It's ironic that bar files have to be side loaded while tethered to a computer, but apk files can be installed OTA, just like in the good ol' days! Do you think BlackBerry should fix this and allow bar files to be installed OTA? I love Snap- the app that allows apk downloads from Google Play, but I had to first side load it onto my Z10. Now that I've gone through that trouble, I can access, download, and install Android apps with ultimate convenience. All I can say is- really?
    01-03-14 11:19 PM
    Karma!

Flicked on my Z30 or crushed on my Q5!
    pttptppt likes this.
    01-03-14 11:24 PM
    The sideloading was and is intended for developer use. When we download apps from BBW, they are also BAR files so they actually do allow OTA installation.
    The recent addition of directly installing APK files leads me to think they have other big plans.

Z30, 10.2.1.1925
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    01-03-14 11:30 PM
    The sideloading was and is intended for developer use. When we download apps from BBW, they are also BAR files so they actually do allow OTA installation.
    The recent addition of directly installing APK files leads me to think they have other big plans.

Z30, 10.2.1.1925
    There's a clear distinction between downloading & installing from BlackBerry World & installing OTA outside of the app store (true OTA). Legacy OS's supported both, but BB10 doesn't.

Regardless of side loading's original intent, it's now more convenient installing Android apps than bar files (Appworld excluded, of course).
    01-03-14 11:34 PM
    you lol.... bar file is developer mode = .apk file is install ota.. is evolution bro
    01-03-14 11:36 PM
    BlackBerry won't ever allow bar files to be installed OTA outside of BlackBerry World and BlackBerry beta zone.

That would open the door for 3rd party app stores, loss of revenue and general anarchy and loss of control over their ecosystem. They allow it for android apps because the anarchy is already there and not their problem.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 11:37 PM
    you lol.... bar file is developer mode = .apk file is install ota.. is evolution bro
    The bar file is BlackBerry's proprietary file format & apk is Android's format. With Android Runtime, BB10 can run Android apps, but bar is still BB10's native format.
    01-03-14 11:39 PM
    BlackBerry won't ever allow bar files to be installed OTA outside of BlackBerry World and BlackBerry beta zone.

That would open the door for 3rd party app stores, loss of revenue and general anarchy and loss of control over their ecosystem. They allow it for android apps because the anarchy is already there and not their problem.

Posted via CB10
    It was allowed in all prior OS's before BB10 came along. Legacy OS's still make up the vast majority of BlackBerry devices. They're allowing exactly what you're describing by supporting OTA download & install of apk, so why shoudn't they do it w/bar files?

Reminds me of when BBM when cross-platform and people (myself included) complained that Android and iOS devices would get BBM but the Playbook would not! A day or two before the launch, BB Bridge was updated to include BBM support on Playbook for BB10 devices.

That is all...
    01-03-14 11:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this except the part about them allowing it it for Android APK. Technically, they have yet to release a version of the OS that can install APK, OTA.

Z30, 10.2.1.1925
    01-03-14 11:43 PM
    It was allowed in all prior OS's before BB10 came along. Legacy OS's still make up the vast majority of BlackBerry devices. They're allowing exactly what you're describing by supporting OTA download & install of apk, so why shoudn't they do it w/bar files?
    I think the installation of OTA apps was possible, because that was an easy way to install 'apps' before official introduction of the BlackBerry App World back in 2009. As it was already a widespread and accustomed feature and it wasn't a problem for them, they kept it in the OS.
    With the introduction of BlackBerry 10, they needed all developers to love them more than ever and thus had to please them and make developing for the platform attractive and easy (hence the Android Runtime, the continuation of free development tools, keeping minum piracy). That meant getting rid of the ability to install (native) apps OTA from sources other than BlackBerry World.
    (atleast that's how I see it, please correct me where I am wrong if that is the case)

Posted via CB10
    just_luc likes this.
    01-04-14 01:16 AM