For me it's simple logic really.
    And if we see this in the final 10.3 it'll show people over there don't think things over too well...

- quick settings is much more frequently used than in app settings. And they are meant to be QUICK not just called quick
    - toggle between sound profiles, bt, wifi, airplane, alarm, bedtime, nfc etc - who doesn't use most of these on a d-a-i-l-y basis?
    - in-app settings - uhhh don't recall last time I needed to change them...

Agreed in order to be quick the quick settings need to be consistently accessible throughout the OS but 2 finger swipe is plain silly. At least just reverse it (2 for in-app settings)

Oh and all this when the majority of berries out there are in the form factor of the Q/9xxx/Z10...Going into a meeting now would require putting laptop case down on the floor to caress my Q with 2 fingers to go to silent...Tender...

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 02:32 AM
    I agree with you.

If quick access toggling from home screen or app trays needs to be 2 finger swiped, thats stupid.
    but it's okay if its within apps.

I'm just doing a second demotion here.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 02:45 AM
    I agree with you.

If quick access toggling from home screen or app trays needs to be 2 finger swiped, thats stupid.
    but it's okay if its within apps.

I'm just doing a second demotion here.

Posted via CB10
    Just to clarify, the two finger swipe down for quick settings is in-app. From the home screen, it still is one finger swipe down.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:00 AM
    Is that the case really, I never understood it that way from the scores of articles and posts in the past 24h...if so it's manageable I guess (because I hardly think they'll be showing something that's not final)

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:10 AM
    This is a good idea:
    I think it would be nice if you could continue moving one finger down and it would transition from settings within the app to quick settings. Ex. You slide from the top and app settings shows you can either stop there and click any of those settings or continue sliding your finger down and the app settings transitions away to reveal the quick settings.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:15 AM
    How come there's still no horizontall bezel-to-bezel gesture for some functionality?....

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 05:52 AM
    How come there's still no horizontall bezel-to-bezel gesture for some functionality?....
    Having come from the PlayBook, the app switching mechanism of horizontal swiping is something I really miss on my Zed10. Hoping that appears at some point.
    anon(556922) likes this.
    05-07-14 07:49 AM
    Yes, in-app is 2 fingers. Giving people more options I don't see as a problem. Normal quick settings are still there.
    05-07-14 07:54 AM
    To be perfectly honest, the current system requires you to swipe with a single finger twice. I think they want to keep it easy to get to in-app settings, so they opt for 2 finger swipe. In any case, this is a good start. The two finger swipe from up to bottom is not currently in use. Perhaps we'll see uses of more gestures in the future

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-07-14 08:00 AM
    I think they should have done 1 downward swipe for both settings. On right half of screen it does app and left half it does quick settings. Of course with an option to switch it for lefties . Seems more logical to me

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 08:17 AM
    Two finger swipe is required on Android to pull up quick settings. I don't see a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 08:20 AM
    I tend to agree with the op. I posted my thoughts on Michael's channel.

My personal preference is playbook gestures.

LH bottom corner for keyboard
    RH top corner for the quick settings
    Swipe away to close an app
    Horizontal swipe to switch apps

Some of the best gestures and all missing in BB10 or implemented differently.

Posted via CB10
    Icarus3000 and Vorkosigan like this.
    05-07-14 08:24 AM
    I also agree with the OP.

Furthermore, I think common setting values should be available to place in the quick menu. For instance : {silent; vibrate; normal; loud; 0%, 25%, ..., 100% brightness; etc}

I use silent, vibrate, and normal almost every day. It is super annoying to have to go into the menu and pull down the correct value. It is also a pain when I just want to toggle a value and I accidentally open the menu (like for BT)

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 11:48 AM
    The extra time it takes me to extend a second finger is really going to ruin my productivity.
    *rolls eyes*

You do realize that as of now, you have to minimize your current app to access these options. Meaning that the two finger swipe is considerably faster than the current system that literally no one has complained about.
    Rowan M likes this.
    05-07-14 01:36 PM
    The extra time it takes me to extend a second finger is really going to ruin my productivity.
    *rolls eyes*

You do realize that as of now, you have to minimize your current app to access these options. Meaning that the two finger swipe is considerably faster than the current system that literally no one has complained about.
    How can it be faster if you have to either put the phone down [on something] and use 2 fingers or hold it with your other hand?...it's common sense. And I don't say the current situation is optimal.

