The BB10 launch is less than 9 days away and there hasn't been any marketing whatsoever for the platform or for the phones. I am a little concerned here considering that no one I know has ever heard of BB10. The people that do know (or the people that want to know) have to go out onto the internet and find out all of the info on their own. That is backwards marketing and clearly makes no sense and therefor is ineffective. I have faith in RIM that it won't be another situation like BB7 where the marketing started 5 months after the phones were released. But I am worried about the lack of marketing so far. I would have at least expected some marketing by now...some BEFORE the release to let people know that it is coming. What do you all think?
    01-21-13 01:44 PM
    The BB10 launch is less than 9 days away and there hasn't been any marketing whatsoever for the platform or for the phones.
    Of course there has. That gigantic "cross-the-earth and speak to media big and small" tour that they've been on for months to keep Blackberry 10 appearing in the press and positively is a gigantic marketing initiative. Ditto for the big Jam events and port-a-thons to developers across the globe. The consumer marketing will come when there's a product to sell to consumers.

I am a little concerned here considering that no one I know has ever heard of BB10.
    Everyone I know has - even non-techie people. They see it on the news day in and day out.

Have a watch of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SAJp_tL7ggE
    kozmo68 and cjcampbell like this.
    01-21-13 01:50 PM
    There is nothing for RIM to market until after the "unveil" date. I'm sure that we'll see lots out there after they show the world what they have been taking their time to perfect.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-21-13 01:51 PM
    I heard commercial on Kitcheners radio station Chym FM 96.7 for a couple days now.
    01-21-13 02:05 PM
    Relax, have a mojito.
    Thor has got this one.
    dietertong likes this.
    01-21-13 02:29 PM
    The BB10 launch is less than 9 days away and there hasn't been any marketing whatsoever for the platform or for the phones. I am a little concerned here considering that no one I know has ever heard of BB10. The people that do know (or the people that want to know) have to go out onto the internet and find out all of the info on their own. That is backwards marketing and clearly makes no sense and therefor is ineffective. I have faith in RIM that it won't be another situation like BB7 where the marketing started 5 months after the phones were released. But I am worried about the lack of marketing so far. I would have at least expected some marketing by now...some BEFORE the release to let people know that it is coming. What do you all think?
    This is the 4th thread in the past few days. Normally, when you start a new thread, there's a list of similar threads that shows up. One of those is entitled "Where's the marketing?", so I would assume that this thread would have shown up for you. If you missed that, I can only assume you have attention-span issues. If you DIDN'T miss it, and posted this anyway, I can only assume you're trying to keep a topic alive that none of us have any way of addressing.

Here's how I'd answer your concern: the launch on Jan 30th isn't the beginning of availability, it's the announcement of the product. Ergo, THIS will be the date when the actual marketing push begins. I've made the point elsewhere: BlackBerry is a crippled brand in the eyes of many, and just the announcement of a new product isn't going to do much. Word-of-mouth is going to be the strongest vector.

Put it this way: they've put tens--maybe hundreds--of millions of dollars into building a decent app portfolio for BB10. I'd much rather they do that then spend on questionable "teaser" ads that will fall on mostly deaf ears.
    01-21-13 02:52 PM
    Another one of these threads? Let the man who's being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to market a product do his job, or feel free to apply for the position yourself.
    Thunderbuck and mk2234 like this.
    01-21-13 02:55 PM
    No. They will start marketing no earlier than January 30th.

Time to close this thread mod.
    mk2234 likes this.
    01-21-13 02:56 PM
    Marketing is not just about making ads and creating slick videos.
    I'm pretty sure the BB10 news we read about on news and tech sites is part of RIM's Public Relations strategy as well.
    Besides, there is little to market since the 30th of January is yet to come... The success of the reveil will decide whether or not we can expect a storm of marketing activities, given the fact that the majority of tech messages isn't from the company itself. It's RIM's job to convince tech critics, who then will or won't endorse BB10.

