So obviously BBM will make BlackBerry to BlackBerry messaging perfect, SMS will make messaging with regular phones decent. But what about messaging iPhone and Android users? How will that work now that WhatsApp wont be there (at least not right away) and assuming someone does not want to text iPhone/Android users? I don't see Kik or Hookt showing up either, nor Google+ Messenger. Any ideas?
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-05-13 07:38 AM
    I have always used good ol sms. I don't see the benefits in these cross platform whatsapp type things. With sms I know my messages will be delivered without having to worry about any delays or hiccups a third party app might have.
    01-05-13 09:46 AM
    I don't really like whatsapp, I'm not a fan of its layout/notifications. I just SMS/MMS iPhones/Androids. Works just fine for me
    TomJasper likes this.
    01-05-13 09:48 AM
    I have never been able to understand the allure of apps like Whatsapp, LiveProfile or PingMe. SMS works fine for those who don't have a Blackberry and don't use BBM. Considering that you can send 7 - 160 character messages at once through the SMS of your Blackberry, the other apps seem pointless.
    01-05-13 11:23 AM
    Sideloaded whatsapp on my Playbook once, only reason it didn't work was down to the sms authorisation at setup.
    There is eBuddyXMS, if you really must have an app to message other platforms.
    Else sms is dying and thus becoming cheaper anyway and yes I agree it's mostly reliable.
    01-05-13 11:28 AM
    nobody uses SMS anymore

1 sms is like 20cents... do you even know how quickly that would add up? and because of WhatsApp nobody cares about sms-flats anymore... so WhatsApp definitely is a must-have for me... hope it'll be available soon after launch

but yea.. lets all be delusional, whatsapp doesn't matter.. let's all go back to SMS!
    and all these bugs people speak of... like "messages aren't going through" - weird... i'm not having any of those problems with WhatsApp on my 9700

oh and then there's the good old "security issues" - love that one!
    i really love blackberry, and i can't wait for bb10 (so excited!), but i really need WhatsApp and i don't know of any alternative, because everyone uses WhatsApp over here
    01-05-13 11:33 AM
    nobody uses SMS anymore

1 sms is like 20cents... do you even know how quickly that would add up? and because of WhatsApp nobody cares about sms-flats anymore...
    ...but i really need WhatsApp and i don't know of any alternative, because everyone uses WhatsApp over here
    I think we may be looking at some regional differences in this post.
    You're in Germany, where SMS is apparently dying off, taken over by WhatsApp, etc. Here in Canada, my circle of acquaintances use BBM where applicable; iMessage for the iPhone users. Cross-platform is mainly SMS. Almost every smartphone and phone plan here has unlimited SMS/MMS. My daughter, for instance, runs at 5,000+ SMS/MMS per month. Getting a circle of friends & family to all use the same cross-platform messenger is quite a chore. Some don't like the fact that the cross-platform apps use their precious allotment of monthly data.

Isn't diversity great? Like you, I'm looking forward to BB 10 just like Christmas. I know I'll be getting new stuff and I'm dying to find out (for sure) what that stuff will be!

Cheers. ~ecm
    peteygrizz and TomJasper like this.
    01-05-13 11:58 AM
    nobody uses SMS anymore
    hmmmm, interesting
    01-05-13 12:00 PM
    I didn't know that sms is that expensive in Germany. In the Netherlands we pay arround 4 cent per sms.
    01-05-13 12:15 PM
    I have unlimited SMS ...soo yeah it makes my life easier.
    01-05-13 12:24 PM
    Good question OP. So far the question is better than the answers. I'm not being cynical, just observant.
    snaqvi91 likes this.
    01-05-13 12:39 PM
    My question would be if BlackBerry 10 supports proper MMS group texting, unlike BlackBerry 7 (at least for all carriers). I have an AT&T Lumia for work and have been using that as my primary phone because my T-Mobile 9900 does not seem to support this functionality. So frustrating!
    01-05-13 01:09 PM
    Using SMS or not is a regional thing. I used to live in Canada and never had to use Whatsapp, only BBM and SMS. Moved over to the Middle East a couple of years ago and SMS is almost unheard of here and now I (unfortunately) have to use Whatsapp religiously.

As for your question I wouldn't be surprised if Whatsapp is available at launch as per Saunders tweet mentioning they have people working on getting it at launch. If not, then I have no idea for the general public. In my case I will sideload it
    01-05-13 01:11 PM
    I'll probably sideload the Android version of Whatsapp for now.

If I could use BBM with everybody I would, but since not everyone I know is on a BlackBerry, the next closest thing functionality wise that most of them have is Whatsapp.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-05-13 01:25 PM
    Yah try texting people in another country and see your SMS bill and the other person's SMS bill shoot up. Then you'll remember how cheap WhatsApp is in comparison.

I guess sideloading will be the only way out. I've heard sideloaded apps don't perform that well. What do you think? Any delays or problems in the messages? Any comments?

