Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 80
Like Tree31Likes
  1. brian_peterson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    864 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Running the 9th App?

    On BlackBerry 10 what happens when you try and run the 9th app simultaneously? Everyone says "up to 8 apps running at a time"... Does it close the first app you opened? Does it warn you? Does it save the state of that app and hibernate it? For example if I have docs to go and I did not save my changes?

    Please no speculation. Only those have a Z10 in hand answer! Thanks!
  2. BThunderW's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    821 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Looks like it simply closes the last app on the list. Which is kind of weird because one of those apps was Google Talk, it killed it and effectively disconnected me from it it seems.
  3. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default Running the 9th App?

    Just tested this... it closes the 1st app, no warning.
    Can't comment about the 'not saving' bit, as I only opened random apps.
    • That's Phill… with 2 L's
  4. TomJasper's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,078 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,084 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Question: what 8 apps does anybody use/need open at the same time, let alone 9. Not being sarcastic , just boggles my mind anybody needs 8 apps open at once.

    Secondly if you wanted to effectively pin an app, why not hit it once and bring it up to number one on rotation if it has made it's way to 8th spot?
    Negative thinking destroys your brain cells and causes global warming.*- Dodinsky (The Scientific Institute of Get Over It!) Action Spots
    Thanked by 2:
    95acc (02-02-2013),  jesse_h (02-01-2013) 
    CDM76 likes this.
  5. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    The app is closed just as if you tapped the X, which means it should save its "state" properly. It's not "killed", just asked to exit, the way any app is asked to exit, and any app which doesn't properly save is broken.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by 2:
    TomJasper (02-01-2013),  Toodeurep (02-02-2013) 
  6. #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BThunderW View Post
    Looks like it simply closes the last app on the list. Which is kind of weird because one of those apps was Google Talk, it killed it and effectively disconnected me from it it seems.
    No. Messaging apps still work through push notifications, just like on other platforms.
  7. canuckcam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    245 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I've seen some iPhone users who never quit their apps (then again, it's a tad more complicated to do it on their phone...) and they wonder why their phone is so slow.
    CDM76 likes this.
  8. abhibh's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by canuckcam View Post
    I've seen some iPhone users who never quit their apps (then again, it's a tad more complicated to do it on their phone...) and they wonder why their phone is so slow.
    iPhone automatically closes the app or freezes them when you have a lot of apps opened. That list you see in iPhone contains recent apps / apps opened. The first 4 apps are usually running but when u scroll the others are frozed or killed.
  9. polytope's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    333 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    I once met a person at a conference who asked me why his iPhone gets so slow sometimes. I asked him if he ever closes any app. He said he didn't. It turned out he had 20+ apps in the background "frozen". Not sure if that's the cause. But the way background apps work in iPhone is ultra confusing to users.
  10. Seijuro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    677 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    i hope there'll be a better solution in the future, because.. i wouldn't really want my spotifiy/music player... or skype, etc. to close just because i didn't pay attention
    possible solution: you can mark up to 4 actives frames.. and these active frames won't close until you unmark them

    that way you wouldn't have to worry about your music to suddenly stop
    Thanked by 2:
    mount.zed (02-17-2013),  Shane8750 (02-02-2013) 
    austriker, Toodeurep and kitkaht like this.
  11. austriker's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,114 Posts
    #11  

    Default Re: Running the 9th App?

    Quote Originally Posted by g2gcya View Post
    If qnx can handle 30 cores, why can't it handle unlimited activate frames or at least let users pin their favorite frames like weather apps on it.
    The ability to pin apps would be fantastic. Luckily that's a software issue and hopefully we will see this in an update from bb!
    Moto Rokr E1 > Moto SLVR > Pantech Duo > HTC G1 > Blackberry Bold 9700 > Bold 9900 > HTC G2 & BB 9000 > Z10 > Q10 > White Z30
    Tmobile USA - Prepaid $30 per month! (100 min, 5GB at 4G/LTE, unlmtd sms) + VoIP
    Join dropbox for free cloud storage

