I use sms because those that don't have BB that I message either have a feature phone with no whatsapp, or have a very small data cap that they usually hit without the help of any IM app. Luckily I have unlimited sms to/from US/Canada.
    01-07-13 09:44 PM
    My daughter, for instance, runs at 5,000+ SMS/MMS per month.
    Assuming she sleeps 8 hours a day that's the equivalent of 10 SMS every minute of every day.
    01-07-13 09:55 PM
    Also, WhatsApp vs SMS...
    I live in Northern Ireland. My brother works in Southern Ireland. For him to SMS me, or visa-vera, costs money as it's charged at international rate. On WhatsApp it doesn't cost a thing.
    I have a friend in China. Same things applies. WhatsApp preferred to SMS.
    01-07-13 10:04 PM
    Then don't use them if you don't want them.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    ummm,,, ok,,, i won't...
    01-08-13 12:31 AM
    Have you ever used Whatsapp? I'm guessing not, or you would know the difference between it and SMS. Being able to group chat, send pics and videos flawlessly (unlike MMS), as well as voice notes makes it FAR superior to a simple text where you're constrained to character limits. Aside from Read receipts, it's pretty much exactly like BBM, except better, because it's cross platform.
    I have used all the third party apps that I mentioned in my original post. To be honest I didn't like any of them or really have a need for them. I don't need to group chat, everytime I send a picture through text it gets received (so I don't have any issues with that regard) and I don't send a lot of videos or capture many to be honest. Voice notes are cool if the other person is in a place where they are able to listen to them. But in most cases the people I stay connected with are at work and a silent text gets the trick done.

I never said these apps were awful, I just said I don't understand the allure because what they offer, I do not need.
    01-08-13 08:28 AM
    Assuming she sleeps 8 hours a day that's the equivalent of 10 SMS every minute of every day.
    I think your math is off...

8 hours of sleep leaves 16 hours of "up" time.

16 hours = 960 minutes

960 minutes x 10 sms = 9,600 sms a day

5,000 sms a month is only 166 a day.

Keep in mind when someone sees their SMS total, it includes incoming texts as well. So even if someone doesn't send 10 sms every minute, they certainly can receive that many.

I easily go over 5,000 texts in a month without blinking.
    01-08-13 09:21 PM
    To answer th� OP, just wait a month or two after launch and Watsapp \ similar services will be flying to get their apps out for it.
    01-09-13 01:00 AM
    I have used all the third party apps that I mentioned in my original post. To be honest I didn't like any of them or really have a need for them. I don't need to group chat, everytime I send a picture through text it gets received (so I don't have any issues with that regard) and I don't send a lot of videos or capture many to be honest. Voice notes are cool if the other person is in a place where they are able to listen to them. But in most cases the people I stay connected with are at work and a silent text gets the trick done.

I never said these apps were awful, I just said I don't understand the allure because what they offer, I do not need.
    Then they are not something you value.

Cool

Millions do. I do.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-09-13 03:04 AM
    I really don't see the fascination with Whatsapp, Yahoo Messenger has been doing what Whatsapp is doing for 5-6 years on BB platform, with the advantage of working on computers too and you don't have to give your phone number away.

And it's completely free.

Same applies to Gtalk if one is that way inclined.

Now, between Facebook and Twitter messaging I don't really need either anymore.

Last time I installed Whatsapp it presented me with a huge list of users......out of which only a few were active. I know I show up as a user right now even though I deleted it.
    01-09-13 03:15 AM
    nobody uses SMS anymore

1 sms is like 20cents...
    Here in France, I doubt there is any contract without unlimited number of sms for free (and strange enough, young people still do use massively BBs for BBM).
    01-09-13 04:06 AM
    I don't like to give out my cell phone number and/or some people don't like to either, so WhatsApp is out. Many of the people I talk to socially online are international texting for me, or for them to reply.

It's Trillian for me, have had Pro for at least 5 years. Supports all the IM functions including Facebook Chat, GoogleTalk, Yahoo and Windows Live messenger, ICQ...

It has a web function, so it works on the Playbook and its main PC app will even now run in full-screen PC games (much like the Steam overlay).

It'd be one I really hope will be on the BB10. https://www.trillian.im/download/ .... Oh, and Steam!
    01-09-13 04:51 AM
    Here in France, I doubt there is any contract without unlimited number of sms for free (and strange enough, young people still do use massively BBs for BBM).
    That's because BBM is private and safe (you can easily block other users) and most important of all, as somebody I cant remember said, BBM brings eye contact in IM. You really feel a connection with the person on the other side.
    01-09-13 05:15 AM
87 ... 234