Should I be concerned with the security of a bank or credit card APK such as the AMEX App from Android? I understand that I give the Android apps a lot more exposure to my phone than BlackBerry would allow, but that does not really concern me too much as Android users do it everyday. But does the fact that it is a port leave open any possible security beach being that it was designed for the Android runtime and not the BlackBerry runtime (even though they are similar) ?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 02:51 PM
    You should ALWAYS be concerned with apps, however the Android runtime on BlackBerry is sandboxed to increase the security level of Android and of course, it doesn't run the way Android does exactly so any Android targeted malware has trouble running on BlackBerry. It's kind of like trying to run a Windows virus on a Mac. It was never intended for that so it doesn't REALLY know how to function.
    06-21-14 03:02 PM
    This is precisely the reason I am not running android apps on my phone yet. Malware is one thing, but the inability to control android app permissions means those apps still have access to pretty much all data on my phone. This is exactly why I hate android.

I do hope 10.3 includes AppOps or a way to control android app permissions. If not, the amazon deal means nothing to me.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    06-22-14 07:55 AM
    You should always be leery of banking apps, even if native. There are plenty of examples where banking apps have not used TLS.

You are probably better off using the bank's website on the BlackBerry browser, where at least you can see the "lock."

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014...e-banking-app/

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 08:43 PM