An ad will get enthusiasts even more excited, but it's not THE tool to win the smartphone war.
    01-21-13 03:31 PM
    Ahhhhhhh make it stop!
    01-21-13 03:32 PM
    Hey...relax people. No threads came up that were similar. You need to have near exact wording. And I didn't notice any either. It just came to me today.
    01-21-13 04:34 PM
    For what it's worth, BlackBerry had a booth at the Canadian Embassy in DC for Inauguration 2013 today, RIM is marketing, I just don't think general consumers are the focus right now. I really think Frank Boulben has already given us the strategy that they're pushing alot more on the ground, in Enterprise and with their "Elite" and influencers. When they're ready to market to general consumers, we'll see it and can make judgement then.
    01-21-13 04:46 PM
    There's some seriously impatient buggers in this place. Relax for goodness sake.
    01-21-13 04:48 PM
    There's some seriously impatient buggers in this place. Relax for goodness sake.
    People just isn't getting it. As someone in the marketing and advertising industry, I would say that RIM has already been marketing. Its called PR marketing. They've been doing a ton of demos interviews and leaks. Using people to spread the features through blogs, social media, and among friends.

No, its not a commercial spot, but its working. You also can't market something that isn't out yet. That's a big "no no".

RIM is doing the right thing by being patient and strategic.
    Last edited by walt63; 01-21-13 at 07:38 PM.
    01-21-13 05:10 PM
    Exactly Walt.
    01-21-13 05:20 PM
    FIFTY THOUSAND and one!

On a more serious note, keep in mind that the devices will probably not be available on launch day. So there will still be time to have marketing before the devices are actually released. (hopefully not too much time). Also keep in mind that this topic has been discussed before.
    01-21-13 05:42 PM
    Again... the marketing will come around once the product is unveiled. They've stated on multiple occasions that this would be their plan, and it seems reasonable seeing as you can't market a product that isn't out yet..
    mk2234 likes this.
    01-21-13 06:01 PM
    did you miss the huge spreads RIM did in the NYT newspaper and website? relax. the major marketing push will come after launch.
    01-22-13 12:52 PM
    This is the 4th thread in the past few days. Normally, when you start a new thread, there's a list of similar threads that shows up. One of those is entitled "Where's the marketing?", so I would assume that this thread would have shown up for you. If you missed that, I can only assume you have attention-span issues. If you DIDN'T miss it, and posted this anyway, I can only assume you're trying to keep a topic alive that none of us have any way of addressing.

Here's how I'd answer your concern: the launch on Jan 30th isn't the beginning of availability, it's the announcement of the product. Ergo, THIS will be the date when the actual marketing push begins. I've made the point elsewhere: BlackBerry is a crippled brand in the eyes of many, and just the announcement of a new product isn't going to do much. Word-of-mouth is going to be the strongest vector.

Put it this way: they've put tens--maybe hundreds--of millions of dollars into building a decent app portfolio for BB10. I'd much rather they do that then spend on questionable "teaser" ads that will fall on mostly deaf ears.
    Take it from an early adopter windows phone user (and still use the platform)...lack of marketing is a death blow for the platform...
    Microsoft did squat in marketing for Windows Phone until WP8 was release in November 2012...now they have ads all over the place all over the world have have increased their sales 5x (literally 5x) and in some countries have marketshare at close to 20% (Italy, Brazil).
    Look at Canada...next to zero marketing...only Rogers is pushing it and not all that much and surprise surprise there is little interest in the platform compared to the US.

I'd imagine RIM just doesn't have the money to push the platform themselves so early in the game. I'm assuming they will somewhat rely on carriers to do the heavy lifting and this is why you see a big push here in Canada by the carriers...unfortunately I havne't seen much if anything from the US or European carriers other than stating the obvious that they will eventually carry BB10.

Wish the platform all the luck as we need more players but the OP is correct...marketing is necessary and now
    01-23-13 09:25 PM
    Hey...relax people. No threads came up that were similar. You need to have near exact wording. And I didn't notice any either. It just came to me today.

Here is a list of marketing related threads I found using advanced search with the term "marketing" and "search titles only" enabled. You can read the other threads in there.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search.php?searchid=766664
    01-23-13 11:21 PM
    6 days to go
    01-23-13 11:29 PM
    Different company has different way of marketing, for example apple like to accident-ly leave their Iphone prototype in crowded bars.
    01-24-13 01:17 AM
    The problem with Launch being so close is that EVERY THREAD ABOUT BB10 or RIM or BlackBerry covers every subject and no one really stays on topic.... we are passionate and eager people who cannot be expected to neatly organize our thoughts so close to such a huge event.

did I say 6 days yet?
    Masahiro likes this.
    01-24-13 01:31 AM
    No they shouldn't.
    01-24-13 05:30 AM
    There is more to marketing then ads on tv and the Internet. RIM has been marketing getting the word out on BB10, showing off demos and slowly changing the media perception of the brand name. The ads will come once BB10 is unveiled and shown to the world.
    01-24-13 07:00 AM
27 12