I just got my Q10 last Friday and restored a backup from my 9650 to my Q10 so that I have my old data including SMS messages. Everything seemed OK until the next day when I found a problem. It seemed that when I go into my hub, selected text messages, and tapped a conversation that a text message screen would open up with the contact name and profile pic on the top bar, a blank black area which would normally display the conversation thread, and the area below to enter a message. Tapping on the screen was unresponsive. If I tapped the back button and selected another person's thread, it would display the same screen for the first contact I originally tapped. In other words, it appeared that the text message app was frozen on the first screen I described above. Last week, someone posted a Youtube video showing them trying to access text messages and seeing the same behavior that I just described.

I spoke with Blackberrry support about this and we tried restoring just the text messages, restoring the contacts and text messages, as well as many other potential solutions including battery pulls.

I had noticed that during the time when the text message app was frozen, I was missing incoming text messages. So I decided to call Sprint support. Among other things, they tried resetting my account services to see if that was the issue. After each attempt, when the phone rebooted and the hub restarted, I was getting the same problem.

After much troubleshooting and talking with both BlackBerry as well as Sprint, I think I finally figured out what the problem was. Among the many reasons that I decided to stick with BlackBerry was the ability to move my old data (more than just contacts and calendar) from my old phone to my new phone. I like having my old SMS messages for reference. I have SMS messages for some contacts that came over from my 9650 which in turn included SMS messages brought over from my 8830. In other words, I've got some SMS conversations that span back 5 years or so. So I have thousands of messages that were imported onto my Q10.

After playing around some more, I found that sometimes they would show up and other times they wouldn't. The times that they would appear to freeze were right after a reboot or a hub restart.

What I finally figured out was that part of what happens when the hub restarts is that it reconstructs the conversation threads from the SMS data. I have my text messages set to show by contact containing the conversation within each contact (as opposed to individual messages listed in the hub). When the hub restarts, it needs to recreate this view of the messages. The rest of the contents of the hub are ready for use immediately when the hub restart finishes. It appears that the SMS indexing goes on behind the scenes even if the hub appears to be completely restarted.

I found that when I reboot my phone or restart the hub, if I tap on text messages within the hub very soon after the hub becomes available, I can recreate this problem consistently. If I wait around 15 minutes after the hub restarts, text messaging works fine.

Throughout this process, I decided that I like to have my old messages for reference, but I only go way back in them every once in a while. If you are experiencing this as well, I think there are only two solutions:

1) Make a backup of your text messages and keep it handy and then just delete old and very long conversations. If you need to refer back to old messages, backup your phone and then restore the old messages (making sure to wait the 15 minutes or so after hub restart to access them). Then when you're done, restore the messages from the backup you made just prior to doing this.

2) If you really need these messages handy on your device, simply be patient when trying to access them following a reboot or hub restart.

While these new phones are very fast and powerful, indexing thousands of messages to display in threaded conversation format is a very resource and time-consuming task. I'd like to see a modification to the hub not allowing you into text messages until the background indexing process is complete.

Having said all of this, it is conceivable that this is not the real root of the problem. But I've reproduced this a handful of times so far. If you're experiencing this problem, I hope this post helps.
    09-12-13 11:07 AM
    I experience this on my Z10, too. I don't think it's just when the hub is restarted bc, as I reported in a pervious thread, I see it nearly every time after I use endomondo on my phone for a longer run. When I get done with my run and close everything down and send a text, I see it. It's annoying. I think more folks on this forum are seeing it now since we've all had our devices for awhile now and are storing longer and longer sms threads.
    09-12-13 11:17 AM
    I just got my Q10 last Friday and restored a backup from my 9650 to my Q10 so that I have my old data including SMS messages. Everything seemed OK until the next day when I found a problem. It seemed that when I go into my hub, selected text messages, and tapped a conversation that a text message screen would open up with the contact name and profile pic on the top bar, a blank black area which would normally display the conversation thread, and the area below to enter a message. Tapping on the screen was unresponsive. If I tapped the back button and selected another person's thread, it would display the same screen for the first contact I originally tapped. In other words, it appeared that the text message app was frozen on the first screen I described above. Last week, someone posted a Youtube video showing them trying to access text messages and seeing the same behavior that I just described.

