I'm not too familiar with BES, BIS, and all of that, but will the average consumer who is not connected to a corporation be able to use Balance?
    01-05-13 09:53 PM
    January 30th. Any information you hear before that is rumor and speculation.
    nquyen likes this.
    01-05-13 09:56 PM
    January 30th. Any information you hear before that is rumor and speculation.
    Not really, it's not as if BlackBerry Balance is new.

BlackBerry Balance Technology Separates Personal from Business Information - Canada

The question of "average users" really has no meaning. What exactly do you mean? Why would an "average user" even need BlackBerry Balance?
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-05-13 09:58 PM
    Not really, it's not as if BlackBerry Balance is new.

BlackBerry Balance Technology Separates Personal from Business Information - Canada

The question of "average users" really has no meaning. What exactly do you mean? Why would an "average user" even need BlackBerry Balance?
    So I'm still confused, is it just for enterprise users?
    01-05-13 10:01 PM
    Oh, woops, never mind what I said then.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-05-13 10:01 PM
    So I'm still confused, is it just for enterprise users?
    Yes.. BYOD/Enterprise. Honestly, I have no idea how a "consumer" could even think it was meant for them. What would an individual user be doing on their device that they would need such a thing? I could see it if maybe it was only like a "Profile" sort of thing, where at the end of the day you flip off your business profile and switch to a home profile but that's not even what BlackBerry Balance is all about.

Balance isn't only like a profile thing where you switch off your gangnam style ringtone to a generic business ringtone and swap out your sexy wife wallpaper for a more business appropriate one. It's a powerful security implementation meant to separate the corporate infrastructure from your personal life outside of business. - Balancing Work and Personal Life with BlackBerry 10: The Guide for Business Professionals and IT Administrators �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    01-05-13 10:04 PM
    Yes.. BYOD/Enterprise. Honestly, I have no idea how a "consumer" could even think it was meant for them. What would an individual user be doing on their device that they would need such a thing? I could see it if maybe it was only like a "Profile" sort of thing, where at the end of the day you flip off your business profile and switch to a home profile but that's not even what BlackBerry Balance is all about.

Balance isn't only like a profile thing where you switch off your gangnam style ringtone to a generic business ringtone and swap out your sexy wife wallpaper for a more business appropriate one. It's a powerful security implementation meant to separate the corporate infrastructure from your personal life outside of business. - Balancing Work and Personal Life with BlackBerry 10: The Guide for Business Professionals and IT Administrators �Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    Okay when you put it like that it actually does make a lot of sense, but it is slightly a bummer. I wish they would implement a WP8 type deal where they have the kid's corner or whatever it's called. But who knows, it may be in the works.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-05-13 10:23 PM
    Okay when you put it like that it actually does make a lot of sense, but it is slightly a bummer. I wish they would implement a WP8 type deal where they have the kid's corner or whatever it's called. But who knows, it may be in the works.
    I think you have "balance" confused with "dual mode" ,if there even is such a thing. There are quite a few threads on it where others thought the same thing. Some thought if it has balance then one can switch modes (dual) even though they are not hooked up to a business/corporate server for "work" mode. The phone is "balance" capable, a rather powerful feature when it's capability is needed.
    01-05-13 10:54 PM
    My company is not bring your own devices but you can get your email on your personal phone. So when I put my company email on my Playbook BlackBerry balance popped right on.
    BergerKing likes this.
    01-05-13 11:00 PM
    Don't think balance will be available unless the device is activated on BES
    01-05-13 11:46 PM

It's not, but it would be great if it could be used in this manner.
    01-06-13 12:22 AM
    It's not, but it would be great if it could be used in this manner.
    Maybe we will see them expand in this sort of area later, but it is a different feature even if it does seem superficially similar to Balance.
    01-06-13 08:43 AM

I know a few people who have two or three phones one for each of their girlfriends. Blackberry balance for your family and one for your girlfriend. I know a few people who would need such a feature.
    01-06-13 12:30 PM
    I know a few people who have two or three phones one for each of their girlfriends. Blackberry balance for your family and one for your girlfriend. I know a few people who would need such a feature.
    That's not a "need", but a "want". What they "need" is to be caught.
    01-06-13 06:02 PM
    That's not a "need", but a "want". What they "need" is to be caught.
    It could be a new slogan.
    What you do is your own business. Blackberry Balance. Keep your business separate.
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 01-07-13 at 12:07 AM.
    indie_b, borbella, nquyen and 2 others like this.
    01-06-13 08:27 PM
    Actually, those guys need BlackBook. Wonder if it's being ported to BB10?
    01-06-13 08:58 PM
    Having a locked down separate profile would be great. If I could lock down a public profile that doesn't need a password for things like camera, games, browser and perhaps a few emergency contacts with everything else under a separate password protected profile, that would be SWEET!!!!!
    kajenius, magutwit and Shane8750 like this.
    01-06-13 10:57 PM
    ha ha! Talk about cutting to the heart of the issue! (referring to the need of the guys with multiple girlfriends to not get caught)
    01-06-13 11:34 PM
    Having a locked down separate profile would be great. If I could lock down a public profile that doesn't need a password for things like camera, games, browser and perhaps a few emergency contacts with everything else under a separate password protected profile, that would be SWEET!!!!!
    What I don't get, though, is why you'd want only PART of the phone locked down, unless it's that you just don't want to have to unlock it all the time.

If there were something like a pattern lock available, would that work for you?
    01-06-13 11:50 PM
    camera isnt locked down via password. There is an icon on the lock screen to open your camera even when the device is password protected. Previous photos are unavailable, but you can snap quick photos right from there. You can also make an emergency call from the lock screen.
    01-07-13 06:21 AM
    @sith - I know that, and this is great
    @thunderbuck, ya - that's exactly what I'm thinking. This thought becomes more pertinent when you consider things like mobile payments, which I wouldn't want activated by pattern lock, but when someone asks to use my phone, wants to see it or play games ect, I would rather not have to worry about them looking at sensitive emails (virtually all my work emails are subject to PIPA or some level of confidentiality), or looking up contact information that is subject to my PIPA agreement. In my position, I am privileged to a lot of personal information of my friends and colleagues, and wouldn't want to be responsible for any of it being seen by anyone else.
    So, consider a contact book with locked contacts, where emails from said contacts are locked down - etc.; online banking and nfc payments; long distance and downloads locked (my dl's do currently require a password) and more...
    Perhaps it would not be useful for you, but I can't let anyone use my phone without having to look over their shoulder.
    01-07-13 09:24 AM
    gjonsto, I'm confused. It sounds like your phone WOULD be on a BES, unless it's for your own business?
    01-07-13 09:39 AM
    Balance would be cool if I could lock my part of the phone and have whatever I see fit available for my kids.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    nquyen and magutwit like this.
    01-07-13 10:05 AM
    Balance would also come in handy for us schizophrenics, I could stop fighting myselfs.
    gjohnsto likes this.
    01-07-13 10:18 AM
    gjonsto, I'm confused. It sounds like your phone WOULD be on a BES, unless it's for your own business?
    Lol... Wouldn't disagree for a second; but, what should be very often isn't what is.
    Moreover, the fact that people like me exist in a professional category only adds to the argument - and I would like the feature for various other personal reasons (like communications between me and the boys and communications with the lady friend... Lest they ever meet... Ughhhhh... Etc)
    01-07-13 10:35 AM
51 123