If BlackBerry still had plans to keep the platform why are they continuing to say nothing? the whole global industry knows about the Venice speculation rumours and they continue to choose to not say anything.

News about a lot of app developers has been grinding to a halt. There have been much fewer updates and hardly no new app arrivals. If bb10 really was a platform blackberry would work with a long time they're going about everything wrong.

Don't get me wrong I'm highly anticipating the arrival of the Venice, for me I can finally do a lot of the things I have been asking for and I still get to have the Hub but I am also very much interested to see if BB10 can be developed and one day be in a much stronger position to come back to it from Android.

Right now from a consumer point of view I wanna be on the Android platform with the BlackBerry Venice but from a business point of a view I wouldn't want my staff if I was in charge of a fleet to potentially have their productivity hindered because let's be honest, social media is the biggest time waster ever. It makes sense for businesses to have BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    JulesDB and Gray like this.
    08-29-15 08:04 PM
    That's why it's hard to reconcile this new 'speculation ' bout having a choice between downloading BB10 or Android when you buy the Slider. Only people who would download BB10 are the few dozen Crackberrians and here who can't seem to accept change & future.
    08-29-15 08:15 PM
    You are familiar with the promise of BB10 on PlayBook are you not? It is a huge mistake to make an announcement before you are prepared to deliver on it. Everyone expects Apple to announce the iPhone 6s on September 9th. They may even be right. What has Apple said about the 9th? Maybe BlackBerry has finally learned that lesson.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    08-29-15 09:32 PM
    That's why it's hard to reconcile this new 'speculation ' bout having a choice between downloading BB10 or Android when you buy the Slider. Only people who would download BB10 are the few dozen Crackberrians and here who can't seem to accept change & future.
    Few dozen, 30 million, same thing right?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:43 AM
    I think licence agreement between BlackBerry and Google is still remains pending. There must be some security issues which might not be accepted by Google. Although slider seems almost ready, BlackBerry still not confirming about the swishing to completely android paradigm.
    08-30-15 03:00 AM
    I think licence agreement between BlackBerry and Google is still remains pending. There must be some security issues which might not be accepted by Google. Although slider seems almost ready, BlackBerry still not confirming about the swishing to completely android paradigm.
    More straight than that - Google doesn't give a blanket licence, they license devices - so bbry can build an android device they just cannot release it without the sign- off from goggle. The sticking point will be the removals of the runtime from bb10 devices - my guess is old devices ok but unsupported but they are racing to remove it from the OS (which I am guessing is a bigger hassle than we think since development of BB10 has pretty much stopped).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-30-15 03:26 AM
    More straight than that - Google doesn't give a blanket licence, they license devices - so bbry can build an android device they just cannot release it without the sign- off from goggle. The sticking point will be the removals of the runtime from bb10 devices - my guess is old devices ok but unsupported but they are racing to remove it from the OS (which I am guessing is a bigger hassle than we think since development of BB10 has pretty much stopped).
    I'm not sure any of us know what terms Google would be willing to accept. In the end, I'm guessing Venice is running BB10 with Android running in a virtual machine. The VM Android, unlike the runtime, will feature Google Play Services, so Google can make some money from Play purchases and BlackBerry can close the "app gap." You'll be able to switch back and forth between the host OS and the guest OS easily, probably in the settings of both OSs. There may eventually be a "unity" mode.

At least that's my guess. It seems like a no-brainer for BlackBerry and Google. I just wonder if the licensing requires other members of the OHA to sign-off...

Posted via CB10
    dilijasi likes this.
    08-30-15 11:58 AM
    I'm not sure any of us know what terms Google would be willing to accept.
    We sort of do - from lawsuits to what they have publically said to the actual devices, it's very very consistent over a number of years. For example, google threaten to block samsung from releasing devices because the *location* information was going to be limited because they were using an alternative to google maps - so think about trying it at the OS rather than App level...

Its true that they could do a change but they were unwilling to do it over a minor issue for a juggernaut like Samsung, highly unlikely they would be it for a very minor player. They have only ever licensed devices that boot android and boot only android.

