For several years I spent a fair amount of time being a blackberry evangelist, but in the past few months I have not "kept up the faith." This isn't to say that I haven't defended my bb, or that I haven't discussed my enthusiasm for BB10 with my friends and family who are also blackberry fans, but for those who were upgrading or talking about other new devices, I would not interject or ask if they considered waiting for BB10 unless they broached the subject themselves. Moreover, how could I, in good faith, recommend BB7 to my friends and family over a nexus or SGIII? (Although I would never actively encourage the purchase of iphones) In fact, there are a few people who have put off upgrading I think, for as much as anything, because they would feel guilty around me if they upgraded elsewhere; almost as if they feel sorry for me as a bb fan.

Anyway, to this end, I am both excited and a little bit worried about the new os (as silly as this sounds). I have spent a lot of time defending a product that could easily go either way now, and have, in the past, convinced people to take the plunge with me. For the first 6 months of BB10, I will not speak up or out of turn, I will not actively evangelize the product. I will use it, and use it proudly, because I know that my friends with androids and iphones will notice (and know already) what my new phone will be, and when they ask to see it, I will let the device do the talking, and hopefully I will let the device bring them back.

I support BB10, and I do so with the sincere hope that BB10 will support me.

This is my hope about BB10, specs be damned.

Are you going to get a BB10? If so, can you relate? Any plans for showing it off?
    01-04-13 06:03 PM
    Everyone in my circles know me as "the BlackBerry guy." It hasn't been easy these past few years being a BlackBerry user. Fans and users of the other platforms have been getting the latest apps, software, attention, praise, and the latest tech in their devices. I've done my best in "keeping the faith" and have stood by BlackBerry whenever challenged. This past year has been even more difficult because the image that RIM is dying has become more and more prevalent. People always ask "well, BlackBerry is dying, right?" I always do my best to explain to them that RIM has a plan. Usually, when I mention BB10, it's the first time they've heard of it. Knowing that BB10 is coming, it is difficult to persuade those who are looking to buy a new device now to go with BB7 or wait until BB10 (if they're really adamant), so instead of pointing towards one platform or another, I simply advise anyone who asks me for advice to try everything available and to be educated on the latest devices before making a purchase. Chances are, during their research, they will come across BB10 on their own.

So, while it hasn't been easy, I've done my best to keep the faith. And, in a way, I'm proud of it. I'm proud that in the face of the naysayers, I held my ground and defended what I believed in instead of going with the crowd, sort of like RIM did when they decided to develop BB10. It will all be worth it when BB10 is unveiled at the end of the month. I do plan on getting an all-touch BB10 device on launch day and will let my device do the talking when challenged from then on.
    Cappyshirt, gjohnsto and Mel25 like this.
    01-04-13 07:50 PM
    I can relate to both stories, I try not to talk up BB10 to my friends, since their either android & ios and just rather wait till the unveling. They know me as the blackberry guy, but come Jan 30th, ima be the kid with the coolest hottest phone in the circle
    gjohnsto, jakie55 and robkd like this.
    01-04-13 09:27 PM
    The folks I work with that left BB, now complaining about their iPhones and/or Androids, do the talking for me. Everyone knows I'm waiting for my new BB unit and they are waiting to get a look. Very soon BB will speak for itself.
    robkd likes this.
    01-04-13 10:45 PM
    I have a dev alpha and have been bringing it with me for the past few months showing people BB10. Most people see it and can't believe it's a BlackBerry device.
    01-04-13 10:54 PM
    I've been waiting for Jan 30 just so I can defend blackberry and slam it into the faces of the "in the know" iOS and android people. Because now the only thing i can brag about is that my bb is a better communication device and that's just about it.
    01-04-13 11:59 PM
    I am known as the Blackberry guy too. A lot of my friends were blackberry users who all recently went to iPhone or Android and they keep trying to persuade me to switch. I just tell them come sometime after January 30th you will all regret your purchases and come back. Most of them already miss BBM, but don't miss the hourglass and other flaws and lack of apps that BB10 should address.
    01-05-13 02:27 AM
    i'm also known as a blackberry guy, all my friends that i've moved from bb, keep checking up with me for news about bb10, so usually evrytime theres anew video or picture leak i email it to them, once bb10 comes out i'll def be flaunting it in thier faces. and i have been converting most of those with low end android phones to bb7 phones , about 12 of them , all the while telling them that these are old phones they can start with so they get used to the brand while they wait with me for the BB10 phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-05-13 03:35 AM
    Blackberry is getting so oldddd and boringggg
    01-06-13 03:35 PM
    Had a buddy over last night. Hadn't seen him for a while, and he didn't know that I was starting to try to develop for BB10.

