What's the difference between the pin and the imei?
    If an IMEI is blocked in Canada, move the phone outside Canada. If a PIN is blocked from BlackBerry, it's blocked worldwide. Actually the PIN block has been used on the PlayBook since it tries to connect to the server to update the software on initial setup.

Posted via CB10
    mas_quemex likes this.
    07-02-14 09:50 AM
    If an IMEI is blocked in Canada, move the phone outside Canada. If a PIN is blocked from BlackBerry, it's blocked worldwide. Actually the PIN block has been used on the PlayBook since it tries to connect to the server to update the software on initial setup.

Posted via CB10
    So, does every single wireless operator in the world ask BB for permission to let a phone operate on their network? I guess I'm confused as to how a phone that's not block via IMEI can't still.....be blocked. What's the mechanics of that?
    07-02-14 12:58 PM
    So, does every single wireless operator in the world ask BB for permission to let a phone operate on their network? I guess I'm confused as to how a phone that's not block via IMEI can't still.....be blocked. What's the mechanics of that?
    No its a BlackBerry. BlackBerry owns the BlackBerry infrastructure. No permission needed to allow a BlackBerry on the BlackBerry infrastructure.
    Imei is carrier related. If it's blocked it only blocks that BlackBerry (or any other phone) from working on the carrier that blocks the imei.

If BlackBerry blocks the pin. It is blocked from the BlackBerry infrastructure... worldwide.

If a BlackBerry is lost or stolen. Only a carrier can request a pin block.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.710
    mas_quemex likes this.
    07-02-14 02:10 PM
    No its a BlackBerry. BlackBerry owns the BlackBerry infrastructure. No permission needed to allow a BlackBerry on the BlackBerry infrastructure.
    Imei is carrier related. If it's blocked it only blocks that BlackBerry (or any other phone) from working on the carrier that blocks the imei.

If BlackBerry blocks the pin. It is blocked from the BlackBerry infrastructure... worldwide.

If a BlackBerry is lost or stolen. Only a carrier can request a pin block.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.710
    But, what BB infrastructure does it need? If it's not using BES (or BIS anymore), it seems that only BBM wouldn't work, otherwise it's just a phone that has a data plan.
    07-02-14 02:16 PM
    Well, regardless of pin block or IMEI lock. If the wrong password wipe still requires a password after, then the average thief won't really be able to resell it.

For parts only.

Add in top an IMEI block and potentially PIN block.

Yeah, after stolen/lost BB10 phones are basically bricks. Cool.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 03:09 PM
    Also, it should be pointed out that Lego make bricks too.

I like Lego

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175 O2 UK
    07-02-14 04:46 PM
    My phone is on BES 10 and it asks for old password even after secure wipe

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 05:04 PM
    But, what BB infrastructure does it need? If it's not using BES (or BIS anymore), it seems that only BBM wouldn't work, otherwise it's just a phone that has a data plan.
    Apple iCloud security check works similar to BlackBerry pin check

Posted via CB10 on glorious Z10 powered by 10.2.1.3175
    07-02-14 05:19 PM
    I derped. You are correct. I knew I must have been forgetting something.

IMEI list it is!

Posted via CB10
    Errrm You are wrong. Of there's a password on the phone and You type a wrong password 10 times, yes it will security wipe, but guess what, the password will still remain after the wipe's done. So all that really happened was a complete erase of the former user's personal details...

Now that's security for u

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 05:28 PM
    Errrm You are wrong. Of there's a password on the phone and You type a wrong password 10 times, yes it will security wipe, but guess what, the password will still remain after the wipe's done. So all that really happened was a complete erase of the former user's personal details...

Posted via CB10
    Had to wipe a customer's device. After 10 tries I was able to get into the OS. But that was a 9900. Will experiment on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 07:11 PM
    Apple iCloud security check works similar to BlackBerry pin check

Posted via CB10 on glorious Z10 powered by 10.2.1.3175
    I don't know how ICloud security works. Would you mind explaining it and comparing it to BB pin check.
    07-02-14 07:14 PM
    Working as intended. The password does not reset with wipes. I wish people would try things, before declaring them as fact.

Posted via CB10
    Just tested this on my Z10 with .3175. I entered a wrong password 10 times (it asked me 2 times to put "blackberry" instead of the password). Guess what. Device completely wiped but when it booted back into the OS, it didn't ask for any password.... so can you tell me what's wrong?
    Witmen likes this.
    07-02-14 07:21 PM
    I may be wrong, but when the new OS10 phones check for software updates during the initial setup, a phone with a blocked pin will fail the setup and be basically a brick. Similar to a blocked PlayBook, blacklisted PINs will probably not activated.

If there was no password on the phone, the thief could still use the phone. The solution would to be change your BlackBerryID password using the BlackBerry web site and the phone would then prompt for the new BlackBerryID password and possibly wipe if the new password is not entered. I am not referring to Protect, just the BlackBerryID password.

Blacklisting is probably not easy, as it requires a paid support call to BlackBerry and I think a Police report number.
    07-02-14 08:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    You're wrong. A security wipe due to 10 wrong passwords removes the password on every BlackBerry I've used with a QNX based OS, including the PlayBook. I've tested it on everyone of them that I've had. If you ain't on BES and I stole you're BB10, I'd be able to use the phone on WiFi in around 5 to 10 minutes.
    07-02-14 09:32 PM
    You're wrong. A security wipe due to 10 wrong passwords removes the password on every BlackBerry I've used with a QNX based OS, including the PlayBook. I've tested it on everyone of them that I've had. If you ain't on BES and I stole you're BB10, I'd be able to use the phone on WiFi in around 5 to 10 minutes.
    that's what happened to me when I tested it some hours ago on my z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 10:29 PM
40 12