If you run a business, or have even an inkling of how a business is suppose to run, then you must realize that you can throw good money after bad for only so long before you realize that you may lose it all over nothing.

And that's what was happening.

Nothing.

Once you realize that you can't get blood from a stone, it's time to set your priorities elsewhere.
    Well said. When BB10 launched, we all hoped that at least the big name apps would come, and their presence would attract other developers, and there would be at least some forward momentum, even if it was slow. That didn't happen, as we all know. We got an Android version of Kindle in BB World at launch; that was one of the Big Name apps. As far as I know, it hasn't been updated in ages, if ever.

Given BB10's failure in the marketplace, what could BlackBerry possibly say to these developers now to change their minds?

In contrast, WP managed to gain a slight foothold, and a little bit of momentum. They've slowly picked up a few major apps, but even there the updates are few and far between. And some developers, such as some major banking apps, have dropped support for WP.

WP has about ten times the number of users as BB10, and they are just barely inching forward. How do they do it? I don't know the full answer, but part of it must be that developers know that Microsoft isn't going anywhere. They're in it for the long haul. They don't know that about BB10; far from it.
    06-16-15 08:04 AM
    WP has about ten times the number of users as BB10, and they are just barely inching forward. How do they do it? I don't know the full answer, but part of it must be that developers know that Microsoft isn't going anywhere. They're in it for the long haul. They don't know that about BB10; far from it.
    Microsoft has the resources to pump billions into the mobile market. That's one thing. Plus they have really excellent developer tools. They have sophisticated developer relation groups located in the right places where most popular apps are made. They also have many, many developers out there who know C# and VB and .Net and are generally familiar with developing for windows platforms. Those same developers are less comfortable with iOS and Android and became loud internal advocates at our company for building a Windows Mobile team.

Of course we ended up shutting down the team, because as you said, the numbers just aren't there to support the expense. Well over 95% of our audience now own at least one iOS or Android device. The number who own no smartphone and no tablet is actually higher than the number who own only WP (or only BB10)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    06-16-15 09:56 AM
    So much denial. The experience in premium news apps is nothing like their websites.

There are some MAJOR ones missing that just make BB10 a no go.

And unofficial Play Store hacks are not the answer.
    Are YOU going to write and maintain the apps? If the news outlets themselves won't do it, then why are you blaming BlackBerry? Protest to the media companies!

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    06-16-15 10:57 AM
    Of course we ended up shutting down the team, because as you said, the numbers just aren't there to support the expense. Well over 95% of our audience now own at least one iOS or Android device. The number who own no smartphone and no tablet is actually higher than the number who own only WP (or only BB10)
    And that makes perfectly good sense. My personal suspicion/guess is that Windows/WP10 will provide enough of a bump in consumer interest to get developer interest moving again. I think the visibility of apps on mobile, tablet, and laptop devices will be appealing, even though the programming will no doubt present some new challenges. And I expect Microsoft to market the snot out of the new WP devices, when they come. They're already visibly ramping up the advertising of the existing Surface line.
    06-16-15 01:01 PM
    So - I'm not a guy who typically takes the stance of "apps aren't necessary when you have a good browser", but I find most newspapers in 2015 have very good, very mobile friendly websites. I don't download a lot of newspaper apps for that reason ... on any of my devices. A lot of my news is first sent to me via twitter, which then links back to a mobile website link, not an app.
    I find many newspapers have rather poor websites. I want an impeccable newspaper reading experience. For a blog, I can look elsewhere.
    06-16-15 01:29 PM
    Are YOU going to write and maintain the apps? If the news outlets themselves won't do it, then why are you blaming BlackBerry? Protest to the media companies!

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.680
    This is not only about media, as evidenced by the original post. This is about breaking the Play Store monopoly starting with essential free apps distributed "AS IS". Better it be Google+Amazon than just Google or just Kindle.
    06-16-15 01:34 PM
    I find many newspapers have rather poor websites. I want an impeccable newspaper reading experience. For a blog, I can look elsewhere.
    Fair enough. I'm probably lucky in that all the ones I read seem to have invested in good responsive websites so all of the ones that matter to me render great on any device I have.
    06-16-15 03:18 PM
    I am not asking for community help. I am pointing out an obvious problem BlackBerry needs to pay attention to.
    All this time I have all these apps to get stuff done..
    BUT I need google play so for Candy's Crush (the adult version of Candy Crush)

:-)

Posted via CB10
    06-16-15 03:24 PM
    We How do they do it? I don't know the full answer, but part of it must be that developers know that Microsoft isn't going anywhere. They're in it for the long haul. They don't know that about BB10; far from it.
    Microsoft throws major $$$ at developers. They pay them to bring apps to the platform. They often agree to take care of initial development as well.

Even then, they have a hard time getting developers to agree. Some outright refuse because they don't want to take over supporting the app later. Others do the initial support, but then never upgrade their app later.

One of the Windows Phone Central podcasts talks about this problem.

Developers usually think iOS first (due to scale and ease of development), then Android (due to scale but resistance because of fragmentation) ... then, if lucky, Windows Phone ... and if really lucky, BlackBerry.

But for the most part, it's a two horse race right night for developers. When Windows 10 comes out, that may shift. For now, I wouldn't call Windows Phone's marketshare a "foothold" as much as a loose toe-hold. It's also pretty tenuous in some markets though I think it could change.

Microsoft has Office and Windows money to sustain the business.
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    06-16-15 03:28 PM
    This is what happens with many newspaper apps on tablet:

Install -> poor layout -> uninstall
    06-20-15 05:54 AM
    I'm pretty sure that John Chen has heard the message loud and clear. That's why he's sacrificing BB10 and coming out with an Android flagship device around the end of the year. No work-arounds. No half solutions. No excuses. No telling users what they should and shouldn't want.
    Sacrifice BB10? That's a stupid and irresponsible comment. Do you go to the meetings with Chen? I highly doubt it. Android is another Avenue to make money, period.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 06:17 AM
    Sacrifice BB10? That's a stupid and irresponsible comment. Do you go to the meetings with Chen? I highly doubt it.
    This is CrackBerry. People here act like they personally play racketball with Chen twice a week and he tells them all the insight personally in between the game and the beers they go out for after.
    miker476, ChrisLeNeve and awindsr like this.
    06-20-15 09:56 AM
    Next tablet size: at least 15"

Retina 12.2" is OK for reading textbook PDFs, but is not enough for e-paper. 13" would not be much different.
    06-20-15 01:54 PM
    Already one year old:

06-20-15 03:33 PM
    This is CrackBerry. People here act like they personally play racketball with Chen twice a week and he tells them all the insight personally in between the game and the beers they go out for after.
    Omg ... this is the quote of the century ... I've always wondered why these armchair CEOs aren't managing big corporations or running for President instead of spouting advice on Crackberry.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 08:49 PM
65 123