I don't get all the "hoopla" around Whatsapp.

In order to text someone normally, you need their phone number.

In order to message someone through Whatsapp, you need their phone number.

Now, before you bring up text allowance vs. data. Let me just say that: In 2013, if you are be restricted to less than 250 texts messages with your plan, you are getting hosed!
    EsJayDee and TomJasper like this.
    01-06-13 01:23 AM
    This topic is NOT about whether SMS is better than WhatsApp. We all know those arguments and frankly we dont care. We want WhatsApp PERIOD. Now what about other methods of cross platform messaging?
    01-06-13 05:42 AM
    on a global scale, whatsapp is definitely the one app that is more important than skype/netflix.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    WakyEggs likes this.
    01-06-13 07:41 AM
    nobody uses SMS anymore

1 sms is like 20cents... do you even know how quickly that would add up? and because of WhatsApp nobody cares about sms-flats anymore... so WhatsApp definitely is a must-have for me... hope it'll be available soon after launch

but yea.. lets all be delusional, whatsapp doesn't matter.. let's all go back to SMS!
    and all these bugs people speak of... like "messages aren't going through" - weird... i'm not having any of those problems with WhatsApp on my 9700

oh and then there's the good old "security issues" - love that one!
    i really love blackberry, and i can't wait for bb10 (so excited!), but i really need WhatsApp and i don't know of any alternative, because everyone uses WhatsApp over here
    who is nobody? you? Is this like one of your 'World Series' thingys?
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-06-13 09:47 AM
    This topic is NOT about whether SMS is better than WhatsApp. We all know those arguments and frankly we dont care. We want WhatsApp PERIOD. Now what about other methods of cross platform messaging?
    and you shouting, pouting and stomping your feet like a petulant child will get you what you want? sure...how old are you? Five?
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-06-13 09:56 AM
    you're trying way too hard : /
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-06-13 10:05 AM
    It cracks me up that people talk about BBM like it is a godsend, but state they don't understand the attraction to others trying to replicate it, and across platforms nonetheless. I hope BB10 ends up with KIK or whatsapp or others on it. I want to be able to have good group messaging across multiple platforms. It would great if RIM would just put BBM on all platforms.
    01-06-13 10:05 AM
    I miss BBM. That is all.
    01-06-13 10:44 AM
    I love the anti-WhatsApp and anti-Instagram arguments.....so funny how the unavailability of choice is a moral high ground....

If a person doesn't want them, it is not forced upon that person....if a person wants them, it should be available....

Simple.
    Options.
    Choices.

The spice of life.
    01-06-13 10:54 AM
    I love the anti-WhatsApp and anti-Instagram arguments.....so funny how the unavailability of choice is a moral high ground....

If a person doesn't want them, it is not forced upon that person....if a person wants them, it should be available....

Simple.
    Options.
    Choices.

The spice of life.
    Well put. To each his own, as they say.
    01-06-13 11:09 AM

Simple.
    Options.
    Choices.

The spice of life.
    This ^^

When you want to be considered the equal or better of Android and iOS - you better have everything they have, and more The OS you choose is a matter of personal choice, what works better for you, but folks have proven they will ignore better OS if that OS doesn't do what they need it to do.

Whenever the question is asked, "Does BB10..." the answer has to be yes, because in most every case, when it's asked about the other two, the answer is yes.
    CairnsRock and GreenCopperz like this.
    01-06-13 11:16 AM
    This ^^

When you want to be considered the equal or better of Android and iOS - you better have everything they have, and more The OS you choose is a matter of personal choice, what works better for you, but folks have proven they will ignore better OS if that OS doesn't do what they need it to do.

Whenever the question is asked, "Does BB10..." the answer has to be yes, because in most every case, when it's asked about the other two, the answer is yes.

Why and HOW can this POSSIBLY be argued against?!?!?!? It is imperative for the "new RIM" to fully compete. Otherwise, it's the old RIM....deja vu.....aaaaaaaall over again.....
    01-06-13 11:27 AM
    I think a lot of folks here forget this is a WORLDWIDE forum and we are literally all over the globe. It always troubles me when someone attacks another poster because what may work for one doesn't always work for the other because of cost or carrier options. Sorry to be off topic but I really dislike that.
    lanemaster12 likes this.
    01-06-13 11:40 AM
    This ^^

Agreed +. This is where the whole loyalty thing really is silly. If the dang thing doesn't do what you need. Buy what does. I do.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    01-06-13 12:20 PM
    I never understood the reasoning of those who love BBM and proclaim superior to SMS, yet fail to see the point or need for Whatsapp.
    Rickroller and BBMak like this.
    01-06-13 12:38 PM
    Agreed +. This is where the whole loyalty thing really is silly. If the dang thing doesn't do what you need. Buy what does. I do.
    Oh I love the loyalty thing.

