We have paid Gmail through work. Our address is not [email protected], instead it is [email protected]. Since this is paid, I assume I can set up this account using EAS on my BlackBerry? True?

Questions:

1.) is this better than IMAP? I think so...

2.) I have another EAS account in my phone via a MS Exch Server. Is it ok to have two EAS accounts on one phone?

3.) I assume have to set it up manually via Advanced since just entering my email sets it us as Gmail IMAP? If so, are these directions still accurate?

What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email

4.) Does this also set up Calendar and Contacts to sync? I does on my MES account. If not, how do I set those up to sync.

5.) Will Google Calendar FINALLY Work right on my BlackBerry???

6.) Do I have to delete the IMAP version of this account before doing this? If not, it will allow both the IMAP and EAS versions at the same time? So I'm assuming I will need to remove the IMAP version first. Since that's a pain to readd, I wanted to try and get my questions answered here once he other things first.

Thanks!

Sent from my white hot Z10 Rocking Leaked 10.2
    01-04-14 11:58 PM
    KB33472-How to integrate a Google Apps email account using Microsoft ActiveSync

Shouldn't have issues with multiple EAS account. Personally haven't tried this with Google hosted apps
    pkcable likes this.
    01-05-14 12:22 AM
    1.) is this better than IMAP? I think so...

2.) I have another EAS account in my phone via a MS Exch Server. Is it ok to have two EAS accounts on one phone?

3.) I assume have to set it up manually via Advanced since just entering my email sets it us as Gmail IMAP? If so, are these directions still accurate?

What Are the Gmail Exchange ActiveSync Settings? - About Email

4.) Does this also set up Calendar and Contacts to sync? I does on my MES account. If not, how do I set those up to sync.

5.) Will Google Calendar FINALLY Work right on my BlackBerry???

6.) Do I have to delete the IMAP version of this account before doing this? If not, it will allow both the IMAP and EAS versions at the same time? So I'm assuming I will need to remove the IMAP version first. Since that's a pain to readd, I wanted to try and get my questions answered here once he other things first.

1. In most cases, yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes, it probably defaults to the "common" way, which these days would be IMAP. As for detailed instructions, I would use Google's pages rather than those about.com ones, they change fairly often and Google's should be the most up to date.
    4. You can decide whether to sync calendar/contacts at account setup time. There are sliders at the bottom of the account configuration page to enable/disable syncing of Email/Contacts/Calendar/Tasks.
    5. Google calendar works fine on BB10, especially recent OS builds.
    6. I would not have 2 instances of the same account using the same credentials on the device at the same time, it will probably cause problems. Removing IMAP first is not a pain because your data is stored in the cloud anyway. Just make sure you have copy/pasted any draft messages you want to save in case they are not imported to the new account, most of the other data shouldn't have any issue.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-05-14 12:42 AM
    Now THIS is what I like to see!
    Omnitech likes this.
    01-05-14 12:58 AM
    Thanks, guys!!! Gonna try it now.

pkcable likes this.
    01-05-14 01:06 AM
    Worked PERFRCTLY!!! Thank you!

Now if I could only get my work Google Calendar to work well with Outlook for Windows 8!

Omnitech and pkcable like this.
    01-05-14 01:42 AM
    You are most welcome.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    pkcable likes this.
    01-05-14 08:10 AM
    I too have paid Google apps but decided not to use EAS because I couldn't invite others to an appointment that I set up in the Calendar. Has that been fixed in the latest leaks?

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    01-05-14 09:19 AM
    I too have paid Google apps but decided not to use EAS because I couldn't invite others to an appointment that I set up in the Calendar. Has that been fixed in the latest leaks?

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    Oh my God:

"This calendar does not support participants."

WTF BlackBerry?????????

01-05-14 10:42 AM
    Oh my God:

"This calendar does not support participants."

WTF BlackBerry?????????

If it is a generic ActiveSync setup on your BlackBerry, then it sounds like it is an implementation decision by Google. You should ask them and I am sure they will tell you to use their CalDAV connection.

01-05-14 10:43 AM
    If it is a generic ActiveSync setup on your BlackBerry, then it sounds like it is an implementation decision by Google. You should ask them and I am sure they will tell you to use their CalDAV connection.

I think I can add that separately like I did before when I had the email on IMAP.

01-05-14 10:45 AM
    It won't let you link an EAS email to a CalDav calendar to send the invites.

I chose not to use EAS for any of it and haven't noticed a difference. I hear push is faster but it must only be msec faster. Everything work just fine without it. So why EAS? I don't know. Is it more secure?

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    01-05-14 11:04 AM
    It won't let you link an EAS email to a CalDav calendar to send the invites.

I chose not to use EAS for any of it and haven't noticed a difference. I hear push is faster but it must only be msec faster. Everything work just fine without it. So why EAS? I don't know. Is it more secure?

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    Yeah I don't know. Sync seems faster but the Calendar was the main reason. Dan. Hours wasted.

