How do I search more than one field on a z10? One of the reasons I never switched to an iphone or android was because I liked how you could go back into past emails and say search all emails in the "sent" folder to "a certain person" that contained "a certain word." I liked how you could search all your accounts in the event you weren't positive if you sent it as a text or email. On my z10, all it lets me do is check one field and search it. Does anyone else like having more control over searches? How do you configure your settings?
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    03-22-13 04:51 PM
    Hi, I do not know if this will help you but if you use the universal search and put the parameters in the search line you can filter everything on the phone, that would give you all the mails with specific attributes. This is one painless way to do it. Use the parameters of the various fields in the search field of universal search. that would give you your results.

Also when you need to see by contact, open the contact card and in the activity tab you get all the relevant activity with and from that contact so this is another way to go about it.

Finally in the hub, next to the search field you get a three horizontal lines area. Press that and you can choose either all fields or a certain one (from, to subject etc). then you can filter this on the same menu by choosing amongst various options like "unread, attachment, received" etc. now, if you start your search in the hub tab (where all your inboxes are unified) you will get results for all relevant messages in your hub. Then if you need per account you can do the same by just selecting to enter the specific account from the hub accounts menu.

Hope that helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Search multiple email  fields?-img_00000078.jpg   Search multiple email  fields?-img_00000079.jpg  
    PPubVid likes this.
    03-22-13 05:25 PM
    Thanks. I'll try and see. For blackberry to abandon its advanced search features to me makes it just an android or iphone with fewer apps and a slightly better universal inbox. Search to me seems to be going backwards since windows xp where everyone wants a google like search. But google doesnt work when you need a specific email....its more for when any number of websites will do. Thanks.

Do you think this is fixible with an update from blackberry?
    03-23-13 07:29 AM
    When you do your search from within the Hub the default search parameter is to search all fields.
    Perhaps I misunderstood your question?

Posted via CB10
    03-23-13 07:41 AM
    When you do your search from within the Hub the default search parameter is to search all fields.
    Perhaps I misunderstood your question?

Posted via CB10
    You understood it perfectly. Thanks for your response. Searching all fields is an "Or" search. I'm trying to do an "and" search. Not possible unfortunately and means I'll need to return the phone
    03-23-13 10:30 PM
    You understood it perfectly. Thanks for your response. Searching all fields is an "Or" search. I'm trying to do an "and" search. Not possible unfortunately and means I'll need to return the phone
    Maybe we could start a poll thread with this and take it to BlackBerry if it gets some attention and feedback? Only way to get things done or considered is to make some noise and ask for it?

None the less I think that by using universal search, although not the ideal solution, can get to provide a workaround as temp for people that need this to work as described from the op and it is imperative for them.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 07:42 PM
    I think you're right. My concern is that perhaps there's a reason why IOS and android have this kind of universal search and now blackberry. I wonder if it's related to blackberry no longer using its email server. Is there a central place people post requests for features and vote on them?
    03-27-13 04:32 PM
    I think you're right. My concern is that perhaps there's a reason why IOS and android have this kind of universal search and now blackberry. I wonder if it's related to blackberry no longer using its email server.

I totally agree with you, I was shocked to see so many widely used features get eliminated from BB system. It feels like a crippled Blackberry 7.0. Sure it will still work for a lot of people, but those who actually kept going with Blackberry, and did not abandon it feels like they've been betrayed. Honestly, I wish I bought a 9900 last year so I could actually have it for another year or so and watch what is happening in the market with newer ones. But now my 4+yr old 9700 is dying and I have to get something, and will eventually have to go with Z10. If I don't like it I have no other choice but to pay same (or even more in some cases, to T-Mobile!) and go back down to OS 7

Is there a central place people post requests for features and vote on them?

Blackberry or even Crackberry can do this by hooking up directly with Blackberry and set up a feedback system with voting.
    Something like this:
    SmugMug: Top (2046 ideas)

Just in this forum alone (crackberry) there are so many valid complaints that if BB took them seriously they could make a substantial improvement to the operating system and then it could still be the work-horse BB has been, and be able to compete with other platforms. If they do not pay attention to e-mail system, features and functionality, it will be just another Android/iPhone and will not last long because power users relied on those little things to go through the day. It will sound like I am repeating myself, but lack of keyboard shortcuts and butchered e-mail system is making me worry a lot.
    03-27-13 04:51 PM
    Hi, I do not know if this will help you but if you use the universal search and put the parameters in the search line you can filter everything on the phone, that would give you all the mails with specific attributes. This is one painless way to do it. Use the parameters of the various fields in the search field of universal search. that would give you your results.

Also when you need to see by contact, open the contact card and in the activity tab you get all the relevant activity with and from that contact so this is another way to go about it.

Finally in the hub, next to the search field you get a three horizontal lines area. Press that and you can choose either all fields or a certain one (from, to subject etc). then you can filter this on the same menu by choosing amongst various options like "unread, attachment, received" etc. now, if you start your search in the hub tab (where all your inboxes are unified) you will get results for all relevant messages in your hub. Then if you need per account you can do the same by just selecting to enter the specific account from the hub accounts menu.

Hope that helps!

Can you still tap on an e-mail and choose "Search Subject" / "Search Recipient (or Sender)" and see only those e-mails? How about filtering directly from the e-mail list "Filter Sender".. etc?
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-27-13 04:58 PM
    Can you still tap on an e-mail and choose "Search Subject" / "Search Recipient (or Sender)" and see only those e-mails? How about filtering directly from the e-mail list "Filter Sender".. etc?
    Thanks for posting that as it made me look further and I actually took notice of something important I had missed before!!!!