    Don't Panic
  12. brian_peterson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    864 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Thanks for the info so far... So let's explore the google talk example and a music player app... When either one becomes the 9th app does it still play music and allow for you to get chats? The reason this is important is it shows how much thought BlackBerry put into the architecture. You may feel 9 apps is insane. But some users won't close their apps, like my Mom... I think it's good that they get closed. But it should not kill off important services like Google Talk, and Spotify, in the sense the music and chats should keep flowing.
  13. alex8120's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    87 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Another one is when I am using the browser and I have a few tabs open, close the browser to do other stuff on the phone and then if I open 8 more apps, when I click the browser again it opens the start page and only that page, all the tabs have gone. Good for battery, speed and memory use, but like kevin said, would be nice to be able to 'pin' a few open or to the top of the 8 list.
  14. cjcampbell's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,687 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,691 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BThunderW View Post
    Looks like it simply closes the last app on the list. Which is kind of weird because one of those apps was Google Talk, it killed it and effectively disconnected me from it it seems.
    That's interesting but I will ask a question. Would you say that it would be normal that you entered into a Google Talk conversation, and then would continue to open another 8 apps before ending the conversation, or is that because you were exploring the device with your friend because it's so new?
  15. brian_peterson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    864 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default

    Normal for me, no. Normal for my Mom, yes. I could see her logging into Google Talk, and use the device all day, opening up other apps. Then she will hit the 9th app and Google Talk would close. The key is did BlackBerry, for these situations, allow for Google Talk to spin off a background service? Yes developers would have to take advantage of it. But all mobile OS's out today allow for that concept. It's true they don't offer full multitasking like BlackBerry. But I still think you would want some sort of Service to be able to always run. For example, I have Google Talk, as a Developer I don't want it to use the HUB. In this case is there any way when I reboot the phone, for this app to automatically receive chats, without the app running? My guess would be no, because where would the "alerts go to"? We don't have a alert window slider shade.... Or in that case could Google send something to the HUB, and have it open to Google Chat?

    I think these are important details that really help the user!
    Thanked by:
    cjcampbell (02-02-2013) 
    cjcampbell likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    That's interesting but I will ask a question. Would you say that it would be normal that you entered into a Google Talk conversation, and then would continue to open another 8 apps before ending the conversation, or is that because you were exploring the device with your friend because it's so new?
    How about you actually read what people are writing before commenting? Google Talk will close, but you would still get the messages if it's configured properly for push. Some apps obviously will not be configured properly. A perfect example is Skype on Android vs. iOS. On iOS, even when the system closes the app, you still get calls and messages. On Android, it doesn't use push notifications, and when the system closes it, you won't get any messages/calls.

    My point is that a good app will still inform you of messages/calls/etc. even if it does get closed by the system. I don't have a Z10, but for those that do; do you still get BBM messages when the app is not in the Active Frames?
    CDM76 and TomJasper like this.
  17. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian_peterson View Post
    Thanks for the info so far... So let's explore the google talk example and a music player app... When either one becomes the 9th app does it still play music and allow for you to get chats?
    I don't do Google or Spotify, but I just tested the native music player app... and it never closes.
    I opened the music player first and started to play. No matter how many apps I opened after this, it always stayed open and closed other apps around it.
    • That's Phill… with 2 L's
    Thanked by 2:
    austriker (02-02-2013),  CDM76 (02-17-2013) 
    ubizmo and bmercer94 like this.
  18. cjcampbell's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,687 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,691 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    How about you actually read what people are writing before commenting? Google Talk will close, but you would still get the messages if it's configured properly for push. Some apps obviously will not be configured properly. A perfect example is Skype on Android vs. iOS. On iOS, even when the system closes the app, you still get calls and messages. On Android, it doesn't use push notifications, and when the system closes it, you won't get any messages/calls.

    My point is that a good app will still inform you of messages/calls/etc. even if it does get closed by the system. I don't have a Z10, but for those that do; do you still get BBM messages when the app is not in the Active Frames?
    Thank for not taking my comment as it was intended. It was a question, and a valid one. After reading brian's post, which by the way actually answered and addressed my question, I did not realize that the app itself did not receive notifications unless open and running. I was looking at it as being open and utilized, and getting disconnected from a conversation. Next time, try to be a little less abrasive and recognize a question as just that, a question.
    austriker likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default