In the end, I'm guessing Venice is running BB10 with Android running in a virtual machine. The VM Android, unlike the runtime, will feature Google Play Services, so Google can make some money from Play purchases and BlackBerry can close the "app gap." You'll be able to switch back and forth between the host OS and the guest OS easily, probably in the settings of both OSs. There may eventually be a "unity" mode.
    Absolutely no chance at that - even the people running crackberry and N4bb laugh at that theory if you go and see what they say openly over at twitter. The nearest we ever came to that was a dual WP/Android device that was actually two devices bolted together - that google and Microsoft teamed up to kill.

The Venice looks like a duck and is a duck - every leak indicates that.
    08-30-15 12:04 PM
    So, BlackBerry is moving to put it's suites into three categories and release them as cross platform in the following Product Groups:

Productivity Suite
    BlackBerry Hub
    BlackBerry Calendar
    BlackBerry Contacts
    Documents to Go
    Input
    Universal Search

BlackBerry Communications Suite
    BBM
    Worklife for BlackBerry
    BBM Meetings
    BBM Protected
    World Class Global Support (?)
    SecuSUITE for BlackBerry

BlackBerry Security Suite
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service 12
    VPN Authentication
    Secure Work Spaces
    Enterprise Identity by BlackBerry
    BlackBerry Blend
    Password Keeper

I don't know how much these will cost to use, or which segment BlackBerry will allow to purchase them, but as I use my device primarily as a productivity device, I'd be very happy to see the work flow patterns on other devices.

If consumers using Apple or Android can get their native services into a Hub format (and their Facebook apps trounce the BB10 app), and even something like Tinder messaging can go into the Hub with email and the like, then this is the kind of thing that will bring people into buying BlackBerry software. They may not want a physical keyboard, and they may not want BB10, but they can have our workflow, their media and services, and a whole lot more.

When this comes to fruition, the Hub alone may drive BBM adoption across other platforms and a it's time BlackBerry freed itself from the shackles of the past and took this step. Able to sell a software suite for consumers and businesses and remove the hardware costs? Yes please.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 12:32 PM
    So, BlackBerry is moving to put it's suites into three categories and release them as cross platform in the following Product Groups:

Productivity Suite
    BlackBerry Hub
    BlackBerry Calendar
    BlackBerry Contacts
    Documents to Go
    Input
    Universal Search

BBM
    Worklife for BlackBerry
    BBM Meetings
    BBM Protected
    SecuSUITE for BlackBerry

VPN Authentication
    Secure Work Spaces
    BlackBerry Blend
    Password Keeper

I don't know how much these will cost to use, or which segment BlackBerry will allow to purchase them, but as I use my device primarily as a productivity device, I'd be very happy to see the work flow patterns on other devices.

If consumers using Apple or Android can get their native services into a Hub format (and their Facebook apps trounce the BB10 app), and even something like Tinder messaging can go into the Hub with email and the like, then this is the kind of thing that will bring people into buying BlackBerry software. They may not want a physical keyboard, and they may not want BB10, but they can have our workflow, their media and services, and a whole lot more.

When this comes to fruition, the Hub alone may drive BBM adoption across other platforms and a it's time BlackBerry freed itself from the shackles of the past and took this step. Able to sell a software suite for consumers and businesses and remove the hardware costs? Yes please.

Posted via CB10
    I'm disappointed that the BlackBerry browser did not make it to the productivity suite.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 02:06 PM
    I'm disappointed that the BlackBerry browser did not make it to the productivity suite.

Posted via CB10
    If the move to Android is finalized, there probably isn't much point in continuing with the browser when there are lots of options on Android already.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 02:34 PM
    Given that none of the leaks (to my knowledge) show BB10, I suspect we are looking at Android only, and maybe BB10 for enterprise only where warranted.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 02:35 PM
    I just can't see anyone legitimately consider a full android OS "secure". BlackBerry must have something in place at the root level, not just a fork with a bb10 themed launcher. OR they will allow for installation of either OS depending on weather the customer is actually concerned about security or not. This could allow them to market the device to consumers as android AND businesses/governments as an uncompromising secure device.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 02:49 PM
    They will not say anything yet because they have alway had an over inflated opinion of themselves. Sounds like a joke? No. true unfortunately. They deliver updates late (or never) and always consider it a privilege when they share information with the public.

