I think a lot of folks here forget this is a WORLDWIDE forum and we are literally all over the globe. It always troubles me when someone attacks another poster because what may work for one doesn't always work for the other because of cost or carrier options. Sorry to be off topic but I really dislike that.
    This is how I get around it. I BBM Contact A in said foreign country who has a BB and have him forward the BBM to Contact B who doesn't have a BB. After a while Contact A get frustrated and teaches contact B about BB and BBM. Contact B sees the wonder of BBM and trades in non BB phone for a shiny new BB. <Sarcasm font off>
    T-Raww likes this.
    01-06-13 03:41 PM
    Whatsapp will be available on launch, but as a sideloadable Android app. Whatsapp (android) works fine on the Dev Alpha & Playbook
    Side loading is really not a viable solution for 95% of users who will not want to or know how to do it.
    01-06-13 03:50 PM
    There's a post someone made once on WPcentral, how he showed off the new Windows Phone 8 to 2 young ladies in a carrier shop and they loved it...they loved the UI, the slickness etc etc. They were well on their way to making purchases when one asked him about Instagram. He told her there was none on the platform. That was the end of their interest in the phone.

Just one story, but everyone has different tastes and one or two special apps that they feel they can't do without. That is how it is.
    WpCentral?? I'm on Crackberry.com
    01-06-13 03:58 PM
    Perhaps this is off topic a bit - but - I am truly amused by the casual "well we can just side load it...".

I read constantly that one of the things BB is without a doubt better than Android is in the measure of security. Well, unless you do the .bar conversion yourself on your own computer, you do understand that the moment you do this - your phone is no more secure than the Android phones "we" love to make fun of here, and is subject to the same perils that Android phones are when they get programs not from the Google Play Store or in the case of BB10 directly from BlackBerry World.

Are we even sure that BB10 is going to allow side loading once the final release is made official?
    CairnsRock and brmiller1976 like this.
    01-06-13 04:11 PM
    This topic is NOT about whether SMS is better than WhatsApp. We all know those arguments and frankly we dont care. We want WhatsApp PERIOD. Now what about other methods of cross platform messaging?
    "we want"
    "frankly we don't care"

With all due respect,

I think this is where this thread started being less about constructive opinion/discussion. Emotions can get high when one has a strong opinion, it may not always elicit like minded responses favourable to you though. I find honey over vinegar works best, all in my humble opinion.
    01-06-13 04:12 PM
    What the **** is an SMS/MMS? All my friends own Blackberries :P or I call them LOL
    Lehomer and T-Raww like this.
    01-06-13 05:53 PM
    Anyone that doesn't see the benifits of data messaging has clearly never travelled the world
    Vector-SS likes this.
    01-06-13 09:54 PM
    WpCentral?? I'm on Crackberry.com
    The state of messaging on BlackBerry 10-you-dont-say.jpg
    01-06-13 10:16 PM
    Mines work perfectly I just used my normal phone number a message came to my phone and I did and authorized. It
    01-06-13 10:19 PM
    Anyone that doesn't see the benifits of data messaging has clearly never travelled the world
    You can activate SMS internationally for a temporary time if you want as well. Problem with that is boy do they ever gouge you on the price of those travel packages. If your destination has WiFi, you wouldn't have to pay a cent using whatsapp. If it doesn't have WiFi you're screwed.
    01-06-13 11:17 PM
    You can activate SMS internationally for a temporary time if you want as well. Problem with that is boy do they ever gouge you on the price of those travel packages. If your destination has WiFi, you wouldn't have to pay a cent using whatsapp. If it doesn't have WiFi you're screwed.
    That's where BBM is king, you can send 400-500 BBMs before you reach 1mb of roaming data and even photos get sent in a 50kb data format by default with the option to request the full quality photo later when you're on wifi or back home.

BBM simply can't be beat for roaming.
    01-07-13 03:31 AM
    That's where BBM is king, you can send 400-500 BBMs before you reach 1mb of roaming data and even photos get sent in a 50kb data format by default with the option to request the full quality photo later when you're on wifi or back home.

BBM simply can't be beat for roaming.
    Isn't this the same for WhatsApp, KiK and other similar messaging platforms? I assume most text based messaging systems will consume meager amounts of data...unless, of course, multimedia is being sent over.
    01-07-13 03:51 AM
    Isn't this the same for WhatsApp, KiK and other similar messaging platforms? I assume most text based messaging systems will consume meager amounts of data...unless, of course, multimedia is being sent over.
    From what I hear whatsapp uses a lot of data while idle, BBM only uses data when you're actually using it.

Edit- I mean a lot of data for roaming.
    01-07-13 05:11 AM
    This month's data usage on my SGIII. While I have not traveled abroad this month it shows that my data usage on WhatsApp to be nearly identical as Twitter.
    I can easily turn it off as I do Twitter when I'm abroad, use a local SIM, or use Wi-Fi.

Edit: I should add that my usage includes media sent to my WhatsApp groups from the group members and contacts and media shared from my Instagram to WhatsApp for my various groups and contacts.