I spoke with Blackberrry support about this and we tried restoring just the text messages, restoring the contacts and text messages, as well as many other potential solutions including battery pulls.

I had noticed that during the time when the text message app was frozen, I was missing incoming text messages. So I decided to call Sprint support. Among other things, they tried resetting my account services to see if that was the issue. After each attempt, when the phone rebooted and the hub restarted, I was getting the same problem.

After much troubleshooting and talking with both BlackBerry as well as Sprint, I think I finally figured out what the problem was. Among the many reasons that I decided to stick with BlackBerry was the ability to move my old data (more than just contacts and calendar) from my old phone to my new phone. I like having my old SMS messages for reference. I have SMS messages for some contacts that came over from my 9650 which in turn included SMS messages brought over from my 8830. In other words, I've got some SMS conversations that span back 5 years or so. So I have thousands of messages that were imported onto my Q10.

After playing around some more, I found that sometimes they would show up and other times they wouldn't. The times that they would appear to freeze were right after a reboot or a hub restart.

What I finally figured out was that part of what happens when the hub restarts is that it reconstructs the conversation threads from the SMS data. I have my text messages set to show by contact containing the conversation within each contact (as opposed to individual messages listed in the hub). When the hub restarts, it needs to recreate this view of the messages. The rest of the contents of the hub are ready for use immediately when the hub restart finishes. It appears that the SMS indexing goes on behind the scenes even if the hub appears to be completely restarted.

I found that when I reboot my phone or restart the hub, if I tap on text messages within the hub very soon after the hub becomes available, I can recreate this problem consistently. If I wait around 15 minutes after the hub restarts, text messaging works fine.

Throughout this process, I decided that I like to have my old messages for reference, but I only go way back in them every once in a while. If you are experiencing this as well, I think there are only two solutions:

1) Make a backup of your text messages and keep it handy and then just delete old and very long conversations. If you need to refer back to old messages, backup your phone and then restore the old messages (making sure to wait the 15 minutes or so after hub restart to access them). Then when you're done, restore the messages from the backup you made just prior to doing this.

2) If you really need these messages handy on your device, simply be patient when trying to access them following a reboot or hub restart.

While these new phones are very fast and powerful, indexing thousands of messages to display in threaded conversation format is a very resource and time-consuming task. I'd like to see a modification to the hub not allowing you into text messages until the background indexing process is complete.

Having said all of this, it is conceivable that this is not the real root of the problem. But I've reproduced this a handful of times so far. If you're experiencing this problem, I hope this post helps.
    What OS version are you using?
    09-12-13 11:21 AM
    What OS version are you using?
    Q10SQN100-4/10.1.0.4828

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 11:26 AM
    I deleted a bunch of my long text threads yesterday and then I put it on my new Q10. Will report back tomorrow to see if I see the same symptoms. As I said in my comment a few posts up, I see it the most right after a long run using Endomondo. I will be doing my long run tomorrow morning and will look at my texts right after and report back. Now that my long threads are deleted, maybe it won't happen again.
    09-13-13 03:46 PM
    I deleted a bunch of my long text threads yesterday and then I put it on my new Q10. Will report back tomorrow to see if I see the same symptoms. As I said in my comment a few posts up, I see it the most right after a long run using Endomondo. I will be doing my long run tomorrow morning and will look at my texts right after and report back. Now that my long threads are deleted, maybe it won't happen again.
    Quick update. I didn't have the sms issue yesterday after I used endomondo. I think deleting some of my long text threads helped.

AT&T SQN100-1 10.2.0.1725
    09-15-13 05:16 PM
    I didn't read all of your post, but it sounds like you have the same problem I do with SMS freezing.

Like you, deleting long conversations seems to solve the problem.

Hope this is fixed in 10.2

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 08:27 PM