Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Thomas Freedom's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Some BB10 questions

    Hello,

    I have a few questions about BB10.

    I've read that you no longer need a BB-plan, but you still need a data plan. Does this mean you NEED 3g connection? Nothing works over Wifi?

    I don't know anyone who has a Blackberry so I don't think I will be using BBM, but is it possible to browse the internet, receive and send e-mails, use the App-store and download apps etc... via WiFi? Do the free apps require an internet connection?

    Since I have a simple pre-paid SIM card this is an important question for me.

    So... Which things require a data plan (3g connectivity) and which things work via WiFi?

    One last question... Does anyone now if there will be themes on BB10 (like on Symbian where the whole UI changes: different icons etc)?

    Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm completely new to Blackberry. My previous smartphones where a HTC Desire HD (Android), Nokia N8 (Symbian) and now I have a Nokia 808 PureView (Symbian). But I'm tired of those boring all-touch slabs and have completely fallen in love with the BB Q10.

    Thank you!

    PS: I'm from Belgium, sorry if my English isn't perfect...
  2. Thomas Freedom's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

    Default

    Ow yeah, one last question.

    Does the screen turn on when you receive a text message (SMS)?
  3. Elite1's Avatar


    Posts
    12,918 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,059 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B
    #3  

    Default

    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    Please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to help you.

    Second, your English is great!

    I'll try to tackle some of your questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Freedom View Post
    I've read that you no longer need a BB-plan, but you still need a data plan. Does this mean you NEED 3g connection? Nothing works over Wifi?
    No quite the opposite. Everything works over Wi-Fi.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Freedom View Post
    I don't know anyone who has a Blackberry so I don't think I will be using BBM, but is it possible to browse the internet, receive and send e-mails, use the App-store and download apps etc... via WiFi? Do the free apps require an internet connection?

    Since I have a simple pre-paid SIM card this is an important question for me.

    So... Which things require a data plan (3g connectivity) and which things work via WiFi?
    I'm not aware of any services only working with a data connection. It's all new, so maybe there is something that I haven't realized or read about yet.

    BlackBerry World should work just fine over Wi-Fi. In fact any large apps must be downloaded over Wi-Fi. Likewise, your email and browser will too.
    There may be apps that require a data connection for some functions, but as a general rule all your apps that need data will work over Wi-Fi service.

    The only possibility that exists is that your carrier requires a data plan, and somehow blocks features without one. You'll really have to call them to be certain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Freedom View Post
    One last question... Does anyone now if there will be themes on BB10 (like on Symbian where the whole UI changes: different icons etc)?
    Unknown at this time. In the somewhat near future, BB will unlock the ability for apps to run in the background with BB10. This might open up the possibility of "skinning" the icons and other theme-related features.

    I believe I noticed an app by developer SCrApps in BB World that skinned a lot of the menus & title bars into different colours. Just remember that for the time being that such apps must be manually opened and left open for them to function.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Freedom View Post
    Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm completely new to Blackberry. My previous smartphones where a HTC Desire HD (Android), Nokia N8 (Symbian) and now I have a Nokia 808 PureView (Symbian). But I'm tired of those boring all-touch slabs and have completely fallen in love with the BB Q10.
    The Q10 looks like it will be fantastic. Plus its battery life should be outstanding. I'm sure you'll love it!
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

    Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

    Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
  4. Elite1's Avatar


    Posts
    12,918 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,059 Global Posts
    PIN
    C0001F61B
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Freedom View Post
    Ow yeah, one last question.

    Does the screen turn on when you receive a text message (SMS)?
    No, not currently. The LED flashes and there is a tone or vibration, depending on your settings.

    At present, only a phone call will wake up the black screen.
    Saving the world, one OS at a time...

    Follow Me On Twitter: @elite1_
    How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock for newer OS for Bold 99xx/97xx/9650, Torch 98xx, Tour 9630, Storm2, Curve 93xx/8900

    Curve 8330Tour 9630Bold 9700Torch 9800Bold 9900Z10
    Z30
    psst... Here's THANKS button
  5. Thomas Freedom's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default

    Thank you so much for all the answers! I'm loving the Q10 more and more :-)

    I'll update my profile tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. Intro, and some n00b questions.
    By Taco in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 04:53 PM
  2. Some Verizon Questions
    By chairguru22 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 09:29 AM
  3. hey, probably some newb questions
    By IronCurtain in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM
  4. Some GPS Questions.
    By K-Rock-XP in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xx
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 10:19 PM
  5. 8800 vs 8830 and some general questions
    By MgNoMin in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 10:33 AM

Posting Permissions