I showed him my Dev Alpha, and he was seriously impressed with the Scalado camera, the keyboard, and the overall navigation.
    robkd likes this.
    01-06-13 03:42 PM
    I assume the Imore forums are the same. Why else would a Iphad5 fan waste time posting in a BlackBerry forum? Now hit your home button and be gone.
    Dr.Deebs, illlya, robkd and 3 others like this.
    01-06-13 05:12 PM
    Dont you need to get ready for school tomorrow?
    01-06-13 08:52 PM
    I assume the Imore forums are the same. Why else would a Iphad5 fan waste time posting in a BlackBerry forum? Now hit your home button and be gone.
    You know it's sooooo sad when people have so little to do with their time that they make a obvious trolling profile name and in the same day they start posting, manage to get themselves banned. Yeah....If people feel the need to troll BB sites that hard, its my opinion that RIM is doing something right. They obviously have their attention
    Last edited by Rello; 01-07-13 at 02:13 AM.
    jakie55 and robkd like this.
    01-06-13 10:23 PM
    @OP....thats what I will do. Let the device speak for itself. If it ends up being as good as we all think...the device will do all the talking we need
    anon(4018671), DJM626 and gjohnsto like this.
    01-06-13 10:28 PM
    LOL... I chose to read this ironically
    01-06-13 10:49 PM
    For several years I spent a fair amount of time being a blackberry evangelist, but in the past few months I have not "kept up the faith." This isn't to say that I haven't defended my bb, or that I haven't discussed my enthusiasm for BB10 with my friends and family who are also blackberry fans, but for those who were upgrading or talking about other new devices, I would not interject or ask if they considered waiting for BB10 unless they broached the subject themselves.
    I was absolutely the same way. Defending my BB viciously, talking about how "things are gonna change, you just wait". This was around June/July 2012. Thor was was talking Q4...Q4...and I was saying "just wait for Q4....you'll see", then 4 hours later it was pushed back to Q1, 2013. That was kind of "it" for me. I caved.
    I've been rockin the Galaxy S3 since Aug. 1st, 2012. I absolutely love it. I really love everything about it.....except gmail. The gmail app SUX AZZ. I live my personal and business life around txt & email and absolutely HATE the email UI on my GS3.........
    So, this said......I am waiting for BB10. I want to go home. BB10, please brings me home.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-07-13 06:57 AM
    I've been on Android for quite a while now, and have never been crazy about the platform. Hope T-Mo gets the 10 and with wifi-calling. And, BTW, a LOT of people I talk to in passing are also waiting for the 10.
    01-07-13 09:23 AM
    i have a positive feeling that many people will be back to bb because even i (a blackberry diehard ) is not using a bb to date BUT im eagerly waiting fo BlackBerry10.
    01-07-13 12:13 PM
    i have a positive feeling that many people will be back to bb because even i (a blackberry diehard ) is not using a bb to date BUT im eagerly waiting fo BlackBerry10.
    ....... Same here...........
    01-07-13 12:23 PM
    I had a Blackberry Bold 9000, than Bold 9700, if i saw other Smartphones like The iPhone , The BB OS locks very Old. Than i switched to Android SG2 , a Good Phone but Not Perfect, very laggy and Update is a Big Problem.. Than i Switch to WP7.5 with Samsung Focus, it was Not Bad ( live tiles) but Not have Real Multitasking and The homescreen lock very Old ( The Color of tiles) , now i am with iPhone 5 , its also a very Good Phone but i Miss The Freedom like Android and The Live Tiles from WP.
    But now BB10 is coming, for me The Perfect OS, Seems really Fluid , Real multitasking, Modern Live Tiles( Active Frame) , Freedom ( Sd Card ,hdmi etc..) , you get Updates fast like Playbook. And The Most Thing i really Love is The Message HUb , really really cool.

Sorry for my english
    01-07-13 01:44 PM
    I've been surprised with the number of my friends that have heard of BB10. Some people that I never would have thought as "techy" people have mentionned it or asked me about it.

But I have not used other phones such as the Galaxy SIII, or the IP5, or WP8, enough to really tell people why I believe BB10 is the best mobile platform, simply because I don't want to say something and have them retort that their device has the exact same thing, making me seem totally dumb haha I prefer to wait until I have the device and then I will show it to whomever if they ask, and say what I like best about it, without directly comparing to other devices. Hope that makes sense!
    01-08-13 10:10 AM