Also when you think about it's not very likely that you'd want to access the quick settings when you are typing (i.e. When you are using both hands). You most likely access quick settings on the go for profile changes, wifi toggle etc and that's when you do it with one hand. Quick=single handed operation for me

Posted via CB10
    crackbb10 likes this.
    05-07-14 02:47 PM
    How can it be faster if you have to either put the phone down [on something] and use 2 fingers or hold it with your other hand?...it's common sense. And I don't say the current situation is optimal.

Also when you think about it's not very likely that you'd want to access the quick settings when you are typing (i.e. When you are using both hands). You most likely access quick settings on the go for profile changes, wifi toggle etc and that's when you do it with one hand. Quick=single handed operation for me

Posted via CB10
    So it's not speed you're concerned about, it's effort.

The current system is one handed, I'll give you that, but it's multiple steps.
    The new way is one step.
    Rowan M likes this.
    05-07-14 03:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I see your point, but I also want to use the app with one hand and access it's menu.

I think the left/right pull down is great idea to allow both with one finger swipe down.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:30 PM
    My wife loves the 2 finger swipe.. no wait.. i think im talking about something else. never mind.
    05-07-14 03:31 PM
    BlackBerry should have made a single swipe down from the top of the screen bring the quick settings from anywhere in the OS. That is so much more logical. This is the fundamental issue with the gesture-based OS - inconsistent and unintuitive.

The app settings should always be in the overflow menu like it was in BBOS. Makes much more sense, remains consistent and intuitive for ex-BBOS users.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Peek?

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:44 PM
    2 fingers, why 2 fingers. Are they crazy. I always use my thumb.

I hope it isn't true because that sucks

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:47 PM
    2 fingers, why 2 fingers. Are they crazy. I always use my thumb.

I hope it isn't true because that sucks

Posted via CB10
    Just add one more thumb and you'll be able to perform the gesture.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:50 PM
    BlackBerry should have made a single swipe down from the top of the screen bring the quick settings from anywhere in the OS. That is so much more logical. This is the fundamental issue with the gesture-based OS - inconsistent and unintuitive.

The app settings should always be in the overflow menu like it was in BBOS. Makes much more sense, remains consistent and intuitive for ex-BBOS users.

Posted via CB10
    The UI design documentation for developers makes the reason application settings and help to not be on the action bar or overflow menu quite clear.

Making BB10 like BBOS with system, application and context entries on a single menu is not a very good idea. That menu system was OK on early devices with the track wheel, but had become increasingly out of place on a modern UI.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 03:55 PM
    I think the best of two worlds would be the small swipe down for the in-app menu as it is now. Extend the swipe down a little further and the Quick Settings come down on top.
    05-07-14 05:28 PM
    For me it's simple logic really.
    And if we see this in the final 10.3 it'll show people over there don't think things over too well...

- quick settings is much more frequently used than in app settings. And they are meant to be QUICK not just called quick
    - toggle between sound profiles, bt, wifi, airplane, alarm, bedtime, nfc etc - who doesn't use most of these on a d-a-i-l-y basis?
    - in-app settings - uhhh don't recall last time I needed to change them...

Agreed in order to be quick the quick settings need to be consistently accessible throughout the OS but 2 finger swipe is plain silly. At least just reverse it (2 for in-app settings)

Oh and all this when the majority of berries out there are in the form factor of the Q/9xxx/Z10...Going into a meeting now would require putting laptop case down on the floor to caress my Q with 2 fingers to go to silent...Tender...

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry I didn't read your whole post but are you actually saying that extending 1 extra finger to touch the screen with takes to much time?

First world problems.

Just my $0.02

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 06:08 PM
39 12