I hope Google+ Messenger is available at launch too because a lot of Android users use that. RIM has traditionally made decent Windows Live Messenger, Google Talk etc apps so I'm hoping they continue with that.
    01-05-13 02:12 PM
    Using SMS or not is a regional thing. I used to live in Canada and never had to use Whatsapp, only BBM and SMS. Moved over to the Middle East a couple of years ago and SMS is almost unheard of here and now I (unfortunately) have to use Whatsapp religiously.

As for your question I wouldn't be surprised if Whatsapp is available at launch as per Saunders tweet mentioning they have people working on getting it at launch. If not, then I have no idea for the general public. In my case I will sideload it
    yh, tech savies, or crackberry people will sideload it as they will know how... but not every average joe will know how to do this, or even bother searching the internet or forums to learn that sideloading is possible, and so not having whatsapp on blackberry 10 will be a big problem..... besides, apart from crackberry forums app on the playbook im using right now, I prfer native applications... I find that android apps I have used are not as snappy as native apps and can lag.... I don't kno what the difference is withthis crackberry forums app.. it actually runs faster and smoother than native apps!! lool
    CairnsRock and snaqvi91 like this.
    01-05-13 02:26 PM
    I just never feel I get the same flow of conversation with SMS, I say a lot of things in one message because I feel it's a waste (although I think I have unlimited SMS...), whereas on whatsapp, BBM etc. I will say one thing, send message, say the other thing I wanted to say, send message. Feels less like you're attacking them with a wall of words and more like how you'd express things in a normal conversation

e.g. "hey how are you? i've been thinking we should meet up as it's been a while since we saw each other"
    vs
    "hey"
    "how are you?"
    "I've been thinking we should meet up as it's been a while since we've we saw each other"

Maybe that's just me though...
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    01-05-13 05:13 PM
    I have never been able to understand the allure of apps like Whatsapp, LiveProfile or PingMe. SMS works fine for those who don't have a Blackberry and don't use BBM. Considering that you can send 7 - 160 character messages at once through the SMS of your Blackberry, the other apps seem pointless.
    The allure is the added functionality that the app provides...things like group chats for example. In all honestly, nothing beats BBM's functionality when it comes to messaging apps. Whatsapp is the most prevalent cross platform app, and its only real advantage over sms is delivery confirmation and groups. But you cant have lists within groups, or all the extra stuff bbm groups allow you to do.

But as a purely sms vs other msging apps conversation, its the added functionality that makes people use/prefer them over regular sms
    01-05-13 05:37 PM
    nobody uses SMS anymore
    True if can't afford a few bucks a month for a decent SMS plan. That might set you back what... 3 cups of coffee over the course of a month?
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-05-13 05:41 PM
    Many of the "people who do" RIM courts with BlackBerry have international contacts, suppliers, customers, in various and sundry time zones around the world. My AT&T plan used to only give me 500 sms messages, USA only. Now I get unlimited text in a shared data plan, but again that's limited to USA. Every text I send out of the country costs .20 and as already been said that would add up very quickly if I had only SMS as a choice.

A cross platform messaging appliciation is a must. I thought I read in another post that Google Talk was confirmed for BB10, would not be my first choice but it is a choice I suppose. From the numbers I saw in the facebook posts tonight perhaps FB messenger might be a choice, especially if they get a voice component.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-05-13 07:44 PM
    True if can't afford a few bucks a month for a decent SMS plan. That might set you back what... 3 cups of coffee over the course of a month?
    i don't have these problems, i'd use SMS if everyone else still used it - why the fk would i care about a few bucks? (even though without a flat that would really add up quickly, sms 20cent)

i have tons of friends in my adress book... i'd say 95% of them use WhatsApp, my friends don't use SMS anymore.. they rely on WhatsApp so they have no need for SMS... so they obviously don't care about SMS-flats
    and therefore i don't care as well... what do you want me to do? tell ALL OF THEM to just go back to using SMS and get a flat just because BB10 doesn't have WhatsApp?
    yea... that'd work out really well!! ----- WhatsApp works for them... and we should have a native app on BB10 as well, it's the new SMS

or i'll just try ranting about all these security issues with WhatsApp and all of these bugs
    01-05-13 08:03 PM
    SMS will always be there.
    Despite the advancements on cross platform messengers, there are too many for people to agree on 1.
    jesse_h and EsJayDee like this.
    01-05-13 09:28 PM
    I tried whatsapp, and I really didn't like it, just uninstalled it today actually. I'm sure whatsapp will come out on bb10 eventually, but in the meantime sms will be fine.
    01-05-13 09:54 PM
    I just never feel I get the same flow of conversation with SMS, I say a lot of things in one message because I feel it's a waste (although I think I have unlimited SMS...), whereas on whatsapp, BBM etc. I will say one thing, send message, say the other thing I wanted to say, send message. Feels less like you're attacking them with a wall of words and more like how you'd express things in a normal conversation

e.g. "hey how are you? i've been thinking we should meet up as it's been a while since we saw each other"
    vs
    "hey"
    "how are you?"
    "I've been thinking we should meet up as it's been a while since we've we saw each other"

Maybe that's just me though...
    This. Sms is so 2000 and late

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    01-06-13 12:47 AM
    I get 100 sms per day free, from my carrier... So unless I want to send a video file or whatever... I don't use what'sapp

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 01:15 AM
87 123 ...