Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN
    Proud contributer to The Human Fund

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Sounds like once we've heard some honest comments (and preferably numerical data) from Swype users who really give the BB10 keyboard a shot, we'll have some solid evidence of just how well it really does.
    While I never really used Swype, I am/was a big fan of Swiftkey Flow, which is their version of Swype. I think it slowed my typing down a bit as far as speed, but the one-handed ease of it made it great for texting on the fly or *looks around* while driving. Alas, my beta ran out, so I'm back to normal Swiftkey again, and i've noticed my speed pick up once more.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,446 Global Posts
    PIN
    24E2B9CC
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  

Since I'm a nut for measurements, and because RIM was offering $100 per app during the portathon, I decided to write an app. :-)

Attachment 132032

Note that, with only a little extra practice, I appear to be beating my speed on the 9900, although I don't have this app on the 9900 to make it an entirely fair comparison, and it was only a very quick test.

Look for the Flying Thumbs app in BlackBerry World around the launch of BB10, provided it gets approved in time. It's FREE!
    Wow! I look forward to that application
    I haven't really heard of an application like that before for a mobile device.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CatlinFD View Post
    Wow! I look forward to that application
    I haven't really heard of an application like that before for a mobile device.
    Seriously? I didn't check, but I would have assumed it was one of hundreds...
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN

Seriously? I didn't check, but I would have assumed it was one of hundreds...
    You are right. It's been available in some form for all the platforms, for quite some time. Although i'm not sure if I've seen one that just measures your speed as you type whatever you want, versus those that have you write out pre-determined sentences or words.
    "Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all." -Sam Ewing
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickroller View Post
    You are right. It's been available in some form for all the platforms, for quite some time. Although i'm not sure if I've seen one that just measures your speed as you type whatever you want, versus those that have you write out pre-determined sentences or words.
    Ah, thanks. Yes, that little bit of innovation was something I thought might be a reasonably original idea.

I'd also venture to guess that it's the only one anywhere that is tolerant of delays... if you pause more than 3s during the typing, it stops counting the entire pause against you. I don't like being told my typing speed is slow just because I stopped to think of what I wanted to say, instead of blindly flicking up predictions.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Sorry for asking this repetitive question - but has it been confirmed when the QWERTY keyboard bb10 is being released?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,465 Global Posts
    PIN

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM1987 View Post
    Sorry for asking this repetitive question - but has it been confirmed when the QWERTY keyboard bb10 is being released?
    No..nothing has been confirmed for timing yet, not even with the full touchscreen model.
    Rollin' on Twitter
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    20EB1810

The real barrier to getting fast on a touchscreen is having faith in yourself. When you stop looking at the keyboard and just have your eyes follow your output, then you can get up to the same speed as on a physical keyboard, or certainly very close to it. When on a touchscreen (I have been on and off with android) I always feel so much more comfortable in landscape than in portrait and can go very fast like that, just unfortunately it eats screen real estate. In portrait I used to be ok but not phenominal because the keys always felt smaller than my thumb-tip and that made me be a little more hesitant. But that's a thing that should pass with time, and particularly since the Z10 learns where you are pressing for different keys. The predictive stuff is kinda... well its fine, but I don't like it because if I'm typing fast I'm not looking at the keys, or even at the bar just over the keyboard, so I just ignore them. But for people who are new to touchscreens it may help. But the big deal is it learning where you press. That's so huge. Even for those of us with huge thumbs, it should quickly build up the confidence for us to just type.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Why not both?

Their are patents pointing out the possibility of a torch-like phone coming up (basically a z10 with a sliding portrait keyboard). So if you can you might wanna wait a bit. Either that or try the z10 in store. If you don't like it get the q10.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12