So, as wise as they are, they will wait until the new iPhone, then wait till the new nexus and after every early adopter has purchased a device, they will then release a mediocre qwerty phone with android OS which will never receive an update.

No wonder they are so successful.....
    idhbar likes this.
    08-30-15 04:58 PM
    I just can't see anyone legitimately consider a full android OS "secure". BlackBerry must have something in place at the root level, not just a fork with a bb10 themed launcher. OR they will allow for installation of either OS depending on weather the customer is actually concerned about security or not. This could allow them to market the device to consumers as android AND businesses/governments as an uncompromising secure device.

Posted via CB10
    I'm thinking they'll have something similar to the SilentOS operating system used in the Blackphone (& upcoming BP2).
    08-30-15 05:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why would it?

Unremarkable interface on top of bog-standard Webkit.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Witmen like this.
    08-30-15 11:43 PM
    Not to get too far ahead of things, but:

Productivity Suite
    BlackBerry Hub
    BlackBerry Calendar
    BlackBerry Contacts
    Documents to Go
    Input
    Universal Search

BBM
    Worklife for BlackBerry
    BBM Meetings
    BBM Protected
    SecuSUITE for BlackBerry

VPN Authentication
    Secure Work Spaces
    BlackBerry Blend
    Password Keeper

All of these available potentially to iPads and Android and Windows tablets? Is this forum really just about loving physically keyboards to much and defending 10 out of weird blind faith, ignoring innovations BlackBerry may be driving elsewhere? I'd be stoked to have this suite set on my tablet. As BB10 is clearly never going to make it in tablet form, then Android ideas like Venice pave the way to it and as the video clearly points out, this is vendor agnostic and coming to all platforms.

We're still going to sit and moan that Passport is the best thing ever and the world doesn't get it, whilst the bigger picture is just so much more interesting and far more inclusive of the features we love on the platform.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 04:49 AM
    They will not say anything yet because they have alway had an over inflated opinion of themselves. Sounds like a joke? No. true unfortunately. They deliver updates late (or never) and always consider it a privilege when they share information with the public.

So, as wise as they are, they will wait until the new iPhone, then wait till the new nexus and after every early adopter has purchased a device, they will then release a mediocre qwerty phone with android OS which will never receive an update.

No wonder they are so successful.....
    So what your implying is that the slider will be mediocre? Android OS or not, if the specs are to believed this is easily the best device they've made and should be more than competitive hardware wise. OS obviously remains to be seen.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 07:26 AM
    BlackBerry 10 was probably the most well received OS out there, yet the least successful. BlackBerry really dropped the ball on that one, failing to promote it. If BlackBerry does go the Android route, I seriously hope it doesn't become BlackBerry Google. I'd rather have a BlackBerry Amazon/Windows Phone than Google. Hopefully we can keep the hub, browser and the BlackBerry 10 keyboard. Also true usb mass storage mode and a good file manager.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 01:11 PM
    The hub is coming to all platforms, as per previous posts in this thread

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 01:13 PM
    What better way to showcase their cross platform suites than putting out their own Android OS phone?

If they can sell millions of BlackBerry Suite apps to existing Android and IOS customers then a Android BlackBerry Venice is worth it.

Hopefully, they offer it with BB10 as well but if not I will be happy with a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 01:56 PM
    If the move to Android is finalized, there probably isn't much point in continuing with the browser when there are lots of options on Android already.

Posted via CB10
    True, I just find that I prefer the BB10 browser. Seems to be the quickest in my experience when compared to the other android browsers be it the stock ones or Mozilla/Chrome.

Posted via CB10
    fadi.alsaidi likes this.
    08-31-15 02:50 PM
    True, I just find that I prefer the BB10 browser. Seems to be the quickest in my experience when compared to the other android browsers be it the stock ones or Mozilla/Chrome.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. Since there isn't much we can do about it at least there is one browser that seems to be the closest to BB browser; it's called Yandex browser. It got a bottom address bar and a simple UI. The speed of Yandex is not as good as BB browser however it's about the same as chrome. Offcourse privacy and security is much better than Chrome.
    08-31-15 07:43 PM