    I apologize, but you still have it wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    I did not realize that the app itself did not receive notifications unless open and running. I was looking at it as being open and utilized, and getting disconnected from a conversation.
    Push notifications have nothing to do with the app's status. When you get a push notification, it's actually the OS notifying you, and only when you click the notification do you actually open the related app. That's why in iOS, you could get push notifications from every single app on your phone, and it doesn't require much system resources; because those apps are not individually being opened. If Google Talk or BBM happen to be the 9th app and close, you should still get notifications. I don't have a Z10 to test that theory, but if they're using push like they should be, it doesn't matter if they get closed. If they're like Android's Skype app, then ya, you wouldn't get notifications when they close, but I doubt that's the case.
    TomJasper likes this.
  20. Seijuro's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    677 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    i really think it's important that they'll implement something that can prevent an app from closing, even if it'll be the 9th app, something like the idea i suggested
    it's not just about the music app, but sometimes i just hang out in skype and don't intend to go offline... or maybe im waiting for someone and in the meantime im opening many different apps and then 2hours later i realize skype was already closed hours ago

    and how does whatsapp work on the Z10? or what about future apps like BeBuzz.. because WhatsApp uses your number, so technically you should always be online even if it's not an active frame
    same with BeBuzz
    a little confused here : /
  21. #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seijuro View Post
    sometimes i just hang out in skype and don't intend to go offline... or maybe im waiting for someone and in the meantime im opening many different apps and then 2hours later i realize skype was already closed hours ago

    and how does whatsapp work on the Z10? or what about future apps like BeBuzz.. because WhatsApp uses your number, so technically you should always be online even if it's not an active frame
    same with BeBuzz
    a little confused here : /
    We just went over this ffs, Learn to read. Properly configured apps will still notify you if the system closes them! In iOS, Skype gets closed all the time. usually, if you run like 4 apps after using Skype, the system closes it. However, when someone messages you or calls, you still get notified, and when you click the notification, Skype opens.

    Push notifications work regardless of the app being open or closed
    TomJasper likes this.
  22. cjcampbell's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,687 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,691 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvalidUser0510 View Post
    I apologize, but you still have it wrong.



    Push notifications have nothing to do with the app's status. When you get a push notification, it's actually the OS notifying you, and only when you click the notification do you actually open the related app. That's why in iOS, you could get push notifications from every single app on your phone, and it doesn't require much system resources; because those apps are not individually being opened. If Google Talk or BBM happen to be the 9th app and close, you should still get notifications. I don't have a Z10 to test that theory, but if they're using push like they should be, it doesn't matter if they get closed. If they're like Android's Skype app, then ya, you wouldn't get notifications when they close, but I doubt that's the case.
    Thank you.

    I believe BBM is always connected and will always get notifications. As for G Talk, and other apps not connected to the hub, neither of us know exactly how it works, as you just stated. Perhaps BthunderW will revisit this thread and explain as he has the Z10 and was the one who mentioned the GTalk scenario and that's what I was really curious about. The comment "it killed it and effectively disconnected me from it it seems." is what intrigued me.
  23. brian_peterson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    864 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #23  

    Default

    InvalidUser0510 I specifically asked for people who have a BB 10 Device. I appreciate speculation. But I want real users to test it out. I know it "should" work... That's not what I am asking for. I am asking for real users to test it out. Thanks!

    So from the sounds of it Google Talk does not work after it's closed? That's what I gathered already?

    What about a media app other than the built in one? I find it interesting that the built in one prevents closing... I wonder if other apps can take advantage of that?
  24. Phill_UK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

    Posts
    12,709 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian_peterson View Post
    What about a media app other than the built in one? I find it interesting that the built in one prevents closing... I wonder if other apps can take advantage of that?
    Just tested this again with Tunein Radio, and it shut down completely once I reached 9 apps. After closing everything and reopening Tunein, the previous station I was streaming was not showing as available to play again.
    • That's Phill… with 2 L's
    Thanked by:
    ubizmo (02-02-2013) 
  25. polytope's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    333 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjcampbell View Post
    Thank you.

    I believe BBM is always connected and will always get notifications. As for G Talk, and other apps not connected to the hub, neither of us know exactly how it works, as you just stated. Perhaps BthunderW will revisit this thread and explain as he has the Z10 and was the one who mentioned the GTalk scenario and that's what I was really curious about. The comment "it killed it and effectively disconnected me from it it seems." is what intrigued me.
    Ok. GTalk, when CLOSED, still get a Spark (or splat) RIGHT AWAY when a new message comes in. However, the new messages don't get into the Hub (at least not right away).

    Not sure where GTalk gets its notification from even when not running.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Run the latest apps/games on rooted 4869/6149
    By xsacha in forum PlayBook Rooting
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 06:26 AM
  2. Mulitple Phones running the same app
    By jbautz in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
  3. Mulitple Phones running the same app
    By jbautz in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
  4. Could I run the following apps simultaneously without slowdown?
    By louis0nfire in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM
  5. Could I run the following apps simultaneously without slowdown?
    By louis0nfire in forum BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 01:09 AM

Posting Permissions