).
    5) or It might occur after trying to use LINK to restore a backup from another BB10 device
    6) or perhaps trying to use LINK to restore an old data file from an older BlackBerry
    6) or Finally - you were mucking around in the Engineering Screens and screwed something up.

IF you have this problem I am very interesting in hearing your own feedback. How do you think you caught this issue and how are you working around it? Are there any keystrokes in the engineering field which help fix this that you may have found? (If you read the first link, above, you'll see that nothing apparently cures it once it happens).

Thanks, all. I appreciate the communal support.

--Bill
    Last edited by TTune; 07-25-13 at 07:22 PM. Reason: It's Permanent
    hzguo likes this.
    07-25-13 05:29 PM
    Is this the same with intermittent data service? I have BlackBerry logo but I don't have data service. This happens every 5 minutes or so depends on how heavy my data consumption at that moment. The heavier, the faster it will go off.

What I'm doing is turning ON and Off airplane mode. I thought this is about the carrier :|

I can't confirm what caused this on mine.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:48 PM
    Pre-condition #1 happens to me every now and then. It corrects itself after a bit or I just turn on wifi.
    Thread subscribed.
    07-25-13 06:58 PM
    Pre-condition #1 happens to me every now and then. It corrects itself after a bit or I just turn on wifi.
    Thread subscribed.
    What do you mean by turning on the wifi? Will it prevent the mobile data service from disappearing?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 07:06 PM
    What do you mean by turning on the wifi? Will it prevent the mobile data service from disappearing?

Posted via CB10
    If I am around wifi then I just resort to that. But if I am not then I just have to wait until it goes back on. This does only happen once every two weeks or so. Or maybe longer.
    07-25-13 07:15 PM
    Is this the same with intermittent data service? I have BlackBerry logo but I don't have data service. This happens every 5 minutes or so depends on how heavy my data consumption at that moment. The heavier, the faster it will go off.

What I'm doing is turning ON and Off airplane mode. I thought this is about the carrier :|

I can't confirm what caused this on mine.

Posted via CB10
    I've never seen a sporadic one - this issue I'm describing is permanent. The ONLY cure at the moment is to muck around in the Engineering screens. In this case in the OP you would never see the BlackBerry symbol except on WiFi because you would never get mobile data.
    07-25-13 07:23 PM
    In my case (Australia), it happened all suddenly. Everything worked perfectly the night before, and on second day, I woke up in morning and and noticed that mobile data was offline.

I realized that my carrier's network is online (no planned outage), so I looked around in engineering screen.

Usually, I look at engineering screen to check battery usage. Coming from 9900 background, I know that I shall not change any radio related parameters - so no radio parameter was ever changed.

Soon afterwards, I discovered the same workaround, and have been using it every since.
    07-26-13 06:21 AM
    Does the register blackberry in settings>about>network not work?

SURVEY: &quot;PS ATTACH&quot; required to re-establish Mobile Data (Q10 &amp; Z10)-img_00000007.png

Via CB10 on my Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4687
    07-26-13 06:30 AM
    This has happened to me a couple of times when i've got up in the morning and have no BIS indicator(so no data) I just go to settings > about > network then press the overflow menu on the right to register blackberry device. This sticks after a reboot.

07-26-13 10:33 AM
    Does the register blackberry in settings>about>network not work?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000007.png 
Views:	713 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	186095

It does not work to use the Register command (overflow menu from About screens) - sadly the workaround is the PS ATTACH.
    07-27-13 03:21 PM
    One other question for all of you who replied so far: (Especially DoktorFace, hzguo, moosbb )

Was your phone purchased or obtained from your Carrier or directly from BlackBerry (contest, Promo, gift)?
    Finally - are your devices SIM unlocked or tied to your Carrier?

Also - are you on a Z10 or Q10?

Just looking for commonality.

--Bill
    07-27-13 03:23 PM
    One other question for all of you who replied so far: (Especially DoktorFace, hzguo, moosbb )

Was your phone purchased or obtained from your Carrier or directly from BlackBerry (contest, Promo, gift)?
    Finally - are your devices SIM unlocked or tied to your Carrier?

Also - are you on a Z10 or Q10?

Just looking for commonality.

--Bill
    Purchased via online electronics retailer, shipped from Hong Kong, factory unlocked Z10.
    07-29-13 09:22 PM
    Thanks for the update @hzguo I've shared that with the people looking into this for us at BlackBerry.
    hzguo likes this.
    07-30-13 09:22 AM
    Another one here with the same problem: SQN100-5 T-Mobile, Unlocked and been using with AT&T.
    Although I selected the "after leak install vote" I am not sure if its accurate. I. Installed 10.2.1.1055 and it was OK for 5 days, and 3-4 more leaks in the past
    . Then I was troubleshooting another problem, shut the phone off, took out SIm and start it. The shut it again and inserted inactive T-Mobile SIM. On and off again, inserted the prime SIM and when it booted up there was no data.

Did anyone found solutions for this?
    TTune, what did they say from BB?
    11-19-13 10:30 PM
    It happens to me but only when i use edge connection it will display but the BlackBerry logo will not appear it only appears when i turn 3G on. In the engineering screen ps attach says yes so i dont know if i should press again.

Posted on my Z10 via CB10
    11-20-13 05:12 AM
    It happens to me but only when i use edge connection it will display but the BlackBerry logo will not appear it only appears when i turn 3G on. In the engineering screen ps attach says yes so i dont know if i should press again.