If you prolong-tap on a mail the menu on the right comes up. tap on the three dots and there you have the option to search by subject or by sender! (it searches in the hub area you are in ,i.e if in hub as universal inbox it will search there, if in [email protected] account inbox it will search that account.
    photo below.
    As to filtering you can do so by search feature as described in my first post from inside the hub. I have noticed no other way to do this.
    Another thing: you initiate a search on the hub (left pane filtering as mentioned in initial post) and then you can still use the search by sender or subject feature to further sort the list out!
    Attached Thumbnails Search multiple email  fields?-img_00000295.jpg  
    03-27-13 05:11 PM
    Thank you.
    How do we go about reaching BB to create a feedback system for most requested features, it would make their job a lot easier, actually. I don't think anyone else is offering it and would make them definitely more in touch with users, and make them feel important as these ideas will bring the company to personal level, similar to one-to-one.
    I wonder if Kevin can help.
    03-27-13 06:17 PM

When you hit "File", is there anyway to type the folder name? Try pulling out the keyboard (two fingers from bottom), can you at least type the 1st letter?
    03-27-13 06:26 PM
    When you hit "File", is there anyway to type the folder name? Try pulling out the keyboard (two fingers from bottom), can you at least type the 1st letter?
    The "File" option opens up the folder tree in your account and allows you to save the message in a file of your choice just by taping on the file you want to save the message in. It is not browsing through the messages in each folder for that account, just allows you to save filing your email.

PS: Ignore the weird characters its just greek to you (it is literaly Greek ).
    Attached Thumbnails Search multiple email  fields?-img_00000296.jpg  
    03-27-13 06:40 PM
    Thank you.
    How do we go about reaching BB to create a feedback system for most requested features, it would make their job a lot easier, actually. I don't think anyone else is offering it and would make them definitely more in touch with users, and make them feel important as these ideas will bring the company to personal level, similar to one-to-one.
    I wonder if Kevin can help.
    There are threads like that around, have a look by searching the forum. A new thread could be started and a poll made in relation. With some luck and if people get interrested and share the view it can draw attention. BBRY people are coming in these forums too, and of course CB is looking around for these things from time to time.

You can also contact BBRY and propose it. If there is a high participation thread in here to point them to, then your case may gain some pull for consideration I guess.

From what I have seen people have been talking about filtering messages emails in the bb10/ z10

some examples: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...update-769694/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...36/index6.html

Hope this helps.
    all the best.
    03-27-13 06:46 PM
    The "File" option opens up the folder tree in your account and allows you to save the message in a file of your choice just by taping on the file you want to save the message in. It is not browsing through the messages in each folder for that account, just allows you to save filing your email.

PS: Ignore the weird characters its just greek to you (it is literaly Greek ).
    Well, you know what, you just sold me a BB10, because of this:

Kalimera neighbor,
    I can't believe nobody mentioned that this was available. I kept asking people about it. Basically the ability to type the folder name. You see that little field above? I have tons of folders and it was really important for me to be able to find the folder I will be moving the e-mails to. I have been using shortcut "I" on my keyboard to file, and of course time to time I just have to view folder.

Now the killer question. When you file an e-mail into one of those folders (Greek or not ) does the e-mail still remain in the inbox list (like it does currently with older OS 7) or does it disappear from the inbox? This is also pretty important for me. Remember the little envelope icon turning into a folder icon? Sent e-mails showing as checkmark? Are these still there?
    03-27-13 07:11 PM
    Well, you know what, you just sold me a BB10, because of this:

http://gyazo.com/792b7042153e6285b60...png?1364429146

Kalimera neighbor,
    I can't believe nobody mentioned that this was available. I kept asking people about it. Basically the ability to type the folder name. You see that little field above? I have tons of folders and it was really important for me to be able to find the folder I will be moving the e-mails to. I have been using shortcut "I" on my keyboard to file, and of course time to time I just have to view folder.

Now the killer question. When you file an e-mail into one of those folders (Greek or not ) does the e-mail still remain in the inbox list (like it does currently with older OS 7) or does it disappear from the inbox? This is also pretty important for me. Remember the little envelope icon turning into a folder icon? Sent e-mails showing as checkmark? Are these still there?
    Kalimera! (what part of the neighborhood are you from ? )

I start off with the killer question:
    1. YES is the answer. I just tried it and although filed, the message in the phone remains visible in the hub inbox!
    2. The envelope icon YES IT TURNS into envelope
    3. Yes check mark is still there

On your other question: Yes you can type the folder name and the list will filter down to the name you look for, so there should be no problem in getting to find one of the many many folders you use

I am not sure on how you can browse by folder or if there is instance in the device (locally indexed in the phone) I will look for it at some point but I am calling it a night, so till next time!

PS: I am glad you find what you need in the phone, I will not take responsibility of "selling it to you" though hahahah. In all honesty, I find it to be a great phone, I am really loving it every day more. There is some polishing to be done in some few areas but it is a bliss of the phone to my personal preference.
    03-27-13 07:36 PM
    THANK U @CURRENTODYSSEYS! I was just complaining/searching feeling like I had seen it but couldn't find it again...you saved the day! (as a freelancer most of my work comes from crews/clients that I've never met or are hard pressed to remember their names, so this feature would be a deal breaker if it had really been missing!) thanks again!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 11:00 PM