01-05-14 12:04 PM
    Can I at least ACCEPT meeting appointments???
    01-05-14 12:36 PM
    Yes, I can accept appointments. Thank god. But this is pretty weak, IMHO.
    01-05-14 12:49 PM
    Conclusion: CANNOT INVITE PARTICIPANTS USING EAS & GMAIL. NOT POSSIBLE WITH BB10.
    01-05-14 02:11 PM
    Conclusion: CANNOT INVITE PARTICIPANTS USING EAS & GMAIL. NOT POSSIBLE WITH BB10.
    You should contact Google and ask them if they haven't implemented that EAS feature and why.

01-05-14 05:43 PM

Maybe I'll do a FAQ on this eventually.

It is just a far more sophisticated protocol than IMAP, generally speaking.

Though there have been a ridiculous amount of "extensions" suggested and standardized for IMAP, but you never know what sort of vegetable soup of options any particular provider will have implemented.

Then you have providers like Google who add a bunch of their proprietary junk to it, ensuring that nothing works quite right unless you either use their dedicated client, or write all sorts of special accomodations in your code specifically for them. (Which of course break when they inevitably diddle around with things, as they are constantly doing.)

For "push" notifications, EAS is far more robust, tolerates "unfriendly" networks much better, and especially if you are syncing multiple mailboxes, is much more power efficient. (And once again, there have been proposals to bolt stuff onto IMAP to improve its efficiency, but most providers don't support those extensions.)

EAS supports all the PIM functionality natively, whereas IMAP is only for email and some raw/simple file operations. For calendar you have to use something else (typically CalDAV), for Contacts you have to use something else (typically CardDAV), and there is no equivalent to the EAS "Notes" or "To Do" functions. Nor all the various MDM and remote management capabilities.
    01-05-14 08:14 PM
    You should contact Google and ask them if they haven't implemented that EAS feature and why.

Why can I add participants using this calendar on my iPad?

01-05-14 08:45 PM
    Maybe I'll do a FAQ on this eventually.

It is just a far more sophisticated protocol than IMAP, generally speaking.

Though there have been a ridiculous amount of "extensions" suggested and standardized for IMAP, but you never know what sort of vegetable soup of options any particular provider will have implemented.

Then you have providers like Google who add a bunch of their proprietary junk to it, ensuring that nothing works quite right unless you either use their dedicated client, or write all sorts of special accomodations in your code specifically for them. (Which of course break when they inevitably diddle around with things, as they are constantly doing.)

For "push" notifications, EAS is far more robust, tolerates "unfriendly" networks much better, and especially if you are syncing multiple mailboxes, is much more power efficient. (And once again, there have been proposals to bolt stuff onto IMAP to improve its efficiency, but most providers don't support those extensions.)

EAS supports all the PIM functionality natively, whereas IMAP is only for email and some raw/simple file operations. For calendar you have to use something else (typically CalDAV), for Contacts you have to use something else (typically CardDAV), and there is no equivalent to the EAS "Notes" or "To Do" functions. Nor all the various MDM and remote management capabilities.
    Agree the email sync is much more robust. The lack of Participant support in Calendar is inexcusable (whoever's fault it is).

01-05-14 08:47 PM
    Why can I add participants using this calendar on my iPad?

That's a good question. You're connecting with Exchange ActiveSync on the iPad?

There are apparently known issues with meeting participants on Google Apps calendars if configured with EAS on BB10.

Interestingly, some people reported this was addressed with late builds of 10.1 and early builds of 10.2, but it seems the latest 10.2.1 builds may have an issue again.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ipants-772088/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...10-2-a-836176/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/busines...ml#post8761082

KB32869-Unable to add attendees using the Gmail calendar on the BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Since Google is probably not running Microsoft servers on their side and only licenses the Exchange ActiveSync protocol spec, I would not be a bit surprised if the way they implement it on their end is idiosyncratic. See my earlier comments about Google and IMAP.

Otherwise one would expect the problem to show up on BB10 devices connected to Microsoft servers too, and it does not.
    HotFix likes this.
    01-05-14 09:18 PM
    That's a good question. You're connecting with Exchange ActiveSync on the iPad?

There are apparently known issues with meeting participants on Google Apps calendars if configured with EAS on BB10.

Interestingly, some people reported this was addressed with late builds of 10.1 and early builds of 10.2, but it seems the latest 10.2.1 builds may have an issue again.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ipants-772088/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...10-2-a-836176/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/busines...ml#post8761082

KB32869-Unable to add attendees using the Gmail calendar on the BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Since Google is probably not running Microsoft servers on their side and only licenses the Exchange ActiveSync protocol spec, I would not be a bit surprised if the way they implement it on their end is idiosyncratic. See my earlier comments about Google and IMAP.

Otherwise one would expect the problem to show up on BB10 devices connected to Microsoft servers too, and it does not.
    On iPad now. I can't tell how my gmail account is connected to it. All I know is everything with calendars works perfectly. Email however is far better on bb10.
    01-05-14 10:55 PM
    On iPad now. I can't tell how my gmail account is connected to it. All I know is everything with calendars works perfectly. Email however is far better on bb10.

If you go into your account settings if you see "Exchange", it's setup as Exchange ActiveSync, or EAS. Other options could be IMAP. And for Calendar/Contacts, CalDAV/CardDAV.
    01-06-14 12:55 AM