My loyalty is given to people I love and principles and ideas that define me.

A piece of plastic with some glass and a bit of wiring is not something I am loyal to. It works for me. If it doesn't then I move onto something else. I owe RIM nothing. I am not indebted to RIM in any way. If BB doesn't work for me, I use something else.
    CairnsRock, snaqvi91 and EsJayDee like this.
    01-06-13 12:41 PM
    Good question OP. So far the question is better than the answers. I'm not being cynical, just observant.
    Op likes your post, you like OP post, I like all posts.
    01-06-13 12:47 PM

As for your question I wouldn't be surprised if Whatsapp is available at launch as per Saunders tweet mentioning they have people working on getting it at launch. If not, then I have no idea for the general public. In my case I will sideload it
    Seems to me a reasonable proposition. This whatsapp debate has been hashed around in numerous threads,as far as I can tell the answers are going as far as they can(Saunders tweet) and few days before launch won't change what we know to date. I suppose Jan 30 2013 those holding out for whatsapp will make their decesion, based on one app?? My opinion is that whatsapp with or without BB10 will not be a plus/minus situation.
    01-06-13 01:01 PM
    I never understood the reasoning of those who love BBM and proclaim superior to SMS, yet fail to see the point or need for Whatsapp.
    While I can understand your personal enthusiasm for whatsapp, I can also understand different people have different needs/wants from their phones, a divergence is not always needed.
    01-06-13 01:06 PM
    Whatsapp will be available on launch, but as a sideloadable Android app. Whatsapp (android) works fine on the Dev Alpha & Playbook
    01-06-13 01:42 PM
    If they are not on BB 10 - then they can just phone me...
    #BB10Believe
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    01-06-13 02:01 PM
    and you shouting, pouting and stomping your feet like a petulant child will get you what you want? sure...how old are you? Five?
    Stop trolling. The OP asked a SIMPLE question...he wants to know what other cross-platform messaging options are available to him to communicate with his buddies on iOS and Android (let's face it, those platforms are totally dominating the smartphone landscape at the moment so he probably has lots of friends using those platforms)

He specifically mentioned he wanted a messaging option apart from SMS.

So...Unless you and your cohorts here have severe difficulties comprehending written English, what's the logic behind the stream of responses either deriding WhatsApp or recommending SMS (an option the OP has stated he's aware of and doesn't want to use)?

Before you go off on a tangent, please re-read the OP and work at providing an answer for him if you must respond. Snaqvi91 has a right to be peeved....I read the first few responses and I had to wonder what the heck was going on.
    Jean-luc_Picard likes this.
    01-06-13 03:08 PM
    Using SMS is fine as long as you have a signal. However there is no signal where I live so messaging is via wifi using a mixture of BBM and Whatsapp. So keeping my fingers crossed that Whatsapp will be available on BB10 sooner rather than later.
    01-06-13 03:11 PM
    Seems to me a reasonable proposition. This whatsapp debate has been hashed around in numerous threads,as far as I can tell the answers are going as far as they can(Saunders tweet) and few days before launch won't change what we know to date. I suppose Jan 30 2013 those holding out for whatsapp will make their decesion, based on one app?? My opinion is that whatsapp with or without BB10 will not be a plus/minus situation.
    There's a post someone made once on WPcentral, how he showed off the new Windows Phone 8 to 2 young ladies in a carrier shop and they loved it...they loved the UI, the slickness etc etc. They were well on their way to making purchases when one asked him about Instagram. He told her there was none on the platform. That was the end of their interest in the phone.

Just one story, but everyone has different tastes and one or two special apps that they feel they can't do without. That is how it is.
    01-06-13 03:17 PM
    I have never been able to understand the allure of apps like Whatsapp, LiveProfile or PingMe. SMS works fine for those who don't have a Blackberry and don't use BBM. Considering that you can send 7 - 160 character messages at once through the SMS of your Blackberry, the other apps seem pointless.
    Have you ever used Whatsapp? I'm guessing not, or you would know the difference between it and SMS. Being able to group chat, send pics and videos flawlessly (unlike MMS), as well as voice notes makes it FAR superior to a simple text where you're constrained to character limits. Aside from Read receipts, it's pretty much exactly like BBM, except better, because it's cross platform.
    01-06-13 03:19 PM
87 1234