So a couple weeks ago, i was out of town and was trying to download offline Spotify playlists to my Z10 (running official T-mobile 10.2.1). That night I tried to take pictures, and got a media card error and it wouldn't save my pictures to the media card, though they would save to device memory. I double checked the media card stats and it said i had only used 29gb of the 59 available. FYI, I have a Sandisk Ultra 64gb micro sd card. I was able to view pictures and even upload them to my Box account, but couldn't delete any individual files and if I tried to format in my Z10, it said media card error.

So I came back, wiped my phone and installed 10.3 leak and still couldn't format the sd card. I even put my sd card in my fiance's Z10 running official 10.2.1 and it couldnt do it either.

I've searched everywhere online for an answer. I've tried Windows DiskPart, but just get an error when trying to clean the partition tables. So I then downloaded MiniTool partition wizard. I see my SD card has two partitions: 1) 16mb unallocated "logical" space as beginning partition, then 59.5GB FAT32 partition. I can go through and SUCCESSFULLY delete the partition in the MiniTool program, but it actually doens't delete either partition.

So basically, it looks like my SD card is frozen and I can't fix it. I'm fine losing all data as I was able to save it all. I even bought a new 64gb sd card, but I'm just hoping to maybe save this card and use it in another device. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I even tried downloading the RaspBMC installer thinking maybe its something a Linux installer could fix, but that didn't do anything either when I selected Re-format in that program.

Thanks guys!
    05-28-14 12:28 PM
    So you managed to save all your data, but want to make the card usable again? Is that correct?
    05-28-14 03:42 PM
    Download guiformat and see if you can format it on your PC. guiformat is a free little app that someone told me about. Saved my SD card. I have a 64GB too.
    GUI Format - fat32 drive formatter - Software - RealModScene
    1magine likes this.
    05-28-14 03:45 PM
    I was having the same problem where my Q5 wasn't able to read my 64gb SD Card on 10.3. To fix the issue I put the SD Card into my Mac and partitioned it as 1 partition in MS-DOS (FAT) format. Putting it back into my Q5 the card was now accessible on the phone.

A few observations when trying to fix this issue:

1. If I simply erased the card on my computer, this didn't fix the issue. It has to be partitioned as 1 partition
    2. If I formatted the card on my computer in anything but FAT it didn't work (ExFAT wouldn't work either)
    3. Once the card is formatted to FAT and working on my phone; if I format it again directly on the device this breaks it and again the SD Card is no longer working

Hope this helps!
    05-28-14 08:34 PM
    I had problems like that with my Sandisk 64GB and you know how I fixed my problems. I removed and put it back in. Working great now.
    05-28-14 09:21 PM
    I've tried every windows based format/partition tool there is just about. I even made an Ubuntu flash drive and booted my laptop to that and tried gparted. It would say the same thing that it was successful, but it would refresh the drive and still show the 16 mb unallocated space partition and the remainder partition with my data. Its quite odd.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 10:33 PM
    I use Patriot cards. Only. None other. No issues. Period.

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    05-29-14 03:56 AM
    I've warned people repeatedly here and elsewhere about trying to reformat 64 and 128gb SD cards from exFAT to other formats. The change in bank management required for SD/XC cards is incompatible with other than exFAT and over time you will damage the format on the card.

This results in the card becoming corrupted or not readable at all.

Most of the time you can recover the card (but not the data) if you can find a machine that will reformat it. Windows laptops with built-in SD card slots are your best option, as the timing requirements on these cards are very stringent and the adapters made that plug in and are commonly sold for desktop machines are of poor quality (even the "good ones".) Format it as exFAT; do not use FAT32 or NTFS for cards >32Gb.

BB10 prior to 10.2.1.3175 will read and write exFAT. So far it does not appear that any of the other BB10 releases do.
    dablessing likes this.
    05-30-14 07:55 AM
    Thanks TickerGuy. I have a windows 7 laptop (dual boots ubuntu) and I'll try the built in card reader. If it doesn't work, then I'll just consider it dead. No big deal. I learned my lesson.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-14 09:22 AM
    San Disc cards are known for errors...Use Patriot.

05-31-14 05:10 AM
    Just call SanDisk. The Ultra card has a lifetime warranty. They will send a replacement for free.

Posted via CB10
    dablessing likes this.
    05-31-14 09:58 AM
    Just call SanDisk. The Ultra card has a lifetime warranty. They will send a replacement for free.

Posted via CB10
    FYI, I did contact SanDisk and am sending my faulty card back to them today. Thanks for this heads up. I'll make sure I keep this card formatted to exFat.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-14 10:42 AM
    Unfortunately, just experienced this with my Patriot 32GB SD card

I managed to recover some of the files using FileCHK (after checking the drive for errors using my computer), but this is a slow process. Mostly want some of the photos.
    San Disc cards are known for errors...Use Patriot.

07-11-14 05:42 PM