Damned, it happend several times, yet: I choose to send an SMS from the Hub, the SMS app opens, I select a receiver from the contacts - important: only by name, no numbers or further informations are displayed - I write the text and finally I press Send and now: what happens? The message is sent over the conventional telephone network instead of the cellular network. So it ends up on a landline telephone and not on the intended mobile phone.

RIM ... change this! This is unusable! Why is the conventional telephone network preferred? Why does this silly thing not ask me??? Again and again people are telling me they got some inapprehensible crap on the telephone ...
    11-17-14 07:16 AM
    Are you using a leak ? On my phone (Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3442), I start typing the name and can select to which number I want my SMS sent...
    11-17-14 08:07 AM
    Are you using a leak ? On my phone (Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3442),
    I use exactly this, no leak.
    I start typing the name and can select to which number I want my SMS sent...
    I never start typing. I take a contact from the contacts list. OK, next time I try this. Thanks for the idea.
    11-17-14 08:10 AM
    The Blackberry is a pretty dumb box .. needing to type the name in to be able to choose the right number Mmm!!
    Every other mobile I've ever had lets you select the contact immediately and choose the number if there's more than one.

This is just one example out of many why I've hated the Blackberry.
    Both daughters HAD to use a Blackberry for work and hated the darn thing too.
    Very limited number of apps .. eg no Wordfeud ... hidden ways to use GPS .. etc etc

I was real glad to get my Sony Experia Z3 Compact this week ... a REAL phone.
    01-12-15 01:24 PM
    Mine works absolutely fine.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 02:46 PM
    Mine works absolutely fine.

Posted via CB10
    Yep gatmyer, same here, it displays the name AND Number of who you want to send the sms to.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 03:34 PM
    The Blackberry is a pretty dumb box .. needing to type the name in to be able to choose the right number Mmm!!
    Every other mobile I've ever had lets you select the contact immediately and choose the number if there's more than one.

This is just one example out of many why I've hated the Blackberry.
    Both daughters HAD to use a Blackberry for work and hated the darn thing too.
    Very limited number of apps .. eg no Wordfeud ... hidden ways to use GPS .. etc etc

I was real glad to get my Sony Experia Z3 Compact this week ... a REAL phone.
    Any device is as smart or as dumb as its user.

I can choose from among the various phone numbers of the contact right on the sms compose screen.

Try a tap, it works.

CB10 @ Q5
    der_mit likes this.
    01-12-15 03:49 PM
    On Q10 OS 10.2.1.3442 here, if you compose from the HUB and you tap the '+' to the right of the 'To:' field, you obtain your list of contact. Contacts are not duplicated in case of multiple phone numbers. By selecting one contact, you don't know which phone number will be used.

Better to:
    - either start taping the number or the name in the 'To:' field and obtain a list with contact and associated phone number (with duplication in case of multiple cellphone)
    - either typing "sms" in the Universal search followed by the start of the name or the phone number to obtain the same list with a call-to-action.
    01-12-15 04:47 PM
    On Q10 OS 10.2.1.3442 here, if you compose from the HUB and you tap the '+' to the right of the 'To:' field, you obtain your list of contact. Contacts are not duplicated in case of multiple phone numbers. By selecting one contact, you don't know which phone number will be used.
    After ^^^ Tap the contact's name, all numbers are displayed in the drop down list.

CB10 @ Q5
    Joshu42 likes this.
    01-13-15 04:03 AM
    [b]Any device is as smart or as dumb as its user.
    No. Always (!) preferring the landline telephone number for sending text messages instead of using the receiver's mobile number is an absolute no-brainer, it's idiotic, especially doing this without any question. They let the user no chance at all to even recognize his problem - the receiver (!) tells him "Today there was some crap on my telephone, have you been this???" And to type the name instead of taking one from a list, just to be able to select one of his numbers, is also stupid. These are some of the issues around this absurd contacts app why I call it the unfinished work of an apprentice.

A workaround is: if you like to send SMS and your receivers have both mobile and conventional numbers, don't store these numbers in the same contact. Create different contacts.
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    01-13-15 04:40 AM
    Why is it a no brainer?
    My landline can receive sms, it displays it as it would on a mobile phone, so I for one like the option to choose which number to use,

Oh, and my options are displayed correctly, one contact card with a mobile tab and a home number tab, I select the right number to send the sms to.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by der_mit; 01-13-15 at 05:03 AM.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    01-13-15 04:51 AM
    Why is it a no brainer? My landline can receive sms, it displays it as it would on a mobile phone, so I for one like the option to choose which number to use,
    Here[TM] are landline SMS read out by a computer voice, something between man and woman (and parrot). You can receive this with a 50 year old dial plate telefone and hear it in the handset. If there's a word or abbreviation this "being" is not familiar with it starts to spell, but maybe in the middle of the spelled word it stops spelling and continues normal reading. This is always very funny and many people think I made a joke, they play it again and again and use it as a party gag next time. But indeed my 400$ device made a damned mistake! This is nothing else but ridiculous.

When I want to send a text message I want the designated receiver to receive my message as soon and as readable as possible. So it's a legitimate expectation that my mobile sends the message to his mobile, especially if both mobiles use the same carrier. In many cases I already know the receiver isn't at home, he's in holidays, he can't go to his telephone at home to listen funny spelled words. So, who needs this? I really don't know. There's absolutely no reason to prefer landline over mobile, especially not without any question. The landline numbers in my contacts are only fallbacks, the mobile numbers are always (!) the primary numbers.
    01-13-15 06:59 AM
    Never happened to me. I always have the option to choose what number to use for a contact.

could you attached a screenshot of your contact selection.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 08:43 AM
    SMS to landlines has already been covered.

Another case is in my household our home phone is a cell phone and capable of receiving and displaying text messages just fine. My wife and I both have cell phones that we carry with us as traditional mobiles. I know quite a few people in the same situation and would not want my phone to arbitrarily decide to send SMS to another number just because their number is labeled as home, work or anything else except mobile.
    01-13-15 10:04 AM
    I agree the current way BB handles SMS is messed up. The default SMS number used should be Mobile.
    01-13-15 12:16 PM
    If they are going to change it it should be the default to the last, or better, most used number for the contact. The first SMS to a contract default to mobile if there is one. I would be happy with that, but the way it is now works for me.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    01-13-15 04:02 PM