If your data is coming back by itself when you switch to 3G, most likely you don't have the same problem. Perhaps, your carrier doesn't offer data on 2G?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 07:00 AM
    If your data is coming back by itself when you switch to 3G, most likely you don't have the same problem. Perhaps, your carrier doesn't offer data on 2G?

Posted via CB10
    No it does offer edge, when i turn 3G it works but wheb i revert to edge it doesnt work, sometimes i reboot the device to get edge back. But now i guess i have solved it i have written down the apn settings and rebooted problem seems to be fixed for now.

11-20-13 10:01 AM
    Another one here with the same problem: SQN100-5 T-Mobile, Unlocked and been using with AT&T.
    Although I selected the "after leak install vote" I am not sure if its accurate. I. Installed 10.2.1.1055 and it was OK for 5 days, and 3-4 more leaks in the past
    . Then I was troubleshooting another problem, shut the phone off, took out SIm and start it. The shut it again and inserted inactive T-Mobile SIM. On and off again, inserted the prime SIM and when it booted up there was no data.

Did anyone found solutions for this?
    TTune, what did they say from BB?
    Hi - I just got a note from the tech support folks at BB (from Halifax, Canada, where they are shutting that call centre down, sadly).
    This information is up to date as of 20 November 2013:

The issue itself appears to be with an NV being set improperly. Basically only allowing a portion of the registration to take place. There are two types of connections which is network connects, PS and CS. It appeared that only CS was enabled.

Some basic, not BlackBerry vetted information here:

Wired n Wireless: Simultaneous CS & PS connections

I pushed for additional information, however our developers could only come to the conclusion that the setting was changed in the engineering screens. I expected the issue to be closed entirely after that, however it appears to have caught the attention of some other developers whom are still investigating.

Note: That article in the link above is moderately technical but very informative. If you've ever wondered how this all works you'll like it.

As they're still considering it as an Open Ticket I'll keep posting updates as they come in.
    11-20-13 12:50 PM
    Hi - I just got a note from the tech support folks at BB (from Halifax, Canada, where they are shutting that call centre down, sadly).
    This information is up to date as of 20 November 2013:

The issue itself appears to be with an NV being set improperly. Basically only allowing a portion of the registration to take place. There are two types of connections which is network connects, PS and CS. It appeared that only CS was enabled.

Some basic, not BlackBerry vetted information here:

Wired n Wireless: Simultaneous CS & PS connections

I pushed for additional information, however our developers could only come to the conclusion that the setting was changed in the engineering screens. I expected the issue to be closed entirely after that, however it appears to have caught the attention of some other developers whom are still investigating.

Note: That article in the link above is moderately technical but very informative. If you've ever wondered how this all works you'll like it.

As they're still considering it as an Open Ticket I'll keep posting updates as they come in.
    Thanks a bunch. If its worth mentioning, tell them you are not alone. Or may be, point me to a place where I can submit a ticket too.

BTW, I lost a network connection today and when I connected back to the network, internet was up. So for me, it only goes down when I toggle completely cellular radio from the settings (or shut down the phone).

I want this fixed though.
    11-20-13 04:05 PM
    Thanks a bunch. If its worth mentioning, tell them you are not alone. Or may be, point me to a place where I can submit a ticket too.

BTW, I lost a network connection today and when I connected back to the network, internet was up. So for me, it only goes down when I toggle completely cellular radio from the settings (or shut down the phone).

I want this fixed though.
    Yea it happened to me again today, only with edge and when i do the engineering screen solution it works. I need a fix as well if someone knows where we can submit the problem let us know

11-20-13 10:28 PM
    Yea it happened to me again today, only with edge and when i do the engineering screen solution it works. I need a fix as well if someone knows where we can submit the problem let us know

So when you say only with edge, you mean that if you are in a area that has EDGE only, your phone will say GSM (e.g. no data) but if you move to 3/4G it will connect to data by it self?
    Also while you have no data when "GSM" and you press "PS Attach" it will connect e.g. change to EDGE?

Posted via CB10
    GS51 likes this.
    11-20-13 10:40 PM
    So when you say only with edge, you mean that if you are in a area that has EDGE only, your phone will say GSM (e.g. no data) but if you move to 3/4G it will connect to data by it self?
    Also while you have no data when "GSM" and you press "PS Attach" it will connect e.g. change to EDGE?

Posted via CB10
    No, thats not it, when i have 2G enabled the edge icon (E) appears next to my signal but no BlackBerry icons. While when i go to 3G the BlackBerry icons appear. When i did the ps attach the 2G worked. But only temporarily.

11-20-13 10:44 PM
    Do you have mobile data at all when on edge or only BlackBerry services are down?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 10:58 PM
    Do you have mobile data at all when on edge or only BlackBerry services are down?

Posted via CB10
    In settings, it says EDGE voice/data.
    But no BlackBerry icons

11-20-13 11:07 PM
    In settings, it says EDGE voice/data.
    But no BlackBerry icons

Then you don't have the same problem as us. We don't have data at all - voice only.

In case you haven't tried that, go to settings, about, network, hit the 3 dots and try to register BlackBerry services. Sorry if you are aware of that.

Posted via CB10
    GS51 likes this.
    11-21-13 12:56 PM
31 12