Every time an update for either BB10 itself or a popular app such as twitter is released, I am always hoping for a sudden UI change that includes some cool cascades animations. Such as deleting messages in the hub, I remember seeing a demonstration last year with cascades and when you delete a message, it is shredded like in a paper shredder.

If they created "print to go" using cascades, why don't they start fully taking advantage of it and start immersing it in the entire OS? Print to go looks cool when all the papers re arrange... but that's the only reason I've ever opened the app, to look at the cool cascades stuff.

Hopefully cascades will be utilized sooner than later. It gives potential customers just one more thing to be impressed by on top of an already impressive OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 06:14 PM
    Good point.

I'm guessing here, but I think they're trying to optimize what's already going on a bit more before throwing in too many new features like special animations on top. (Although there are some different animations coming in 10.2.)

Replacing core apps made using Adobe AIR with Cascades versions is likely a higher priority first.
    Ex: Settings
    07-16-13 06:20 PM
    Edited thread title just a bit to be more specific.

Otherwise, I know people were going to think it was about Cascades (not) coming to PlayBook.
    07-16-13 06:22 PM
    Good point.

I'm guessing here, but I think they're trying to optimize what's already going on a bit more before throwing in too many new features like special animations on top. (Although there are some different animations coming in 10.2.)

Replacing core apps made using Adobe AIR with Cascades versions is likely a higher priority first.
    Ex: Settings
    This makes sense and I believe in time we will see more Cascades and TAT influence. Just look at some upcoming features and effects in 10.2

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 06:34 PM
    Twitter is built with cascades

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 06:35 PM
    I think more Cascades will be added. Settings and Weather are already getting updated to Cascades, and I hope Facebook is next on the list. One app I hope gets Cascades is the browser. I know that it's written in HTML but I don't if in real world use, this gives us that much of a speed advantage. With Cascades, we'd get a unified UI and the swipe to go back gesture, and possibly even Active Frame support. Actually, I'd like to see most, if not, allpre-loaded BlackBerry 10 software have corresponding Active Frames. What better way to show off the full features of BlackBerry 10 than for BlackBerry to fully utilize their own developer tools.
    07-16-13 07:13 PM
    A broswer in cascades is bad data. Everything will have to be in webview which will slow it right down.

Posted via CB10
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    07-16-13 07:26 PM
    A broswer in cascades is bad data. Everything will have to be in webview which will slow it right down.

Posted via CB10
    I figured there was an advantage to writing the browser in HTML, but wasn't sure how much of an advantage it is. Thanks Kris!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 07:34 PM
    The Cascades team needs to focus on basics, not on eye candy. There are still many extremely basic features missing from Cascades. For instance, the lists are quite inflexible. Drag & drop is missing. ActionBar is too simple. No vector-drawing capabilities, custom fonts, no access to the scene graph, no ability to subclass controls or override default behaviour/rendering... I could go on for quite a while. These features are taken for granted in any other framework and must be top priority.

Also, Cascades is in danger of being left behind, as it is based on Qt 4.8 while the rest of the world is already on Qt 5.1...
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-16-13 08:36 PM
    These features are taken for granted in any other framework and must be top priority.
    Agreed. I've been interested in BB10 again lately after several months away from it, and looking through the Cascades docs last night and tonight it seems many, many things are still incomplete.

Have they shared any timeline for when these things will be complete? I'm just catching up after a long time away from the platform, so I may have missed the timeline.
    07-16-13 08:51 PM
    The Cascades team needs to focus on basics, not on eye candy. There are still many extremely basic features missing from Cascades. For instance, the lists are quite inflexible. Drag & drop is missing. ActionBar is too simple. No vector-drawing capabilities, custom fonts, no access to the scene graph, no ability to subclass controls or override default behaviour/rendering... I could go on for quite a while. These features are taken for granted in any other framework and must be top priority.

Also, Cascades is in danger of being left behind, as it is based on Qt 4.8 while the rest of the world is already on Qt 5.1...
    Couldn't agree more, hopefully 10.2MR is a updated to Qt language

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:01 PM

Qt 5.1 was only released on July 4th. And it only has preliminary support for iOS and Android. Full support for those platforms won't come until 5.2. And 5.0 final only came out in Dec. 2012. So I doubt that the rest of the world in on Qt5.1
    07-16-13 10:24 PM
    Donno what QT is, but can cascades ever upgrade to the new 5.1? Or is it stuck in 4.8 forever

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:36 PM
    Donno what QT is, but can cascades ever upgrade to the new 5.1? Or is it stuck in 4.8 forever

Posted via CB10
    Qt is the language in which cascades is coded

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 10:48 PM
    Couldn't agree more, hopefully 10.2MR is a updated to Qt language

Posted via CB10
    I haven't really looked into Qt too much but a lot of times a major version change (ex. Qt 4 -> Qt 5) will bring some incompatibilities that may slow down the transition. Someone with more experience with Qt might be able to give a better answer about upgrading from Qt 4.8 to Qt 5.1.
    07-16-13 10:56 PM
    I think to market it properly cascades effects will be super important to differentiate with others. So to me it would be a high priority. Although I know other key features ate missing.

Posted via CB10
    LostOnThePianoRoll likes this.
    07-17-13 04:32 AM