98% of my IM messaging and media sharing is now done through WhatsApp.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails The state of messaging on BlackBerry 10-uploadfromtaptalk1357559749839.jpg   The state of messaging on BlackBerry 10-uploadfromtaptalk1357559813936.jpg  
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-07-13 at 06:27 AM.
    01-07-13 05:59 AM
    From what I hear whatsapp uses a lot of data while idle, BBM only uses data when you're actually using it.

Edit- I mean a lot of data for roaming.
    ok, that makes sense...but doesn't BBM update when idle too? That's why we have the 'recent updates' section and BBM avatars update themselves when changed.
    01-07-13 06:49 AM
    ok, that makes sense...but doesn't BBM update when idle too? That's why we have the 'recent updates' section and BBM avatars update themselves when changed.
    You can turn those off, music updates too etc
    01-07-13 06:53 AM
    I think we may be looking at some regional differences in this post.
    You're in Germany, where SMS is apparently dying off, taken over by WhatsApp, etc. Here in Canada, my circle of acquaintances use BBM where applicable; iMessage for the iPhone users. Cross-platform is mainly SMS. Almost every smartphone and phone plan here has unlimited SMS/MMS. My daughter, for instance, runs at 5,000+ SMS/MMS per month. Getting a circle of friends & family to all use the same cross-platform messenger is quite a chore. Some don't like the fact that the cross-platform apps use their precious allotment of monthly data.

Isn't diversity great? Like you, I'm looking forward to BB 10 just like Christmas. I know I'll be getting new stuff and I'm dying to find out (for sure) what that stuff will be!

Cheers. ~ecm
    I don't know where in Canada you are but for me (Also Canada), cross platforms messages have taken off for the 16-25 age group.
    01-07-13 06:55 AM
    The problem with cross platform messaging apps is you have to use quite a few to cover everybody, I have some people on gtalk, some on yahoo messenger, a few on wahatsapp (although far less then what whatsapp tells me I have, try it once and you'll always show up as a user) etc

That's why I just use BBM and SMS now, and occasionally I sign into Yahoo Messenger but those contacts are usually on a computer.
    01-07-13 07:07 AM
    I don't know where in Canada you are but for me (Also Canada), cross platforms messages have taken off for the 16-25 age group.
    I am not in that age group, but my nieces and my nephews mentioned that when they installed WhatsApp on their Androids and iPhones the app blew up with their contacts who where already on WhatsApp.

That's on either side of the pond.

For me, on a MUCH OLDER age group, I remember the huge list of contacts who were already on WhatsApp, which was nice to have them on an IM client again since they left BB.
    01-07-13 07:10 AM
    As someone who has kids, I like Kik because it runs on their iPods. I really have trouble understanding why WhatsApp doesn't have a version for iPods.

I hope that BBM is integrated, so that if a contact has a blackberry, you automatically BBM them instead of sms. This is how iMessage works on iOS. Maybe with their messaging hub this will be a moot point.

I really hope BBM will work over WiFi. When I am travelling, I sometime shut of cel service, and only get network connectivity on WiFi. Unfortunately this doesn't work well with existing BB's, as you can't get email, BBM over wi-fi. Hopfeully BB10 changes this.

~S
    01-07-13 12:09 PM
    What I hate about bbm is that I can't save all the messages, old ones get replaced by new once. Well that's the case on my bb9700

On whatsapp, everything is saved. All the messages are there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    01-07-13 12:55 PM
    As someone who has kids, I like Kik because it runs on their iPods. I really have trouble understanding why WhatsApp doesn't have a version for iPods.

I hope that BBM is integrated, so that if a contact has a blackberry, you automatically BBM them instead of sms. This is how iMessage works on iOS. Maybe with their messaging hub this will be a moot point.

I really hope BBM will work over WiFi. When I am travelling, I sometime shut of cel service, and only get network connectivity on WiFi. Unfortunately this doesn't work well with existing BB's, as you can't get email, BBM over wi-fi. Hopfeully BB10 changes this.

~S

Yes you can, BBM has always worked over wifi, emails and everything else works over wifi if you turn signal off, I'm not sure where you got that from.
    01-07-13 02:49 PM
    I have always used good ol sms. I don't see the benefits in these cross platform whatsapp type things. With sms I know my messages will be delivered without having to worry about any delays or hiccups a third party app might have.
    seriously,,, wth??? a good ol' text gets the job done every time,,, no need for 97 message apps...
    01-07-13 02:56 PM
    seriously,,, wth??? a good ol' text gets the job done every time,,, no need for 97 message apps...
    Then don't use them if you don't want them.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-07-13 05:32 PM
    Instant messaging apps like BBM and WhatsApp are good if you have a group of people that doesn't change often and everyone uses it.

For me, I hardly use BBM since I don't know many BB users and the few I do don't BBM, we just text. I meet new people all the time and just get their phone number. Actual phone conversation is primary and crucial in my field of work - sms is supplementary. It's just more universal and convenient than having to get another PIN/number/username and making sure everyone else downloads and uses the same messenger.

SMS comes on EVERY phone pre-installed and doesn't need any other info than the phone number.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-07-13 06:03 PM
87 1234