On my way home today I was listening to this local radio station here in Montreal and hey had a guy on who is a "tech expert" discussing various news from CES. He was there and said that he was in the AT&T section where he spoke to some RIM people and was told that RIM will be showing a device with BB10 on it at the upcoming show in Barcelona.

He didn't go into specifics but he said everyone was very excited about that and that this would be a very positive step for developers on the new OS.

Take it for what it's worth...don't have anything else other than that but if true this'll really get everyone excited and get the ball rolling. I've been trying to confirm this from other news sources and blogs but haven't found anything yet.

Hopefully, this is real and in a couple of weeks we get to see an early version of what we've been paiently waiting for!
    01-20-12 01:16 PM
    I hope it's true.

Which ever BB10 device they show it will need to knock everyone's socks off.

The first thing people are going to do is compare it to the the rumored iPhone 5. It will totally be unfair, but that's exactly what's going to happen.

RIM will need to play their cards right.
    01-20-12 01:26 PM
    i heard they will also demo pigs that fly.
    01-20-12 01:35 PM
    Every single piece of hardware shown by Rim AFTER the playbook as greatly disappointed me to a huge extent. 9900 included (no dual core, front camera, wont run BBX).

I am not expecting anything on the hardware front ; I have lost enough sleep due to their BB7 lineup. I will cheer when I will see it, and that is it.
    01-20-12 01:40 PM
    it was already been stated that RIM would be showing off BB10 at WES about a week or so ago. u can say it wont be fair to compare it to the iphone5 but then you're kind of assuming RIM wont have much to show off. People have to remember that by the time they even demo BB10, RIM will have had qnx for 2 years. they know whats at stake here and im sure theyve used that time wisely to produce something amazing....hopefully
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    01-20-12 01:43 PM
    Every single piece of hardware shown by Rim AFTER the playbook as greatly disappointed me to a huge extent. 9900 included (no dual core, front camera, wont run BBX).

I am not expecting anything on the hardware front ; I have lost enough sleep due to their BB7 lineup. I will cheer when I will see it, and that is it.
    Well if the Playbook impressed u, u dont think that RIM is gonna have specs on par, if not even better for their BB10 devices?
    01-20-12 01:52 PM
    Well if the Playbook impressed u, u dont think that RIM is gonna have specs on par, if not even better for their BB10 devices?
    technically you are right, they will have decent specs but late... Unfortunately, they keep canceling devices, promise false hope through fake announcements, deliver late by missing internal and external deadlines.

RIM in on a 14mo cycle with new phones. Nothing to show until early summer, availability later summer/fall.

When they release dual core phones, there will be some quad core androids, and iPhone 5 with something new -that is a guarantee - since apple innovates, folow well or set new trends
    01-20-12 02:17 PM
    I really hope they don't demo this phone..Have they not learned anything? Don't show off devices, make promises on products, until you are 100% of it.
    si_chindo and jordandrews90 like this.
    01-20-12 02:17 PM
    but I hope Im wrong. not a hater, just a disappointed shareholder and user.
    01-20-12 02:20 PM
    They're going to demo the BB10 OS, not BB10 devices.
    01-20-12 02:24 PM
    technically you are right, they will have decent specs but late... Unfortunately, they keep canceling devices, promise false hope through fake announcements, deliver late by missing internal and external deadlines.

RIM in on a 14mo cycle with new phones. Nothing to show until early summer, availability later summer/fall.

When they release dual core phones, there will be some quad core androids, and iPhone 5 with something new -that is a guarantee - since apple innovates, folow well or set new trends
    Other than speculation about cancellations of prototype phones, I have no clue what you're talking about.
    01-20-12 02:33 PM
    They're going to demo the BB10 OS, not BB10 devices.
    Perhaps, but it can't be too difficult to demo a slimmed down version on a current device. It doesn't have to be a fully functioning version, just a visual of how it will appear. I've always said that they should keep this OS on the front pages of blogs and tech sites just to keep the consumer's interest going. Look what Apple did with that iPhone left behind in a bar in SF. Don't you think that may have been deliberately planned to peak consumers' interests?

Look, I'm just as disapointed as the next guy but this has really got me stoked.
    01-20-12 02:34 PM
    ^^ +1 (John English post, fast answers guys !)
    Maybe "show undercover what it may be" but I doubt they "showcase" it ...
    If relevant, they do need some piece of hardware capable of running OS10.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-20-12 at 02:38 PM.
    01-20-12 02:36 PM
    Perhaps, but it can't be too difficult to demo a slimmed down version on a current device. It doesn't have to be a fully functioning version, just a visual of how it will appear. I've always said that they should keep this OS on the front pages of blogs and tech sites just to keep the consumer's interest going. Look what Apple did with that iPhone left behind in a bar in SF. Don't you think that may have been deliberately planned to peak consumers' interests?

