I use my Q10 as my phone and for all things Exchange, Box, etc. Occasionally (rarely, but sometimes) I view and even edit an Office doc via Box. Mainly, I use the Q10 for my communications device -- I travel little and am usually at my desk at the office or else at my desk at home.

I have a number of videos that I watch for training purposes -- I have quite a few on my list right now. Most of it is talking heads, more or less. I use the PlayBook for all of that -- and often plug in a long HDMI cable I always have sitting there plugged into the TV at the office and at home.

As good as the PlayBook is for this, I'm thinking of getting a Z30 to essentially replace it. I'm thinking that overall having the BB10 OS will be a sweet improvement, even if I'm mainly just using it for managing videos (which I realize is the one thing the PlayBook can do just as well). Of course, on the rare occasion I want to browse the web or view/edit Office docs, the BB10 OS on the Z30 will shine over the PlayBook. From what I saw in the store, the smaller screen is probably not so bad as compared to the PlayBook and it's still one heck of a jump above the Q10.

I'm just looking for opinions on whether it seems worth it to go to the Z30 just for the purposes I'm describing, or if there's really not going to be much improvement over the PlayBook and I may as well wait to see what else is coming out in the months ahead (like maybe a Q30, perhaps).

Thanks!
    01-26-14 08:27 AM
    I did exactly what you're referring to... I use my Playbook very little now BUT miss my physical keyboard do much I'm actually considering changing back to the Q10 lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 09:31 AM
    Why not just use you hdmi cable to the q10, you can playon your monitor in 1080p or what ever your monitor supports.
    You can even play a video from q10 on monitor while editing docs on the phone.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    01-26-14 12:24 PM
    I did exactly what you're referring to... I use my Playbook very little now BUT miss my physical keyboard do much I'm actually considering changing back to the Q10 lol.

Posted via CB10
    So you don't regret giving up the PlayBook, then, and you can navigate videos just fine and sometimes even watch them just fine on the Z30?
    01-26-14 04:08 PM
    Why not just use you hdmi cable to the q10, you can playon your monitor in 1080p or what ever your monitor supports.
    You can even play a video from q10 on monitor while editing docs on the phone.
    That's really wild that you say that, because the thoughts of having to use the relatively tiny screen on the Q10 to navigate to pick/organize my videos and especially to try to manage the time position in a video in the control bar at the bottom seems so excrutiatingly undesirable that I'm now wondering it I'll end up regretting going from the PlayBook to the Z30 in the first place for exactly that reason.

One of the reasons I thought of going to the Z30 from the PlayBook is that at least with the Z30 it's not so bad to watch a video directly on the device, which has a "much" bigger screen for videos than the Q10 does once you factor in the aspect ratios. I saw them side-by-side in the store and also put a 7" tablet next to it to replicate the size of the PlayBook display, and there was a bigger apparent jump from the Q10 to the Z30 than there was from the Z30 to the PlayBook. Maybe not on paper, but that Q10 video sure looked tiny next to the other two. And of course the Z30 has far superior sound than the Q10.

(By the way, for standing up a BB phone for videos or Skype, iKross seems to make an awesome unit. I got a few of them and they're just ideal. I use the flat/rectangular one, which I'm assuming is a substantial design improvement over the former one with curves and shapes to it which one Amazon video review shows as being pretty unstable. Check it out on their site or on Amazon.)

I actually have used the Q10 for playing training videos on the TV with an HDMI cable before, and one of the main reasons I quickly abandoned that in favor of using the PlayBook for this was that I very often have to stop and go back a few seconds or minutes in these training videos to hear something more clearly a second or third time, and to try to position things that tightly on the Q10 is just not happening. These are usually hour-long videos (recorded on the PlayBook and that's it's limit for the duration of a video it can shoot), so moving seconds or minutes backwards or forwards in the control bar is pretty fine-tuned stuff.

I've even tried using Bridge to use the PlayBook to control the Q10 and that didn't really provide a very tight solution either. And I discovered and use KalemSoft, an absolutely amazing media player for BB10 and PlayBook (and now also Windows) that provides incredible control, but that too isn't enough to make it worth trying to navigate these videos with the Q10 when it's so much easier to do with the larger screen on the PlayBook.

I totally forgot about that issue until you brought up using the Q10. So, maybe I should stay where I am and forget about going to the Z30 for videos.
    01-26-14 04:39 PM