Look, I'm just as disapointed as the next guy but this has really got me stoked.
    RIM got flak for the "look but don't touch" demo when they rolled out the PlayBook; that's the last thing they need now. Unless they have a fully functioning device they shouldn't be showing anything off.

If they show off an unfished device they get slaughtered by the press. You'll have people saying that "RIM is in such bad shape that they're proud to show off unfinished devices"
    southlander likes this.
    01-20-12 03:35 PM

Thing is, we cant say it will be late, or that it will have less specs than what the competition has. we dont know what processor they will use. even if RIM uses a dual core processor, it will still be more efficient than the ones currently out.

I guess what im really trying to say is that i ask anyone to tell me why a device really needs a quadcore processor? What applications are there out out there that can really take advantage of a quadcore processor, or that even make a dualcore processor slow up? Now i know people were saying the same thing back when dualcore came out, but dualcore is perfect in my opinion. i mean id be happy if they put in a quadcore processor, but i dont think its fair that people say that if RIM doesnt put it in their new devices that they are still behind. The Playbook shows exactly what is capable with a dualcore device thats only clocked at 1Ghz. Games look amazing...just look at dead space.

At this point, i would much rather companies (especially RIM) keep it at dualcore and starr focusing on getting more battery life out of devices. That will go a much longer way than throw more Ghz's into a device
    si_chindo and kemj like this.
    01-20-12 05:21 PM
    RIM got flak for the "look but don't touch" demo when they rolled out the PlayBook; that's the last thing they need now. Unless they have a fully functioning device they shouldn't be showing anything off.

If they show off an unfished device they get slaughtered by the press. You'll have people saying that "RIM is in such bad shape that they're proud to show off unfinished devices"
    i agree with pretty much everything u said....but i do think they could build a lot of excitement and make more than a few shareholders happy by showing some of what this OS will look like and how it will function. RIM has kept this secret for over 2 years. i think they can let a little info out the bag, just not everything like they did with the playbook. People and investor want to know what exactly they're doing with all these recent acquisitions and there are a lot....so i think RIM can afford to let a little info slip about the OS
    01-20-12 05:30 PM
    they better showcase something at Barcelona because RIM disappointed at CES.
    01-20-12 05:56 PM
    ^^ just depends on what u were expecting. we knew devices weren't going to be shown. I thought OS2 looked amazing and very well done....and they didnt show ever new feature of it. Cant wait for it to release
    01-20-12 06:09 PM
    I believe they'll show something that will prove the next BB10 phone is well under way and it will be great...calming investors and exciting BB users
    01-20-12 06:12 PM
    i agree with pretty much everything u said....but i do think they could build a lot of excitement and make more than a few shareholders happy by showing some of what this OS will look like and how it will function. RIM has kept this secret for over 2 years. i think they can let a little info out the bag, just not everything like they did with the playbook. People and investor want to know what exactly they're doing with all these recent acquisitions and there are a lot....so i think RIM can afford to let a little info slip about the OS
    That's what they're going to do in Barcelona. RIM confirmed that BB10 will be unveiled at MWC in Barcelona. It going to be a BB10 demo only, not BB10 devices.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-20-12 07:28 PM
    they better showcase something at Barcelona because RIM disappointed at CES.
    <cough-cough> Sorry, I choked up a phlegm ball reading that. Which year is that to which you refer? By most accounts, RIM attracted a good bit of attention not to mention some badly needed positive press this year.
    danimalchil, kemj and sk8er_tor like this.
    01-20-12 07:53 PM
    Demo 10 at MWC. Demo devices at WES/BBWorld. )
    01-20-12 07:56 PM
    ^^ugh i cant wait to see what BB10 looks like and the features its going to contain. I hope Cascades is all over this OS
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-20-12 08:08 PM
    At this point, i would much rather companies (especially RIM) keep it at dualcore and starr focusing on getting more battery life out of devices. That will go a much longer way than throw more Ghz's into a device
    You hit the nail smack on the head. The quad-core is another marketing ploy for the masses and those who do not know better. They have been conditioned to believe that the most important metric is the number of cores in a phone. Perhaps because phone manufacturers have reached the limit in battery power. So if they want to sell more phones, the best way to improve them is by dropping in more power and memory.

But like you so accurately pointed out just how much power does one need in a phone? PC's, laptops, even tablets I understand. But a phone? It's not like you're going to run a nuclear plant with it. I'd gladly give up the extra 2 cores for 6 more hours of battery life.

Some people are so easily fooled by marketing gimmicks.
    sleepngbear and sf49ers like this.
    01-20-12 08:08 PM
    BB10 OS = PlayBook OS 2.0 with Cascades...They will probably demo with a PlayBook...
    01-20-12 08:10 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD